Author Topic: How to remove pistons from Calipers  (Read 9076 times)

Offline Shoe

Re: How to remove pistons from Calipers
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
Can Someone fill in the blank please.  THink i was moving to fast and shoulda removed the cylinders by engaging brake and letting them pop out.  At this point the calipers (front) are removed from bike, torx bolts removed...and pistons inplace.  Read the manual and it suggested using compressed air...where to stick the hose?  Also guess I need to buy a compressed air unit now, or is there another way of popping them out?

I have successfully removed caliper pistons with an air pump the I used to inflate bicycle tires (it was one of those foot pumps that were popular at one time). I inserted the pointy thing used to inflate air mattresses into the hose and held it in place with my hand.

I have graduated from the pump to a real air compressor, so that's what I would use if I had to do it, but a foot pump works.  ;D
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Fretka

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
A Zerk fitting and a grease gun for the tough ones! (have someone stand in the next zip-code ready to catch the piston)

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
Where do you put the Zerk fitting, in the hose attachment hole? Are metric, straight- thread Zerk fittings available?

I would think a grease gun would work OK on a one- piston slave cylinder or one- piston caliper but the calipers on a C-14 have four pistons. ??? Once one piston is out, the volume of leaking grease would be more than a grease gun could keep up with I would think?

Brian

A Zerk fitting and a grease gun for the tough ones! (have someone stand in the next zip-code ready to catch the piston)

Fretka
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
It is true, Haroldo is a man among men. He will run where angels fear to tread. A true hero.

Actually, I think Haroldo found the secret to life- never give in and never, ever let them wipe the smile off your face. Sort of like a modern version of 'Illegitimis non carborundum' (more or less meaning- never let the bastards wear you down).

Of all the threads lost, I think one of the best was 'What is the most commonly used shim size....' or something similar. 47 pages if I remember and it was like a Greek tragedy written by Robyn Williams and performed by Yoda. I used to wait for the next posting in that thread.

Brian

Haroldo is our HERO. He fearlessly attacks mechanical feats most of us shudder to think about. And when all goes rather badly pays the [very high] price of rescue like a man, without bitterness or whining.
[$3000+ if IIRC]
The guy has a wonderful sense of humor and us old timers miss his  posts!
Although he is our hero, we do not nec. wish to be like him.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
Hey Dave, how are you? Great to see you back again!

If opportunity knocks, we are having a spring event in RI next May. I think most of the northeast regulars will be there with a handful of new folks- it would be fantastic if you could make it. Maybe we could find a lounge somewhere and watch Cap'n Bob show us what a 2- for- 1 special is really all about again.  :D  Let me know if you are interested and again, great to see you back here.

Brian

You guys are downright mean.. and on Christmas no less... one blown engine and the poor guy's reputation is tainted for life.  All in fun I know.  I don't have my pic up yet but this is my first post on this site.  Hi Brian.. nice to see you again.

Dave

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
And that's it in a nutshell....

Haroldo gave us much pleasure and his posts were marvelous in that he was very detailed in his adventures in C14 repairs.  He was epic and we miss him.  But now we have Will.  One door closes and another opens.

As far as needing a cup....I don't think so.  We did not make fun or deride him in his adventures that he shared with us.  We relished them as a novel you couldn't put down or a movie that you had to keep watching.

Will, your escapades in wrenching on the C14, with the detail you provide, are helping others to do their own maintenance.  The information is priceless and we thank you for that.   :thumbs:

Cool!  That is the goal. :)
Will

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
That thread had it all!  Enthusiasm, tragedy, intestinal fortitude, shop bill  :) and humor.  Classic. 

It is true, Haroldo is a man among men. He will run where angels fear to tread. A true hero.

Actually, I think Haroldo found the secret to life- never give in and never, ever let them wipe the smile off your face. Sort of like a modern version of 'Illegitimis non carborundum' (more or less meaning- never let the bastards wear you down).

Of all the threads lost, I think one of the best was 'What is the most commonly used shim size....' or something similar. 47 pages if I remember and it was like a Greek tragedy written by Robyn Williams and performed by Yoda. I used to wait for the next posting in that thread.

Brian
T.S.R.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »
Hey Dave, how are you? Great to see you back again!

If opportunity knocks, we are having a spring event in RI next May. I think most of the northeast regulars will be there with a handful of new folks- it would be fantastic if you could make it. Maybe we could find a lounge somewhere and watch Cap'n Bob show us what a 2- for- 1 special is really all about again.  :D  Let me know if you are interested and again, great to see you back here.

Brian

Brian,

I'm all in for May, sounds like a load of fun, I haven't been riding much due to obligations but I will be overdue for a nice long ride by then.  I hadn't visited the forum in a few weeks or so and I went to log on and it was gone.. I was crushed.  I thought the whole site had been swallowed by COG, nothing against them but I preferred our Forum best.  Just got a new laptop and my first search found this site.  I'd love to see Cap'n Bob as well. 

Dave

P.S. Tell Andrea I said hello... ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
You guys are downright mean.. and on Christmas no less... one blown engine and the poor guy's reputation is tainted for life.  All in fun I know.  I don't have my pic up yet but this is my first post on this site.  Hi Brian.. nice to see you again.

Dave

^^^^  good to see you again too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Fretka

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
Brian, the grease gun method is a last ditch, done everything else kinda thing that newish brakes probably won't need. This is used for the '62 E-type Jag that you just found forgotten behind someones barn for the last 4 decades.
It does work but makes a helluva mess!

Bruce
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
^^^^  good to see you again too

Howdy Steve... some things change with time but I have seen a couple of posts.. enough to see nothing has changed with you.  I will always look up to you as my inspiration.. I often wish to have your lifestyle. BTW, which FX are you using?  I would guess the 700 but it's just a guess.  I just picked up the 7000, DX format but it has amazing low light capability and the video is fantastic. 

Dave