Author Topic: Is it possible for carb slides to be "hammered"?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Is it possible for carb slides to be "hammered"?
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »
So soon after I got this bike a year ago, I took it to a mechanic, which turned out to be a huge mistake as it left him in worse shape than when I gave it to him.

All the problems I'm having now with it have got me wondering about the condition of the carbs again.

Anyway, among other things, he told me at the time that the carb slides were "hammered", sticking, and needed replacement (needless to say I turned that one down as the slides are $100 each and the bike was running fine before).  Is this even possible?  I don't see how a carb slide can be damaged just from normal operation.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: Is it possible for carb slides to be "hammered"?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
Slides do get wear marks after years of use, or grooves where they contact the carb body, this is what he was reffering to as "hammered". I just had my carbs at Steve's in Florida for some work, and I had the same question about my slides which had the same wear marks. Steve told me that the wear was normal and would not affect performance. My bike runs better than it ever has even with "hammered slides".
I did take some #600 wet sand paper and smooth the sharp edges off.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
Slides do get wear marks after years of use, or grooves where they contact the carb body, this is what he was reffering to as "hammered". I just had my carbs at Steve's in Florida for some work, and I had the same question about my slides which had the same wear marks. Steve told me that the wear was normal and would not affect performance. My bike runs better than it ever has even with "hammered slides".
I did take some #600 wet sand paper and smooth the sharp edges off.

Cool, thanks.  Considering the complete incompetence of this mechanic, I'll assume he was bullshitting about the slides as well.  Just checking.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
Cool, thanks.  Considering the complete incompetence of this mechanic, I'll assume he was bullshitting about the slides as well.  Just checking.

Hey thats how dealerships make their money. They pay 50% or less for the slides and sell them to you for $100 a piece, then charge you $75/hour to install them. I worked at two dealerships during my mechanicing days, so I know how the scam works. And if you think a "first service" really does include
checking everything, than I have some beachfront property in Arizona you might be interested in. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »
Hey thats how dealerships make their money. They pay 50% or less for the slides and sell them to you for $100 a piece, then charge you $75/hour to install them. I worked at two dealerships during my mechanicing days, so I know how the scam works. And if you think a "first service" really does include
checking everything, than I have some beachfront property in Arizona you might be interested in.

This guy was an independent mechanic but yeah I got ripped off as it is.