Author Topic: Installing Genmar risers  (Read 3129 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Installing Genmar risers
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
This may seem retarded but does anyone have a detailed write-up of how to install Genmar risers?  Preferably with pics.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:23:21 PM by knight_mare »

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Re: Installing Genmar risers
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 07:29:14 AM »
Thanks.  Just installed them yesterday, once I got around to it, it was really self-explanatory.

The only thing is that now I won't be able to access the air valve on my right fork without removing the handlebar.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »
if you have sonic 1.2 springs you wont ever need air.  ;D

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »
if you have sonic 1.2 springs you wont ever need air.  ;D

If I had the money for all the upgrades that seem to be necessary for this bike, I'd get a brand new bike that doesn't break down all the time instead.  I've already poured WAAAYYY too much money into this pile of rust.

I lust for a Triumph Scrambler.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:44:58 AM by T Cro ® »

Offline Bikenagain

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:03:25 PM »
Air valve should be just the same to access as if it was stock. Did you get a valve extensions with the kit, if not you must have got the later model kit. Only difference is the valve extension. Just buy two and put them on with the original fork caps.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
Air valve should be just the same to access as if it was stock. Did you get a valve extensions with the kit, if not you must have got the later model kit. Only difference is the valve extension. Just buy two and put them on with the original fork caps.

I got the risers used from a member here.  Where can I get the valve extension?  And where would it go through?  There's no hole or anything in the riser cap for a valve to poke through.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »
You just screw it in when you need to check the air.  I'm using one from a Honda QA-50 that's about 3" long.  They needed one to check/add air to the tires.  I carry it in the side pocket.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Bikenagain

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
You can pick up the valve extensions from any auto store. If you get the right length , about the same length as the risers are high as this puts the top of the extensions just above the top as was it originally and then use your original fork caps that screw onto the valve extension top like they did on it when it was stock.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »
BTW, if you do have your original fork caps and aren't going to use them, hold on to them anyway.

Kawasaki does not stock them anymore.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »
Just checked, turns out the caps on the risers pop off easily with a flathead screwdriver.  So no problem, I'll just get a valve extension and checking pressure will be easy.  Thanks everyone.