Author Topic: Tire sizes usable on pre-94 model Connie's.  (Read 2478 times)

Offline vatrader01

Tire sizes usable on pre-94 model Connie's.
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:34:17 AM »
Well, my first post will gain me two strikes I'm afraid.....the first strike being the FNG, the second strike being a tire question.

So I have a 1993 Connie that needs shoes, and I'm looking hard at all options, including "wang tars".

This is a fitment question more than a solicitation of tire performance opinions....hopefully someone knows what will work, particularly on the front.....either they fit and work or they don't.

Stock front was 110/80-18 on the pre-94 models, if I'm not mistaken?  How much wiggle room is there, going up OR down on sizing?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

ETA: Lemme just throw a little gas on the fire.......I have a new 140/90-16 Dunlop laying around in case I ever wear out the one on my 'Mercun made motor sickle [and it looks like the Grim Reaper'll get me 'fore the road gets that tire]. With that 3.5 inch rear rim on the Connie, can I [safely, mind ya] go down to a 140 tire?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:47:25 PM by vatrader01 »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Tire sizes usable on pre-94 model Connie's.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
Pre-94 has a narrower front rim (2.15"?) than the latter models at 3.00" thus I would run NOTHING but a 110/80-18 on the front of the older model. With the latter model I'd still run the 110/80-18 over the 120/70-18 as it is pinched even on the wider 3.0" rim. As to the rear sure you can/could fit the 140/90-16 over the 150/80-16 but this is a bike that really needs good shoes not just whatever you can shoe horn into place.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline vatrader01

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
Pre-94 has a narrower front rim (2.15"?) than the latter models at 3.00" thus I would run NOTHING but a 110/80-18 on the front of the older model. With the latter model I'd still run the 110/80-18 over the 120/70-18 as it is pinched even on the wider 3.0" rim. As to the rear sure you can/could fit the 140/90-16 over the 150/80-16 but this is a bike that really needs good shoes not just whatever you can shoe horn into place.

Thanks for the reply. Is it feasible to use a later model rim on the pre-94 models without too many contortions or hemorrhaging of money? I'm interested in experimenting with the "wang tars". It looks like I may have a long term daily commute of about a hundred miles round trip in my future, and the Concours may draw commute duty. 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Is it feasible to use a later model rim on the pre-94 models without too many contortions or hemorrhaging of money? I'm interested in experimenting with the "wang tars". It looks like I may have a long term daily commute of about a hundred miles round trip in my future, and the Concours may draw commute duty.

Difficult.... Different size axle, bearings, brakes etc.... Go with a high quality radial such as the Avon Azario up front and you will still get a fairly long lived tire.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline vatrader01

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
Difficult.... Different size axle, bearings, brakes etc.... Go with a high quality radial such as the Avon Azario up front and you will still get a fairly long lived tire.

Thanks again for the input. I've run Azario's on my '98, they performed well in the WV twisties, but were far from a "long distance commuter tire" for me. Michelin Macadam's far outlasted the Azarios For MY commuter use, but it looks like they went the way of the rotary phone. I'm looking at 100 miles a day of flat straight slab to get to work and back, and the money tree has the blight, meaning "function" needs to trump "ideal"when it comes to setting this bike up for it's intended use. Non-conventional things become a consideration to less principled people as myself.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:13:51 PM by vatrader01 »

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »
stick with a stock sized front tire for now...if funds are limited, there is way too much expense involved to go to a wing sized front...

'02 C-10

Offline vatrader01

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
stick with a stock sized front tire for now...if funds are limited, there is way too much expense involved to go to a wing sized front...

Thanks. THAT's what I was lookin' for. Jus' the facts.

This is my third Concours, first early model, and I have to learn what works and what doesn't on this narrower front rim. I'd be grateful if I could learn from other's experience rather than signing on to Darwin's list or wasting a number of Benjamins. The search feature isn't picking up my search inquiries of "What the hell fits on the front end of this relic bike?"

..and I know...asking tire questions on the internet is like asking legal advice in a bar. Just that this front rim went out of production on the Connie 20 years ago, it's getting hard to find knowledgeable people that can answer a question without basing the answer on their own biases.