Author Topic: I guess I need to have this fixed  (Read 3005 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
I guess I need to have this fixed
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:45:09 PM »
I noticed this while putting the bike in the garage after my ride home from work today:

Right shock is obviously leaking at the seal. Bummer. I washed the bike about 6 weeks ago (only ridden it maybe 12 times since then) and cleaned that real good, so it is fresh.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

Re: I guess I need to have this fixed
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:26:58 AM »
Before you spend a lot of time or money replacing the seals, try Seal Mate:

http://sealmate.net/

They've never failed to work for me.

Offline bob h

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 05:44:42 AM »
+1!!!

Worth a try; inexpensive, and it's worked for me several times!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:48:13 AM »
Every bike I have ever owned with inverted forks does this occasionally and most of the time using something like Sealmate tool (in the past I've used a piece of 35mm film) fixes the problem easy peasy.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
Sealmate on order! Should be here Saturday and I should be able to get to it on Sunday or Monday.

Thanks for the info! Looks like a great, inexpensive fix!
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
I'm going to get one too and throw in the toolbox for when I need it.

In my dirt biking days I can't imagine how many fork seals I changed.
Wonder how many $$ I would have saved by having one of these...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
A thin, flexible, sturdy piece of plastic is all you really need.  Cut up a plastic milk jug and soften/round the edges and go to town.  Insert it far enough to penetrate the width of the seal and go around the tube.  Bounce the front end a few times and repeat once or twice more.

Of course, I found out about this stupid-easy fix after I paid for a complete seal replacement.  8)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
A thin, flexible, sturdy piece of plastic is all you really need.  Cut up a plastic milk jug and soften/round the edges and go to town.  Insert it far enough to penetrate the width of the seal and go around the tube.  Bounce the front end a few times and repeat once or twice more.

Of course, I found out about this stupid-easy fix after I paid for a complete seal replacement.  8)

Plastic 2 liter coke bottle works also for those lactose intolerant fork seals out there. lol
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:45 AM »
He has a 09 I would think it's seal replacement time if they haven't been done already. Esspecially if the fluid/oil hasn't been changed regularly. Seal mates are great in a pinch or on the road but it's usually not a long term fix unless its just fluke. But what do I know?  :loco:

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »
He has a 09 I would think it's seal replacement time if they haven't been done already. Esspecially if the fluid/oil hasn't been changed regularly. Seal mates are great in a pinch or on the road but it's usually not a long term fix unless its just fluke. But what do I know?  :loco:

I don't know, my 2009's forks don't leak.  :popcorn:

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Got the SealMate on Friday and today I had time to work on it. So far so good. The hose clips were a pain and I got the two rear ones off without breaking or cutting them, but the forward one (right side) there is no way to get in there even with the long needle-nose plyers I have, so I cut it.

I will report back after a few rides (didn't feel like riding it other than around the block today).

I also mounted the light mounting brackets from n3nman on the other forum mounted. Need to get some good hook-up wire and shorter bolts before I can mount the lights onto them, but they went on easy.
Scott

Offline jwh20

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:58 PM »
Got the SealMate on Friday and today I had time to work on it. So far so good. The hose clips were a pain and I got the two rear ones off without breaking or cutting them, but the forward one (right side) there is no way to get in there even with the long needle-nose plyers I have, so I cut it.

I will report back after a few rides (didn't feel like riding it other than around the block today).

I also mounted the light mounting brackets from n3nman on the other forum mounted. Need to get some good hook-up wire and shorter bolts before I can mount the lights onto them, but they went on easy.

You might need 2 or 3 "treatments" with the SealMates in some cases.  So don't give up after one try if the leak continues.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
You might need 2 or 3 "treatments" with the SealMates in some cases.  So don't give up after one try if the leak continues.

Got it, thanks!
Scott

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »
FYI, so far so good. Rode to and from work today which included some good compression of the forks several times and the tubes were nice and clean when I got home.
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »
Yep, it really works.  I was amazed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc