Author Topic: replacement ignition key  (Read 6559 times)

Offline 1jeep

replacement ignition key
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:32:09 AM »
OK, this am i did something real stupid! I got on my bike and didnt realize the ignotion key was in the right saddlebag, i found out it was when i kicked it. The key had a bend to it which i was able to strighten but you know it has the little fracture that looks like it is going to snap off. Has anyone had to replace this key? if so where did you get one, i know i can go to kawasaki, but was ther a online site that it can be bought from and then cut from a locksmith after?

thanks.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: replacement ignition key
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »
Are you talking about the stove knob itself? Or the little one in the FOB. I went to my dealer to have 2 generic type keys cut. I use them for my side cases. I would guess you would need to order a new stove knob using the key number. I wouldn't think the stove knob would fit into one of those key cutting machines.

Offline chap

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »
I am not sure but I thought the Stove key comes apart to get cut. While you are at it get some SILCA key blanks for the Bike. The # will be KW14 R (or L) depending on your bike. There are loads on ebay. Use those for everything, gas tank bags etc.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:10 AM »
yes the "stove knob" and from what i read it does come apart..i hope. i was able to order a couple replacments and will have to go have them cut. Sort of a pain but i wont make this mistake again....but im sure i will make other mistakes.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
yes the "stove knob" and from what i read it does come apart..i hope. i was able to order a couple replacments and will have to go have them cut. Sort of a pain but i wont make this mistake again....but im sure i will make other mistakes.

I've never looked but that makes sense.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »
i never looked at it either until today....after kicking and bending it.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »
This is from that 'other' C14 forum but still good information:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,53502.0.html

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »

I'm not prejudiced against info from the other forum 8)

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »
thanks for the info...it apears i could have gone to any locksmith to get a key cut. unfortunatly i just ordered the kawasaki key for $12.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »

Very good post/info!  Since it is your post and photos, you should copy the thread over to zggtr.org too ;)

I suppose Kawasaki COULD have made it even MORE complex if they tried a bit harder.  I know when I went to an actual locksmith shop to get a spare key cut (because I will NEVER remove the stovekey, and NEVER take the active FOB out of my jacket), he had a hell of a time getting anything to work.  Mine is apparently "left hand" and he cut an Ilco X34 HD74 (after two other failed attempts).  It works, but not very well :(

Perhaps I will try getting an Ilco KW14 one day, like you suggested.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »
How about some of the members, the forum management and cost (of being a member)?

Brian

I'm not prejudiced against info from the other forum 8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jwh20

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
How about some of the members, the forum management and cost (of being a member)?

Brian

Well there are those kinds of members almost everywhere.  I don't know about the forum management as I've not had any run-ins, and the cost to participate in the forums is $0.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »
True, as long as you do not join the organization. I assume you are a forum member only?

I think you will find a vast difference in the persons involved here and the persons involved there. At least as far as the moderation goes; bad behavior will be dealt with very, very differently.

Brian

Well there are those kinds of members almost everywhere.  I don't know about the forum management as I've not had any run-ins, and the cost to participate in the forums is $0.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »
...that may not be PREjudice, but POSTjudice.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 01:43:45 AM »
True, as long as you do not join the organization. I assume you are a forum member only?

I think you will find a vast difference in the persons involved here and the persons involved there. At least as far as the moderation goes; bad behavior will be dealt with very, very differently.

Brian

how, exactly? just curious  ???
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 06:24:10 AM »
Not the right place for that discussion. Let me just say- this forum is moderated, that one is..... a fiefdom where it depends on not what is said but who said it.

Brian

how, exactly? just curious  ???

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 06:28:49 AM »

Brian

I was a member for awhile. If I ever go to a COG rally I'll sign up again and pay the dues. I got nothing against the other forum, I just like it here better.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
Lets just stick to the key (pun intended of course) discussion in this thread.  The Open board is better suited for Spy vs Spy topics.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 06:38:50 AM »
Sorry  :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 06:42:30 AM »
Why so sorry?  I think any discussion is good but there are better places for them sometimes.  This discussion can get somewhat boisterous/lively/contentious...  The Open board has more visibility to others here with thoughts on the subject.  :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.