Author Topic: Fatal KIPASS Failure? Serious problem and advice requested UPDATED-Fixed  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Freddy

Re: Fatal KIPASS Failure? Serious problem and advice requested
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 12:30:48 AM »
But do you get the error message when using the active fob or only when using the passive function?
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
I tried jumping the bike when the problem started, as I thought it was a dead battery at first. There is no response or activation of the bike in any way except for the subkey id error on the screen. no fuel pump, no needle sweep, nothing. it's as if a stranger with no fob tried to activate the stove key...nothing, except I get a message on the screen.

the only thing that makes me skeptical about the connector issue is that there are some bikes slightly older than mine, with higher miles, and have sat in harsher salt air, and don't have my issue. My bike is garaged every night (except for being out of town) and i'm 20 miles from the ocean. I would think this issue would be more common if it were just that. but then again, i'm no expert.

TJ, I know your longevity with this group, and I'm really wanting to help you in all sincerity, I know this has to be a hair pulling event... I feel bad;

Ok, I have repeated it now 3 times, but as for an "answer" I'm getting "no, nothing was repeatedly unplugged and re-plugged in, multiple times, to insure the connectors are scraped clean of any oxides present".
I can't say much more to reinforce this suggestion. many of these wires are connections allowing very low voltage signals/circuits into play within the smart chips and such.. any resistance whatsoever can be invisibly restricting a 5v signal, to a lower below threshold that causes errors in communication.

as for the Subkey ID Error, yeah, maybe someone slapped their passive chip up against your keyswitch, and pressed the key down, to activate... this would give that error.. now, it would seem to require you to invoke the on-board diagnostics, and go thru, see the codes, and erase them.. maybe the code being stored is taking precedence over everything else currently, and once erased...and then the battery connections removed, let sit for 10 minutes, and reconnect...and that invoke/erase code procedure revisited; may not re-appear.. I dunno... try it, it's free...   it just seems as if all the "simple steps" are being bypassed, and not done so far, in a complicated and tail chasing search.

If you are pressing the key down, and the screen is coming "alive" and giving that error, it sounds almost like someone "stuck" a passive chip against your ignition lock nub... and taped it on...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
freddy, the subkey id error code came up with the passive key and shortly thereafter when I tried the passive chip.

MOB, not to my knowledge, no one has replugged in all the connectors. I'll have to ask, but I would assume some connectors would be replugged in the process of removing/inspecting components. Your idea of someone putting a passive fob to my ignition is, in theory, possible, albeit exceedingly rare I would imagine. These bikes are rare enough, and the majority of owners a likeable and helpful bunch!

I'm still quite busy at work for the next couple of weeks, but I'll check in with the shop soon to see specifically what has been tried thus far. I did hear that when they replaced the ignition a while back, they apparently did quite the hack job getting the security bolts out. It sounds like the under side of the triple tree is chewed up. You just can't get good help these days...
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline tjhess74

Ok gents, after 11 months of the bike being in the shop, she is finally back in my garage. I had turned in my license plate, cancelled the insurance, and prepared for selling her for parts. A friend of mine works at the dealership and spent his own time after work diagnosing and fixing it. Where I left off, the Kawi rep went through the bike, and his final diagnosis is that I had replacement keyfobs "from eBay" that set the computers off. For reference, my fobs are the ones that came with the bike when I bought it off the showroom floor in May of 08.

My friend determined that the computer that controls the KIPASS system wasn't getting 5 volts required to power on from where ever that signal comes from. It therefore couldn't communicate with the ECU. He tried to supply the 5 volts from another source, and that made that computer live, but it still wouldn't communicate. They had that computer from another wrecked bike and plugged it in with a programmed fob. No dice, same subkey id errors.

So, he found an auction on eBay that had all of the c14 computers, KIPASS ignition, fobs and all, for just south of $800. He replaced all of the bike's computers, reprogrammed the fobs, and voila! She now runs!

Could more diagnosing been done? Could something have been overlooked? Possibly. But with as much time as he put into the bike, it wasn't going to be worth much more. I paid for the parts, the shop fees, and him for his personal time.

In closing, I cannot give you an exact explanation of what was wrong, because we will never know. The important part is the bike is now back on the road (metaphorically, since there's no insurance) and should last awhile.  The downside is I had to give up my flashed Steve's ECU.

As usual, thank you to all of those that offered their input and technical knowledge in helping to sort this one out. I'm still busy at work and not on here nearly as often, but my fondness for you is still there!
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 10:20:04 PM »
Thanks for report back tj.   :thumbs:  It would seem that the KIPASS ECU died - that's new.

The bike's original FI ECU with Steve's flash can be registered to the 'new' KIPASS ECU by using KDS.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:42:41 PM by Freddy »