Author Topic: Gas Tank Cap / Latch Corrosion, Cleaning, and Modification  (Read 32533 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Gas Tank Cap / Latch Corrosion, Cleaning, and Modification
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »
I have no idea.  I would think it might cause issues with operation, though.

I wish I could just order a replacement latch part.  I would order a whole thing, but I am worried about the lock and reassembly of all the tiny parts which might not come with instructions (and there is NO diagram or other info in the factory manual).

I lost my plating contact, but I would disassemble it, or buy one off ebay, and disassemble that one, and have all the parts plated, or anodized, based on the material ( zinc, or copper flash and chrome for ferrous parts, and anodized for aluminum ones).. I was going to hook this up a couple years ago, but dropped the ball on it...
plating is just a couple microns thick, and would not impede function, powdercoating is pretty variable in thickness, (1.5 to 3 mil th'k), and may not work well on the wear edges, nor be friendly after fuel in long term, due to the polymer in the coatings.. maybe a ceramic coating, but then, as it's applied via a fogged electrostatic powder process, before being heated, it's pretty wide on thickness variations..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »
I lost my plating contact, but I would disassemble it, or buy one off ebay, and disassemble that one, and have all the parts plated, or anodized, based on the material

Not a bad idea.  Would need a spare.... unfortunately, nothing on Ebay.  I suppose I could buy a cheapy Ebay "twist" kind to use during the operation so I won't be stranded.  Ug.  I wish someone just offered the latch mechanism pre-done for sale somewhere.  BTW- I think it is zinc, but don't know for sure.  Mine is horribly pitted now from the repeated corrosion.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2018, 06:23:40 PM »
Not a bad idea.  Would need a spare.... unfortunately, nothing on Ebay.  I suppose I could buy a cheapy Ebay "twist" kind to use during the operation so I won't be stranded.  Ug.  I wish someone just offered the latch mechanism pre-done for sale somewhere.  BTW- I think it is zinc, but don't know for sure.  Mine is horribly pitted now from the repeated corrosion.

yeah, i believe it's a high zincro aluminum casting,(we know it as really crappy pot metal...) and thus a real p.i.t.a. for plating, evident by your original pictures of the horrible corrosion salts present wayyyy back..
having said this, I promise, I WILL get in contact with my local platers, and will supply them with pieces and parts, after I buy a twist on cap, and after all that, will offer a price and trade in option for a core to be sent, and a plated version sent simultaniously, during the process... this will allow users to dump their old tank and rid it of moisture laden fuels during the turn time, which works perfectly in the progression..

I'll post up when I get my cost and swap down shortly.

in the meantime, go back to the lithium greas thing, it's what i've used all along, and seems to be the best option, I use a spray lithium and have since I got the bike in '07, and never saw anything as bad as yours was..

hang tough, I'll p/m ya when i have the system down.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
in the meantime, go back to the lithium grease thing, it's what i've used all along, and seems to be the best option, I use a spray lithium and have since I got the bike in '07, and never saw anything as bad as yours was..

I have the spray on, but I used some paste, thinly applied.   Each time I have recleaned it, it has never been as bad as the first time.  That was truly horrible.

hang tough, I'll p/m ya when i have the system down.

:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »
Gas cap on the Indian is screw on...nothing to corrode.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
Gas cap on the Indian is screw on...nothing to corrode.

But everything to lose [lose/drop/drip/contaminate] :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »
I would say that there's quite a few bikes out there with removable fuel caps that don't have those issues such as losing, dropping, dripping or contamination.  We, on the other hand, deal with corrosion and keys breaking off in the cap.  Now, I've never had either of those issues but I don't live near the ocean or manhandle the stove knob in the gas cap.  I also don't worry about that idiotic spring in the ignition switch.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
I would say that there's quite a few bikes out there with removable fuel caps that don't have those issues such as losing, dropping, dripping or contamination.  We, on the other hand, deal with corrosion and keys breaking off in the cap.  Now, I've never had either of those issues but I don't live near the ocean or manhandle the stove knob in the gas cap.  I also don't worry about that idiotic spring in the ignition switch.

I'm beginning to think with gas being as relatively cheap as it is (YMMV), there's no real solid reason to have a locking gas cap anyway. Unless, of course, you're being stalked and someone wants to dump a pound of sugar in your tank.... :-\
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »
I'm beginning to think with gas being as relatively cheap as it is (YMMV), there's no real solid reason to have a locking gas cap anyway. Unless, of course, you're being stalked and someone wants to dump a pound of sugar in your tank.... :-\

it surely ain't about gas theft... as a hose, and additional can, along with the time it takes, to harvest free fuel, just ain't probable..
it's all about the idiot children, that are amused by stupid things like pouring stuff into peoples tanks...

Offline toon

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »
Thanks for the instructions and the pictures. I just purchased a 2009 with a sticking gas cap. Purchased the e z lube and disassembled cleaned, lubed, cussed my fat fingers, and reassembled. Everything moves smoothly and like the OP I hope the little teardrop looking thing goes with the pips in toward the screen looking thing. (did not want to disassemble the thing that far, but fat fingers remember) So glad I used the search here first. Saran wrap saved the day when everything exploded. Will let you know how it goes.
Toon
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the instructions and the pictures.

:)

like the OP I hope the little teardrop looking thing goes with the pips in toward the screen looking thing.

Hopefully, one day, someone will be able to remove it all without it "exploding" and can verify which way the teardrop valve is supposed to be inserted.  So far, no takers.

Offline toon

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
So a little more than a month. Still smoothly opening and no crushed tank. Will update from time to time.
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »
Just did this! thanks Maxtog for the info. Used some very fine sandpaper and brake cleaner to get the corrosion off (didn't work). I used silicone lubricant I had laying around in it. It doesn't spring back but the key turns much more smoothly now. Paid attention to not let the rubber bit come off. Was able to put the two bits and the spring together without any tools, with a little bit of convincing. If it gets worse again, I may consider buying a new one. It's $88 on partzilla. I wonder how you move the lock assembly from one to the other so you can use your key?
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »
Actually, the way I did it, pretty sure if you just turn the key all the way so the thingies are all the way in, and you spray lubricant in it, it'll have the same effect as taking it apart and cleaning it.

UPDATE: I went to check the lock a couple hours after doing this process and found that it was already worse. Decided to give white lithium grease spray a shot. Instead of taking it apart, I opened the gas cap, turned the key all the way so the triangular bits retract, and sprayed into the gap between the triangular bits and the metal plate that the screws go into. Smooth as butter and the spring works now, it actually wants to close itself.

If it gets worse again, next step is going to be ordering some EZ turn and trying that inside the lock to see how effective it is. I wouldn't mind spraying white lithium grease every 6 months in there if it's going to keep it working.

Wonder what kind of an effect leaving the bits in a baking soda/water mix would do. It would remove some corrosion but I'm afraid it'll also remove whatever plating it has on that's preventing the corrosion from getting worse
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:26:08 PM by okrider »
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »
Actually, the way I did it, pretty sure if you just turn the key all the way so the thingies are all the way in, and you spray lubricant in it, it'll have the same effect as taking it apart and cleaning it.

It work for now, since you already removed what was in there.  But for those reading, here will be so much corrosion build-up, the only way to get rid of it is physical removal of it from everywhere inside the latch mechanism.  It is shocking how much it can hold inside there.  But you can shoot some spray lithium in there without taking it apart, if it was relatively clean to start with.

UPDATE: I went to check the lock a couple hours after doing this process and found that it was already worse.

Yep.  Silicone spray is pretty useless, but just about anything you put in there will help in the short term.  Then the next day, it is noticeably worse, and it gets worse over time.  Even if it is done "right" (with a heavier lubricant) it will still fade, just over a longer period.

Decided to give white lithium grease spray a shot. Instead of taking it apart, I opened the gas cap, turned the key all the way so the triangular bits retract, and sprayed into the gap between the triangular bits and the metal plate that the screws go into. Smooth as butter and the spring works now, it actually wants to close itself.

And that will work a longer while, maybe even several months if your corrosion rate isn't too bad.  But then it will cake up with the corrosion inside the mechanism and get bad again.  You will see :)

Wonder what kind of an effect leaving the bits in a baking soda/water mix would do.

I am guessing not much.  Tried that, too, at one point.

It would remove some corrosion but I'm afraid it'll also remove whatever plating it has on that's preventing the corrosion from getting worse

I am not sure there is/was any plating at all.  But if there was, that would help explain my situation (that it was fine for several years and then wham, and gets worse with each cleaning).  Year after year the cleanings and lubes are less and less effective each time.  I would order the new cap if only there were instructions somewhere on how it is all assembled and how to move the lock cylinder.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »
When the forum was moved, all my hundreds of photos I uploaded are gone on the threads!
Here are some I posted on this thread, now out of context (since we are also not allowed to edit old postings)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:41 AM »
Photos on modifying latch for key removal while unlocked

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2022, 12:30:00 PM »
Well, I gave up.

I ordered a replacement gas cap from Partzilla 51049-0744 $118.04.  It arrived today.  To my surprise, the ring was painted, so that potential issue is gone.  Of course, it comes without the lock cylinder which I will need to remove from the old one, clean, lube, and install in the new cap.

However, there are no instructions.  And there is nothing anywhere I can find on the internet or in the factory manual as to the assembly and disassembly.  There are lots of little parts in there that go flying when the latch is removed (I know because it happened before when I went to clean the latch), and the whole thing makes me very nervous (improper putting back of some of the parts could ruin the venting function).  I do plan to disassemble the new one very carefully and take lots of photos this time.

Does anyone have any idea at least how the cylinder is removed?  I don't want to "experiment" and end up creating a mess or damaging it.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2022, 01:58:06 PM »
Post some pics of the new one. It's likely a circlip on the back of the lock that holds it in the housing.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.