Author Topic: How much rain is too much?  (Read 11074 times)

Offline 12menzer

How much rain is too much?
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »
Ran into steady rain commuting home on Thursday.  My Concours is an 09 so it does not have traction control but I do have ABS.  This is the third bike I have owned but my experience in the rain has been limited.  I was on the highway in the HOV lane and kept my speed to about 60-65.  I have PR3 tires and they seem very good in the rain.

Do you guys typically just keep on riding when you hit rain or pull under a bridge and wait it out? 

Thanks.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: How much rain is too much?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »
Lightening, high winds and hail get me off the road during a storm. Rain alone does not.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
Lightening, high winds and hail get me off the road during a storm. Rain alone does not.

+1
On the Autobahn I keep under 110 when it rains, unless it's hard, then I keep it under 80. Two-way roads it's at the posted speed limit.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »
I hate riding in the rain, and will try to plan around it.  But if it does rain, I typically just drive through it.  With new PR4's, I don't think any amount of rain would have me pull over (unless the roads were flooded out or something).  But if I had low tread, I would abort.  And very high cross winds combined with rain- that might have me seek shelter.

Now, if there is ANY chance of ice, there is no way I would get on a bike.  Period.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
The only time I pull up in the rain is when its raining so hard the cars around me have trouble seeing me with all the spray. I was pushing through a heavy shower, and the car in front of me disapeared in the rain. It couldn't have been more than 50 yards in front. After seeing that, I checked behind me and pulled to the shoulder. I didn't want to risk it. But rain on its own doesn't stop me, even if I forgot my rain gear.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
I only panic when tornadoes are coming my way, otherwise I ride in the rain.  I don't ride in the rain in the dark.  I try not to ride in the dark regardless of the weather conditions.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »
seems every long distance ride I'm on, especially with momma as a passenger, has us drinking from the fire hose for hours non-stop.
Many times we have spent 8 hours, in torrential downpours, covering 500 miles or more.

If you know it is a storm that you will not see ending, keep going, and use 4 way flashers... riding on thru the storm beats sitting idle, and having the storm over you for hours.

NEVER pull off under a bridge, on a highway to wait out a storm, instead exit the freeway and get off in a parking lot, or other safe place.
People have a habit of pulling off under bridges, and quickly approach without looking, I have seen a few crashes where car drivers simply ran over a group of bikes under a bridge by not paying attention when they were trying to occupy that sacred area.

keep pushing on, just use caution, you will likely ride out of the storm at some point. Hopefully not into another one of more intensity....been there.....many times... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
I keep on driving, my speed determined a lot by visability. I drove through WY last year through a crap load of rain and snow (the kind that melts as soon as it hit ground), drove about 70mph.
Had pr3's and the bike drove incredibly well. I also have abs/tc but they never were activated.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 06:02:20 AM »

Do you guys typically just keep on riding when you hit rain or pull under a bridge and wait it out? 

One might have to wait a week where I live...lol.

I've ridden in the rain for days on end, and did it before I had good waterproof motorcycle gear too. There are no words to describe how awful it is to wake up in a hotel room somewhere, put all your soggy wet riding gear back on, and look outside and see that it's still pouring rain...lol. Been there done that...lol.

Run good rain tires and buy good riding gear, and it's easier to deal with.

Now, riding in the dark, that's another issue....too many critters creeping around the roads around here.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 06:18:50 AM »
I also find that stopping on an interstate (under a bridge or otherwise) is suicidal.  Never ever stop on an interstate for any reason unless you happen to break down and have no other choice.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 06:58:34 AM »
I ride in the rain if I have too and sometimes there's no choice. Last week my wife and I were out for a ride and ran into a downpour, without rain gear. We were soaked to the skin within a minute. We just toughed it out till after the rain stopped and then we road till we were dry again, mostly.   :)

It's all part of the adventure that is motorcycling.    :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
I like riding in the rain... means the bike gets washed.  8)

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
Good comments, thank you!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
What REAL MEN , when I grow up I want to be just like you ::)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
The mad pow-ah of KiPass allows my C14 to conquer monsoon storms with 80 MPH winds, 2 ft of water in the road, and no shelter ion any direction. Some times I even have to time take a pic of the impending doom before it hits, put my rain gear on, and the camera gear up.

And, because of KiPass I only change bearings everything 85,000 miles that routinely go through desert dust and water storms.  And not because they need changing, but because KiPass FOB pow-ah is badder than Chuck himself

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline dfwscotty

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »
I knew the day would eventually come when I would get caught in the rain and it happened in the twisties in Arkansas during a camping trip.  I stopped and put my rain gear on and continued being far from camp.  I finally realized that the bike was not going to slip out from under me in the turns I really enjoyed a nice steady rain.  Was cool to wave at the other riders I passed as they sought refuge under canopies.  On that same trip I was on my way back home and rode part of I-40 and encountered a deluge.  I got close enough to an 18 wheeler that all I could see was a dark shadow of the rig and could ride far enough behind him to be safe.   I enjoyed it.  Few wet spots and was not far from giving up and seeking shelter when I hit the end of the rain.  I think we were running about 50-55 mph.

Couple years later a friend and I are heading home from the Texas hill country.  We are in a light mist all day long and in the upper 40s.  We think we have it beat as we get within an hour of home when it starts hammering us.  Both of us are in rain gear with me leading when I give up as I start passing semi's that have pulled over waiting it out.  I pass a convenience store and hit the brakes as the ABS takes me right past it and my friend pulls into it.  We sit there for an hour waiting for it to pass but its all coming from where we need to go.  It does lighten up enough for us to get back on the road and make it home.

It all depends on the roads, weather, traffic, outlook and most of all, mindset.  Sometimes you want that challenge and sometimes your brain tells you to wait it out.  No rush.  I will ride all day in the rain if I encounter it on the road but hate leaving the house in the rain.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »
I knew the day would eventually come when I would get caught in the rain and it happened in the twisties in Arkansas during a camping trip.  I stopped and put my rain gear on and continued being far from camp.  I finally realized that the bike was not going to slip out from under me in the turns I really enjoyed a nice steady rain.  Was cool to wave at the other riders I passed as they sought refuge under canopies.  On that same trip I was on my way back home and rode part of I-40 and encountered a deluge.  I got close enough to an 18 wheeler that all I could see was a dark shadow of the rig and could ride far enough behind him to be safe.   I enjoyed it.  Few wet spots and was not far from giving up and seeking shelter when I hit the end of the rain.  I think we were running about 50-55 mph.

Couple years later a friend and I are heading home from the Texas hill country.  We are in a light mist all day long and in the upper 40s.  We think we have it beat as we get within an hour of home when it starts hammering us.  Both of us are in rain gear with me leading when I give up as I start passing semi's that have pulled over waiting it out.  I pass a convenience store and hit the brakes as the ABS takes me right past it and my friend pulls into it.  We sit there for an hour waiting for it to pass but its all coming from where we need to go.  It does lighten up enough for us to get back on the road and make it home.

It all depends on the roads, weather, traffic, outlook and most of all, mindset.  Sometimes you want that challenge and sometimes your brain tells you to wait it out.  No rush.  I will ride all day in the rain if I encounter it on the road but hate leaving the house in the rain.

+1 couldn't agree more!  Nice post
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
+1
On the Autobahn I keep under 110 when it rains, ...

Sure you do ;)
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 12:13:31 AM »
Sure you do ;)

shhhhhh! they don't know...  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
If I'm already on the road and it starts raining, I ride no problem. If I wake up in the morning for work and its raining, I wimp out and take the truck. I'm lazy and don't want to take the time to put on the rain gear.