Author Topic: Yes, a tire question...  (Read 3108 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Yes, a tire question...
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
I have Avon Roadriders on my 1990 Concours.  I will need a rear tire very soon.  I'm kind of disappointed with the rear tire life.  It's almost down to the wear bars.  I don't remember what mileage I had when I put on it, but it's definitely been less than 10k miles.  The front still has plenty of tread left.

Can anybody recommend a longer-lasting rear tire?  Almost all of my riding is on the interstates, so it would be nice to have a tire that gets more than 10k miles.  Keep in mind that I do still want good grip, and I ride in all weather, so rain performance is important.

Also, I would ideally like a matching set of tires, but since I have the older Concours, where the front tire size is a 110, there aren't many options.  Is there another set of tires I can try, or is there just a rear tire that will work well with a Roadrider front?

Yes, I know about the tire chart, but it really doesn't tell me anything in terms of mileage.  Plus, most of the tires there aren't even made anymore.

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
Re: Yes, a tire question...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
I run a Kenda kruse gold wing size. It has 10k on it, looks like it will go 5k more. The front is a 110 90.
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
Avon Venom will last a long time and provide good grip to boot plus it will mate very well with your Roadrider.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
10K on my Avon AM42 Venom rear so far.  Looks like another 6-10K is in the cards, I'll let y'all know.  I'm happy with the tire, and it performs well, but I miss having matched Pilot GTs (damn Michelin discontinuing tires anyways!).  My GT front is now close to done, with about 18K miles on it.  I'm close to parking season on the bike (a new one for me), so I'll probably need to replace said front in the spring.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:03:06 PM by Two Skies »
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
Avon Venom will last a long time and provide good grip to boot plus it will mate very well with your Roadrider.

How much mileage can I expect on the Venom?  Also, if I do get a Venom rear, should I get the H or V rated?  The Roadrider front is V-rated.  Does this even matter?

Looking on the Motorcycle Superstore website, the closest Venom front size to my stock 110/80-18 is either a 100/90-18 or a 120/90-18.  Would either fit on the front of my Concours, and if yes, how would it affect handling and speedo/tach readout?

Also, the Metzeler 880s seem to get very high mileage, but horrible reviews on traction, especially in the wet.  Are they REALLY that bad?  15-20k tread life sounds so enticing...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »
I've never run an ME880 but I hear that wear like hard plastic and ride just as poorly....

How long will a Venom last? Don't know; sold mine long ago for 17" wheels; but from what I read 15,000 should be easy to do.

No matter if you have the older bike with the 2.15" wheel or the newer bike with the 3.0" wheel I do not recommend any size other than the 110/80 unless you have the newer bike and want to run GoldWing sized 130/70-18 in the front and 160/80-16 in the rear. The stock 120/70-18 for the newer bike would be my last choice as I don't like how it fits the 3.0" rim; as it is pinched and provides less contact patch.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
I've never run an ME880 but I hear that wear like hard plastic and ride just as poorly....

How long will a Venom last? Don't know; sold mine long ago for 17" wheels; but from what I read 15,000 should be easy to do.

No matter if you have the older bike with the 2.15" wheel or the newer bike with the 3.0" wheel I do not recommend any size other than the 110/80 unless you have the newer bike and want to run GoldWing sized 130/70-18 in the front and 160/80-16 in the rear. The stock 120/70-18 for the newer bike would be my last choice as I don't like how it fits the 3.0" rim; as it is pinched and provides less contact patch.

Thanks.  Guess I'll be ordering a Venom, then.  Should I get the H or V rated one?  The V rated is more expensive.  My Roadrunner front is V rated.  Does this even matter?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
H rating is plenty good as it's good to what 130 MPH.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
H rating is plenty good as it's good to what 130 MPH.

Yep, which happens to be the top speed on the Concours.   ;)

I just thought maybe there was a longevity/grip difference.