Author Topic: About time for new tires  (Read 14302 times)

Offline gflint

About time for new tires
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
The tires are about toast so time to get a good tire thread going.  I am running PR2s at the moment and have been very satisfied.  What is the latest and greatest?  I see there is a PR3 out.  Anybody have a comparison with the PR2?  Some people have been raving about the Pirelli Angles.  How do they compare to the PR2 and PR3?  Wear is a big factor of course but I like to corner pretty hard so I am more interested in the handling aspect.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline Reid

• Arena
Re: About time for new tires
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
At the Run With the Wolf Rally a couple of weeks ago, I had to put a new rear tire on.  The dealer up in Blairsville did not have any more PR2's or PR3's, but had a Pirelli Angel.  So far the Pirelli has been an awesome tire.  Corners well (no chicken strips after the first 100 miles of N.Ga twisties)!  Price was about the same as the PR3.
2008 C-14 (Silver Belle)
Russell Daylong seat
Cal-Sci windshield
S.Ga. AAD

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:17:18 PM »
 The design of the tires point to the PR2's lasting longer at the expence of handling. Not that they are bad. Just geared more towards higher milage with good handling added in the mix. Where as the Pirelli seems to use a formula geared toward handling, with better wear being added in.
 The Pirelli will probably be a batter choice over the Michelin for the way you like to ride, basiclly being "more interested in the handling aspect"! The Pirelli's excel at that. But also wear pretty good. Just probably not as good as the Michelins, which are geared more towards mileage.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
I have used both tires, one set of Pirelli Angel GTs and five sets of Michelin PR2s. Have not tried the PR3's yet because I am wary of the siping cuts in the tires; they usually enhance foul weather performance at the expense of dry pavement performance.

Both the Pirellis and Michelins are excellent tires and pretty close in performance. The Angels grip a little better and work better at lower temps., say below about 45 F to maybe 35 F where I just stop pushing tires at all. The Michelins wear better but it isn't a huge difference, something like 20% or so at a guess. The major difference between the tires I found was how the profiles wear, especially on the rear tire: the Michelins still perform well as they gather miles while the Pirellis get really difficult to turn in by the half- way point in tire life. So I have chosen the Michelins over the Pirellis. All of this is just my opinion of course. I also thing the Pirellis might perform better on a lighter bike, perhaps something like a ZX 14 used for long distance touring instead of aggressive street riding. As far as the fronts go, I slightly prefer the Angels because they grip as well, seem to last as long and actually show fewer 'lumps and bumps' as they were compared to the Michelins.

Both are great tires and I don't think either one would be a mistake.

As the prices continue to increase on name brand tires, I am really tempted to try a set of Shinkos, at least the rear tire. I would not expect them to last as long as either the Michelins or Pirellis but even if they last 2/3 as long, they would be the better buy, at least for local use. Most of the reports on Shinkos being used on C-14s have been very good regarding performance.

Brian

The tires are about toast so time to get a good tire thread going.  I am running PR2s at the moment and have been very satisfied.  What is the latest and greatest?  I see there is a PR3 out.  Anybody have a comparison with the PR2?  Some people have been raving about the Pirelli Angles.  How do they compare to the PR2 and PR3?  Wear is a big factor of course but I like to corner pretty hard so I am more interested in the handling aspect.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
I am going to have to change my rear shortly. Any experience with avon storm 2s? They have a $25-$50 rebate going for the month.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
The design of the tires point to the PR2's lasting longer at the expence of handling. Not that they are bad. Just geared more towards higher milage with good handling added in the mix. Where as the Pirelli seems to use a formula geared toward handling, with better wear being added in.
 The Pirelli will probably be a batter choice over the Michelin for the way you like to ride, basiclly being "more interested in the handling aspect"! The Pirelli's excel at that. But also wear pretty good. Just probably not as good as the Michelins, which are geared more towards mileage.

blah, my michelins are still entact when my pegs are scraping like crazy and my boys in front of me on sportbikes are all over their knee-pucks.  please show me someone who can outride the michelins grip with a behemoth C14 (track or street) 

I would love to meet him and chat.   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bob

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
blah, my michelins are still entact when my pegs are scraping like crazy and my boys in front of me on sportbikes are all over their knee-pucks.  please show me someone who can outride the michelins grip with a behemoth C14 (track or street) 

I would love to meet him and chat.

Have you tried the Pirelli's?

If so, I respect your opinion, although I do not agree with it.

If not, you have no true experience to make comments on what I posted! Only what you assume!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »

If not, you have no true experience to make comments on what I posted! Only what you assume!

I didn't comment on the performance of the perelli's, I commented on the performance of the michelins.  and since I've used them on street and track I can call BS on them being slick.

for example, let me back up the utter BS in this thread with photo's of sportbikes on their knee pucks and my michelins hanging in there just fine on the C14 with zero slippage:

yea.....  real "slick" those michelins.  I heard on the Internet they don't stick 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »

beware when using the mega-sticky Michelins, if you let your pegs get too worn you'll scrape your pannier baggage

Bob

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 05:55:07 PM »
 Once again I said: " The design of the tires point to the PR2's lasting longer at the expense of handling. Not that they are bad. Just geared more towards higher mileage with good handling added in the mix. Where as the Pirelli seems to use a formula geared toward handling, with better wear being added in."

I stand by that. The Pirelli's grip better than the michelins do, period!  ;)  Just because you live in a climate where it's never below 85 degrees and the Michelin's perform well for you. You still ignore the fact the the Pirelli's are a grippier tire and will perform better, especially for what the OP was looking for! The Michelin's will more than likely last longer because of the design (being a harder tire). But from what he described, the Pirelli will more than likely work better for him.

And again Steven, if you want to see "someone who can outride the michelins grip with a behemoth C14 (track or street) ". Just look in the mirror, probably yourself, with a pair of Pirelli's on your bike.  :o   You are great at making comments on how good you think the Michelin's are without actually having experienced how much better the competition truly is!  8)
 You said for the longest time that you would only run Michelin's! Then you switched to you would like to try Angels, but they don't make them in 190/55. Then even after it was shown to you that you can get Angels in 190/55, you don't try them. Instead you still claim your not completely informed opinion that Michelin is the best! But you have yet to man up and do what you said you would do, try the Angel in 190/55. Or do you now need Pirelli's that were only made at 3:35 AM on a Sunday morning. Or maybe, only Pirelli's that are Kosher. Or maybe only Pirelli's that are only made in a Michelin plant. What will the excuse be next?  ;D

How about put your money where your mouth has been and try the Angels. Then afterwards, lets see if you truly can say that nothing handles better than your PR2's? You won't though. Because probably every person who has gone from PR2's and tried Angels come back impressed on how much better the Angels handle over the PR2's. The closest back up you have is BDF. He has always been a PR2 advocate and even he has to admit that the Angels handle better.  So come on hot shot, you've been talking for over a year. Man up and do what you said. Try the Angels and then try to talk smack.
 Or is it that since you live in Florida and the roads have no turns, that grip doesn't matter to you, because you never turn anyway! Maybe that what your thinking. The OP doesn't need to turn and only wear matters!!!!!!  :rotflmao:

I didn't comment on the performance of the perelli's, I commented on the performance of the michelins.  and since I've used them on street and track I can call BS on them being slick.

for example, let me back up the utter BS in this thread with photo's of sportbikes on their knee pucks and my michelins hanging in there just fine on the C14 with zero slippage:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »

Pirelli's!  I knew it!   :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
Go Cap'n Bob, GO!  ;D

You did pretty well for a day and then start to slip pretty fast for another day. Now you are all the way back to your ole' self.

Let's see: Sun in sky, check. Oceans full of water, check. Cap'n Bob back chewin' up the keyboard and going at it with Steve, check. Life is good, again.

;D

Just so we're all clear on this, what are you saying Bob- Pirellis good, Michelins bad? Check.  ;D

Brian

Once again I said:

<snipped rhetoric>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Just so we're all clear on this, what are you saying Bob- Pirellis good, Michelins bad? Check.  ;D

Brian

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying for what the OP is looking for in a tire, the Pirelli is probably the better choice for him!

And That Steve still is giving out  less than fully informed/experienced  opinions!  ;D

Offline CEuler

• Have Fun, Ride Safe!!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
Sorry to butt in, can someone please explain "chicken strips", "cupping" and "flat spotting"?  It may seem self explanatory, i just want to make sure i know what i am looking for. 

Thanks. 
2008 Kawasaki C14
COG# 9399
ROK# 100027255

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
Not really much of a concern unless you use Pirelli tires (down Bob!).  ;)

Seriously, chicken strips are the unused edges on a tire, usually this refers to the rear tire. The term implies that you are 'chicken' to lean the bike over and use the 'rest' of the tire and so it leaves strips of unused tire near the edges. Cupping is uneven wear on a tire, usually shaped <more or less> like waves on the ocean and this usually happens on the front tire although it can happen on the rear also. Flat spotting, or just flattening is where the tire wears mostly in the center and the tire shape becomes more flat than round. This usually happens on the rear tire and happens because the bike is used for more straight riding than cornering. Highway riding can flatten tires pretty badly.

Brian

Sorry to butt in, can someone please explain "chicken strips", "cupping" and "flat spotting"?  It may seem self explanatory, i just want to make sure i know what i am looking for. 

Thanks.

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »

Or is it that since you live in Florida and the roads have no turns, that grip doesn't matter to you, because you never turn anyway! Maybe that what your thinking. The OP doesn't need to turn and only wear matters!!!!!!  :rotflmao:

Hey, I live in florida... like my Kenda Kruse tires just fine. Low cost, high milage and they all slip in the sand 8)
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
I think at times that Steve has a total love affair with Michelin.....maybe even sleeps with a fresh PR2 beside him?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Bob

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
Pirelli's!  I knew it!   :rotflmao:

Actually, I have PR3's in the garage, ready to go on the bike for their test. Hopefully I have better success with this pair!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »

As the prices continue to increase on name brand tires, I am really tempted to try a set of Shinkos, at least the rear tire. I would not expect them to last as long as either the Michelins or Pirellis but even if they last 2/3 as long, they would be the better buy, at least for local use. Most of the reports on Shinkos being used on C-14s have been very good regarding performance.

Brian

FWIW I love the Raven on the rear of my C14.  I have over 3000 miles on it now and it looks to have a little more than 2000 miles or so left in it.  I will report back after my 1600 mile trip next weekend.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline CEuler

• Have Fun, Ride Safe!!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 06:33:56 AM »
Thanks Brian.

Chicken strips, thats funny!   The others were as i suspected.  Thanks for the info!
2008 Kawasaki C14
COG# 9399
ROK# 100027255