Author Topic: unmarked risers  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Snakepilot

unmarked risers
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »
I just bought a pair of handelbar risers from my local dealer that had been removed  from a trade in bike. At $20.00 I thought what the heck. They are 2in. tall and have no markings on them whatsoever.  When I tried to install , the brake lines became so tight that I took them off. Is this normal? It seems that I am asking for a problem if I don't machine these risers down. I have wanted to try a set of risers, but I don't think I should have to strech the lines this tight. Any suggestions?

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: unmarked risers
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
Is there a provision for relocating the hydraulic hose mounting block that attaches to the top-clamp to move to the riser? that would be a 6 mm threaded hole near the top of the riser on the front edge.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Snakepilot

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply. No, there is no hole in the riser anywhere except the through holes for the mounting bolts.  But you have given me an idea to find a way to re-route the hoses in some way. I will take a closer look. If it does not work, I'll buy better risers. I just have no idea where these came from.  The machining is good and the finish is also good, just no name. Curious.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
When I got my Gen-Mar risers, I had the same problem. The instructions noted a bracket to relocate the brake line junction but it wasn't included.  When I called, they said it was no longer necessary but I told them that it indeed was on my bike.  I think there are varying degrees of slack in the brake line from bike to bike. They sent me the bracket and all is fixed. The right riser was already drilled and tapped for it, though. You can contact Gen-Mar and they'll probably sell you the bracket cheap.  Then it's just a matter of drilling and tapping a hole.

Offline Snakepilot

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »
Thanks Crash
Of course, I'm not sure they are GenMar risers. I think I will make some measurements of these before I install them because I have an idea of a way to make an adjustable set using several shims of various thicknesses and angles. I'll look at the brake lines and figger a way to make these work until I get my machine shop to make a set for me.

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »
When I asked my Kawi dealer about their risers, they said the brake line and cables would need to be replaced.  I went with Murph's risers and nothing had to be changed.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »
GVmerle, it sounds like your dealer was trying to sell you some new brake lines.  I have 2" risers and with the brake line junction relocated, it was fine.  I don't think I could go much higher, but it isn't stretched or tight now.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
I have 2" Helibar risers, no issues with the OEM lines...

Offline C14THUNDER

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:06:02 PM »
I HAVE (2) 2in RISERS...NO PROBLEMS