Author Topic: Nice fast paced Arizona ride this weekend  (Read 4027 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Nice fast paced Arizona ride this weekend
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Nice fast paced Arizona ride this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »
Nice!

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
First one was badass, makes me wanna go get my FZ1 and my leathers on and keep the revs about 8k non-stop and pin it leaving the corner and let that sucker eat.  Second one looked like you had to do 120 all the time to make the curves interesting. I haven't seen the 3rd but looked at the road on the map, looks lovely.

What does your friend ride?  Look like a standard with a fairing?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
First one was badass, makes me wanna go get my FZ1 and my leathers on and keep the revs about 8k non-stop and pin it leaving the corner and let that sucker eat.  Second one looked like you had to do 120 all the time to make the curves interesting. I haven't seen the 3rd but looked at the road on the map, looks lovely.

What does your friend ride?  Look like a standard with a fairing?

First one was the tightest curves with no room for mistakes due to mountain on one side and guard rails/drop off on the other side (Down Yarnell Hill), Second one (Vulture Mine Road) is more of a open long sweeping curves so yes high speed curves and the third one is just outside of Prescott and is call the white spars and is in between the other two...  Not super tight but not wide open either...  The best in my opinion.

We had about 30 other riders that day but they all bailed earlier in the day and us hard core ones stayed for the most enjoyable part of the ride...  We had a Vstrom 1000 (That guy can out corner most sport bike riders and does track days all the time on the Vstrom)  Then we had a FZ1 and he also rides track allot,  and we had a Ducati race bike of some type...  It was an older one and the guy was a little slower then the rest of us so not sure if he is in the video or not...  (I did allow him past me at the end of the Yarnell Video so you can catch a glimpse of his bike there :)  then me on the Concours who has done a few track days but not a track junky like the other two....  Anyways we did about 375 miles that day and those three videos show the last of the 375 miles hence why most of all the sport bike riders bailed earlier in the day which was probably a good thing because some of them get in over their head trying to keep from being embarrassed from bikes like the Concours.  lol

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
it seemed like one guy was right ahead of you the whole time. I could be wrong. So what was that dude on?

And one guy passed you guys and flat out disappeared and you guys weren't going slow, so he had some serious skill.

I sent the link to my best pal who now lives in Phoenix.  He has a 2010 C14, a first Gen FZ1 (why I have mine) and a 93 Yamaha GTS 1000.  He is no slouch, but since he moved out there, he doesn't have much time to ride. His job requires a drivers license, so he's paranoid now.  He just mounted a tire changing machine in his garage, he and I changed many a tire on that thing when he lived here.  He was always the guy that led the rides, he's quick and just a great guy, I really miss him. We are gonna hang out at the Austin MotoGP, can't wait to see him. His name is Don. Short guy, 55 years old, still pissed at him for moving away, we rode many a mile together.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
We had a Vstrom 1000 (That guy can out corner most sport bike riders and does track days all the time on the Vstrom) 

Nice video's. I've ridden with a gentleman on a DL1000 that was quite fast. I was extremly immpressed with the bike and even more so with the way he rode it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
Nice video's. I've ridden with a gentleman on a DL1000 that was quite fast. I was extremly immpressed with the bike and even more so with the way he rode it.

Same here. I was very surprised at how fast the bike is.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
it seemed like one guy was right ahead of you the whole time. I could be wrong. So what was that dude on?

And one guy passed you guys and flat out disappeared and you guys weren't going slow, so he had some serious skill.

I sent the link to my best pal who now lives in Phoenix.  He has a 2010 C14, a first Gen FZ1 (why I have mine) and a 93 Yamaha GTS 1000.  He is no slouch, but since he moved out there, he doesn't have much time to ride. His job requires a drivers license, so he's paranoid now.  He just mounted a tire changing machine in his garage, he and I changed many a tire on that thing when he lived here.  He was always the guy that led the rides, he's quick and just a great guy, I really miss him. We are gonna hang out at the Austin MotoGP, can't wait to see him. His name is Don. Short guy, 55 years old, still pissed at him for moving away, we rode many a mile together.

You have to be more specific with your questions - What video and what time into the video etc that you are referring to... 

The first video of Yarnell there were two in front of me - The leader on a FZ1 and then the Vstrom and then the Ducati behind me...  I've ridden with all these guys on the track and they are all really good riders.  The guy on the Vtstrom is the best rider of the group, just so smooth and extremely fast through the corners.  In the last video (Spars) he passed us in a curve and then just continued to pull away.  I don't like to push it to hard on the street due to all the unpredictable things that are in a street scenario and what would happen if you loose it.  I will save the extreme "push it to the limits" for the track plus I've been told a few times on the street that I embarrass sport bike riders and I have to be careful because often times I will see the less experienced riders pushing it beyond there limits in attempts to keep up with me and not having the skill to do so then they end up in over there heads extremely quick and the end result can be really really bad so I try to watch out for that and slow my pace to help alleviate the embarrassment.  Not that I'm a expert rider by no stretch of the imagination....  Only good and getting better taking several MSF advanced rider courses and track lessons as time permits.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Good times there, man!   :thumbs:

Did lots of miles on that route to Prescott!  :)
Forget I-17.  >:(

Lunch at Prescott Brewing Co. or Gurley  St. Grill?    8)
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Madcow

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
wildnphx do you ride with South West Rides? I haven't been to Prescott since I sold the Blackbird in 2007.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »
NICE!  I love riding AZ.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
Good times there, man!   :thumbs:

Did lots of miles on that route to Prescott!  :)
Forget I-17.  >:(

Lunch at Prescott Brewing Co. or Gurley  St. Grill?    8)

Prescott Brewing Company :)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 12:26:07 AM »
wildnphx do you ride with South West Rides? I haven't been to Prescott since I sold the Blackbird in 2007.

No I have not... Only been riding with Twisted Bikers on meetup.com.