Author Topic: Strange sensation at clutch lever  (Read 6708 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Strange sensation at clutch lever
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »
Sometimes I will feel a slight "bump", or some kind of strange "friction" sensation, when I'm changing gears and letting out the clutch.  I don't know the best word to describe it.  The bike shifts and runs fine.

?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Strange sensation at clutch lever
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
dreaded star spring....do not ride the bike until you fix this, replacing the clutch plates adds anothe $100 to the repair, and you WILL ruin the clutch plates if you continue to ride it like this....
order the springs and replacement nut (new nut is required with the retrofit springs) from Murph...and do the deed...use search to find associated instructions on this procedure...

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_93&products_id=148

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Summit670

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »
Ditto,probably the star, esp if an older bike that has not had it replaced.  Easy job.  I didn't use any sealer on the gasket and it has been fine for a few years.

Make one of those clutch holders or something.  I used an impact driver and think I got it close to torque spec on install but kinda wish I had slowed down a little and made the tool or borrowed one.

You can "calibrate" an impact on a lug nut using the air pressure adjust knob on compressor and a torque wrench to approximate the torque.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
I had no problems 2 different times, having the bike in gear and my wife on the bike holding the rear brake on, while using a 30" breaker bar for removal, and a long 1/2" drive torque wrench for install.  I do suggest tho, that you take the socket to a bench grinder or belt sander and "face it" off, removing as much stock from the socket as needed to fully remove the internal chamfered reliefs (grind about 1/8" from face) to insure a good hex engagement on that nut, it's only about 1/4" thick, and you loose a lot of engagement with the socket chamfers...

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »
****.  What is the function of this star spring, and how difficult of a job is it?  I'm not very mechanically inclined. I do my own regular maintenance (valves, oil, brakes) but have never actually gone inside to fix a bike.  Is this doable for a relative n00b?  I do have the Clymer manual.  All this talk about impact drivers sounds pretty unpleasant...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
on a 10 scale it's about a 2..
very simple.
Just make sure you remove any broken off fingers from the clutch pack.

don't know where you live, but maybe you could coerce a COG member in your area to lend moral support, or help if there is a tech session near you...

the job is less than 1 hour, with cleanup.....very easy.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
on a 10 scale it's about a 2..
very simple.
Just make sure you remove any broken off fingers from the clutch pack.

don't know where you live, but maybe you could coerce a COG member in your area to lend moral support, or help if there is a tech session near you...

the job is less than 1 hour, with cleanup.....very easy.

Well, that's encouraging, I guess.  But considering my first valve adjustment took me many hours because I did everything so slow, maybe not  ;D

I live in Bucks County, PA.  So, any members wanna help out?  Beer's on me.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 04:15:01 AM »
What year is your Connie? Check the brass/bronze/gold bushing in the clutch handle before you start tearing your clutch apart. The bushing does wear out and when it does you will get an odd bump feeling in the clutch handle. I know I did. Good luck.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
What year is your Connie? Check the brass/bronze/gold bushing in the clutch handle before you start tearing your clutch apart. The bushing does wear out and when it does you will get an odd bump feeling in the clutch handle. I know I did. Good luck.

1990.  Also, this sensation is inconsistent.  I recently changed the oil, and I'll have to start paying attention if it's still happening.  Also, is there a difference if it happens while upshifting, or downshifting?

Offline cmoore

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:21 AM »
Should be no difference if you are up shifting or down shifting. If the problem is there it's there. Mine kind of had a notch feeling in it like I was hitting something odd every time I would pull the clutch handle.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Summit670

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:25 AM »
Mine had the intermittant strange sensation and a few of the star spring tabs were broke.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:07 PM »
I have a question about this.  Is this something that should/could be replaced  at xxx.xxx miles as part of preventive maintenace?  I ride alot as most of you all know like alot of other members here  and would hate to be down for this spring. So lets say I have 50,000 mile on my scoot, should I be looking at replacing this as part of preventive maintence? or wait for it to start acting up and then replace it?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
I have a question about this.  Is this something that should/could be replaced  at xxx.xxx miles as part of preventive maintenace?  I ride alot as most of you all know like alot of other members here  and would hate to be down for this spring. So lets say I have 50,000 mile on my scoot, should I be looking at replacing this as part of preventive maintence? or wait for it to start acting up and then replace it?

Cheers
Ron

IIRC the actual factory recall came out in 98', but i can't say for sure cause i can't get to GBYII's old webstuff, he had the report there.
I would suggest replacing them on any pre 98 bike a.s.a.p., and not wait till the crap out....
reason:
You will likely TRY to ride it and eek out a few more miles even knowing it crapped out, and doing so may place you in a situation where you really need the clutch working perfectly  (Like stuck in traffic jam, or worse yet, climbing a mountain somewheres...) Abusing the clutch at that point simply ruins the friction plates, and will rapidly warp and blue up the steeel ones in short order...
Friction plates run about $115 at Murphs for EBC, and factory ones are almost as much, and if you hose up the steel ones, you will be screwed because you have to match stack height very critically, so you would need to Mic all of them, and replace them based on that, to get correct stack...that's a p.i.t.a., and if you don't do that, slipper clutch and star spring won't work correctly, an you will hose the whole thing up again.

best to replace when in doubt...
Oh, and the newer bikes are not without failures there either, and I have word even the dual spring replacements are not totally infallable, but they last a lot longer.... ;)

just make sure what ever you do, replace the nut with the new version nut, the old p/n nuts are still floating around, and will not work with the new dual spring system.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
Thanks MOB, I'll think I'll have one on standby for my '06.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
OK so is there at least some kind of write-up about the star spring fix on here?  It would be nice to have something in addition to the service manual.

Offline emjayw

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
I too had been feeling a slight "bump" when upshifting occasionally and after reading these posts I decided to look at things a bit closer.  Sometimes we try too hard to define a problem when the actual "fix" may be very simple.  I removed both my clutch and brake lever pivot bolts and cleaned them and greased them before reinstalling.  Presto, no more "bump" or friction when shifting.  Seems after a 4-day 2100 mile Colorado trip with too much rain in August most of the lube had washed out or dried up during our overly hot summer here in North Texas.  Look for the simple fixes first...  it may solve your problem.  Mike in TX