Author Topic: Corbin seat comparison?  (Read 20715 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: Corbin seat comparison?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »
I don't like Corbin seats at all. I've had them on the last 15 bikes I purchased.

Reasons:

a. they use real leather and fiberglass base pans. The cheap seat and base pan used by all motorcycle manufacturers are much better.
b. Corbin uses closed cell foam which is hard. So hard in fact that the seats eliminate hot spots and support even distribution of weight.
c. the Corbin seat on my 10 Concours removed the forward slant of the original seat, something i was not in favor of as the tank was the only contact my "miss happy girl" ever got.
d. the Corbin seat has caused me to take much longer rides and overnights therefore increasing the money I spend on hotels, meals, and gas.
e. they had pink (or close enough) leather which makes a girl very happy.

Pink? Really? Picture please!   ;D
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »
Every time I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and order the heated Corbin modular, I see a post like this and get nervous.   It is a lot of $$$ and when the reviews are so mixed, it makes it hard to justify the chance.   

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 08:30:17 AM »
I don't like Corbin seats at all. I've had them on the last 15 bikes I purchased.

Reasons:

a. they use real leather and fiberglass base pans. The cheap seat and base pan used by all motorcycle manufacturers are much better.
b. Corbin uses closed cell foam which is hard. So hard in fact that the seats eliminate hot spots and support even distribution of weight.
c. the Corbin seat on my 10 Concours removed the forward slant of the original seat, something i was not in favor of as the tank was the only contact my "miss happy girl" ever got.
d. the Corbin seat has caused me to take much longer rides and overnights therefore increasing the money I spend on hotels, meals, and gas.
e. they had pink (or close enough) leather which makes a girl very happy.

So I don't get it.   You like the corbin or you don't?   A, B, and C are against the Corbin but then D and E are in favor of it?   You say the seat is hard, removes the forward slant but then say that it is (apparently) so comfortable that you ride longer because of it.

Confused?

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
So I don't get it.   You like the corbin or you don't?   A, B, and C are against the Corbin but then D and E are in favor of it?   You say the seat is hard, removes the forward slant but then say that it is (apparently) so comfortable that you ride longer because of it.

Confused?

Think tongue in cheek.......

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
Every time I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and order the heated Corbin modular, I see a post like this and get nervous.   It is a lot of $$$ and when the reviews are so mixed, it makes it hard to justify the chance.

Read the can Doc...  ;)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »
I had the same Corbin seat on my last two bikes and over 125,000 miles. Got a new one for the Concours. I find it to be very hard and it is molded to fit your butt (or somebody's) and holds me in just one spot, this adds up to aching legs after a long day. I'd prefer a flatter surface that doesn't hold you in one spot. It does keep me from sliding forward better than the stock or Sargent did. If you try one and don't like it you can probably sell it on the forum easily.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Again, I appreciate all the posts and opinions.  I believe I will get another Russell Day Long.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 03:23:37 PM »
Again, I appreciate all the posts and opinions.  I believe I will get another Russell Day Long.

I bet they're comfy, but they sure fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »

"I believe I will get another Russell Day Long."  ???

I bet they're comfy, but they sure fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

+1...

:doublepuke:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »

They *are* lot of money.  IMHO the quality of both Sargent and Corbin are high- perhaps equal.  They also have similar and/or identical features.  You can tell from pictures what they "look" like and make that determination ahead of time.  You can pick certain features.  You can know the exact price.  But as for what they FEEL like compared to what you want- that is a user preference that is hard for anyone to define in any way that would be terribly helpful.  Even just sitting on one in a showroom somewhere is not the same as RIDING the bike with it.  And even RIDING the bike a few times with it is not the same as USING it for many times (and on different days, different temps, different weather, different distances, and in different clothing).  And even THEN, you still can't know what you MIGHT be missing with some other brand or model.

Such is life.  Put it this way- most of us bought the Concours, itself, without test riding it (since most dealers won't allow test drives) and that is a hell of a lot more complex and expensive than a seat :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pardini

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
I have Corbin's on all of my current road bikes, Connie, Busa, RC51.  The Connie has a modified Corbin via a ride in appointment.

Bob

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »
  Even just sitting on one in a showroom somewhere is not the same as RIDING the bike with it. 

Boy ain't that the truth. I remember when I bought my first C10. It had the most comfortable seat on it. I even took one out for a short test ride. It felt great. Then after I bought the bike and had it for a short time. I realized that at 30 minutes or 18 miles (which ever came first), I felt like I was sitting on the frame rails! Now the C14 seat is better. But not much. And like said, few actually get to test ride a C14!  :D