Author Topic: zx14 owners  (Read 30735 times)

Offline 1jeep

zx14 owners
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:44:15 AM »
How much faster is the zx14 vs the concours? I know it is faster, no need for that talk, but does it really have that much more snap during something like a 50mph rollon? i heard how much better the BMW k1600gt is yet this morning i walked one on the highway, maybe he wasnt that good of a rider but he got the jump on me at 60, at about double was when he was looking at my taillight. I am still stock, but have plans to change that this winter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: zx14 owners
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
How much faster is the zx14 vs the concours? I know it is faster, no need for that talk, but does it really have that much more snap during something like a 50mph rollon? i heard how much better the BMW k1600gt is yet this morning i walked one on the highway, maybe he wasnt that good of a rider but he got the jump on me at 60, at about double was when he was looking at my taillight. I am still stock, but have plans to change that this winter.

My Zx14 would crush my C14.  Not onl;y made way more power, but had a chain instead of a driveshaft.  Let's not stop there, it weighed way way less too.  No comparison  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:52:29 AM »
wow..thanks for the comparison.. i think you missed where i was going. I do know the differnce between the c and the zx, but things like 50 mph rollons is it a second quicker or is it like comparing my previous harley to the c14? I hear guys on the k1600 forums talk about how much faster their bike is than a c14 some have even tried to claim they are as quick as the zx14. Im just trying to really get an idea of real world experiences vs posted track times. I would never expect the concours to be as fast as the zx14.

Do you still have both?

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
wow..thanks for the comparison.. i think you missed where i was going.

Nope, he didn't miss where you were going at all. He said the ZX14 would crush the C14, and he meant it. The k1600 isn't as fast as those guys are saying it is. In a 50mph roll on, the ZX14 would walk away from a C14 and a k1600 like they were parked on the side of the road.
It's not even comparing apples to apples here.

Now, if somebody was comparing 1/8 mile times or something...I dunno. These big heavy and powerful touring bikes can be launched awfully hard without any fears of lifting the front wheel. Initial pull times might be similar? However, when the big ZX14 or now the ZX14R get into their stride, they'd make a Concours-14 and a k1600 look silly in a hurry with regards to roll-ons and/or acceleration.

I've not ridden the newer ZX14R yet, but I've ridden a couple different ZX14's, and several...gack...Hayabusas. The C14 pulls very nicely, but nothing like those open class machines do.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline farrider2

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »
I have a 2006 ZX14 and 2009 Concours. Both are flys-out, BMC filter, PC V, slip on exhaust (Muzzy and Area P). There is just no comparison in the performance - stupid fast versus quick - and very different riding experience.  The ZX14 is constantly trying to run away with you - throttle response is unbelievable in any gear. Concours is well mannered and provides usable power. Like comparing a jet car and a Porsche.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »
Unfortunatly i was able to once demo a zx14, but it was a ride that was guided by a kawasaki factory rider, so we never really got the chance to wind it out.

I know the gen 1 hyabusa, a freind had one and it was fast no doubt.

I think after today i will stop spying on the k1600 forums as it appears to be filled with guys that think they are faster than they are in reality. After spending the last 8 years on harleys i have the speed bug again and was tossing the idea of trading the connie n for a zx14. i suspect it might be a regretful thing once the colder weather arrives as i do commutte through the fall, i doubt the zx will give the same weather protection as the connie.

Dont get the wrong idea, i wasnt plannign any races against a zx14, unless he had 2 flat tires.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »
I think after today i will stop spying on the k1600 forums as it appears to be filled with guys that think they are faster than they are in reality.

Dont get the wrong idea, i wasnt plannign any races against a zx14, unless he had 2 flat tires.

You have to understand that they paid quite a bit more than what we pay for our bikes.  It has to be faster... ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
Well jim i can say after today i am starting to get the impression you might be onto some of the truth. Afterall i think the BMW mystique is a lot like the Harley and i had 8 years of that.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
You have to understand that they paid quite a bit more than what we pay for our bikes.  It has to be faster... ::)
That's the truth. They think they're $9K faster then we are on our Connies; but I don't think money leaving your pocket faster counts.
I also equate buying a Harley to purchasing membership in a club. It's not about the ride, it's about the membership, and all that comes with it. I undersatnd that, but I wanna ride, not hang out at the coffee counter in a Harley dealership in my Harley jacket, boots, and chaps - over my Harley underware.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 12:06:32 PM »
A couple of years ago Kawasaki had a factory truck with all their models going around the country for demo rides. I've been waiting for them to do it again so I and test ride a ZX14R.

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »
I agree with Steve 100% my ZX14 (before I sold it) would walk either one of my C-14's rather easily..

If those cats think that BMW will run with ZX14 or a ZX14R they are dreaming..

unless the dude on the ZX is a complete tool, there are exceptions I guess..  ::)
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
Bourne...yes it is a club...i was a member and have a closet full of tshirts, admitdly i was a sheople and woudl follow along as we rode to harley dealers to hang out. Dont get me wrong i loved the harley, people woudl look at and talk to me about things and i would fa;lsely feel good about myself.

Rhino...Americade in lake george NY typically all the motorcycle manufacturers will send their fleets there for demo rides. Kawasaki is there every year, they do a good ride but being led you dont get a real chance to hammer down on the bike. its funny because harley does self guided demo...no need to worry those can barley go over 90mph!

Big mike...thanks, to me being walked by a zx would not be a surprise but for him to hand me my @$$ like i was on a ninja 250 is something different. Yes, i know some of the bmw guys are dreamers..but hey so arent some of the harley guys, when you spend that much you have to think it is better.

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
Big mike...thanks, to me being walked by a zx would not be a surprise but for him to hand me my @$$ like i was on a ninja 250 is something different. Yes, i know some of the bmw guys are dreamers..but hey so arent some of the harley guys, when you spend that much you have to think it is better.

Ever notice on any forum the home team always wins ?!? LOL

As long as you are happy thats all that matters, I don't put a lot of stock in forum bravado although we do get a good laugh from time to time..

enjoy the wekend and ride safe.  8)
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
So will the Connie walk a K1600GT? We shall find out the next time I meet up with one  ;D
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 03:08:47 PM »
I hear guys on the k1600 forums talk about how much faster their bike is than a c14

They are delusional
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »

I also equate buying a Harley to purchasing membership in a club. It's not about the ride, it's about the membership, and all that comes with it.

It's about dressing up like a pirate and revvin' your engine baby!!...lol.

A couple of years ago Kawasaki had a factory truck with all their models going around the country for demo rides. I've been waiting for them to do it again so I and test ride a ZX14R.

They were just here two weeks ago. They had an all day event and a truck load of brand spanky new Kawasaki's that you could try out on the local roadrace track. The new ZX14R was one of the many options. I didn't attend, but a couple of y friends did, and they've been gushing about it ever since, going as far as writing letters of thanks to Kawasaki and the local dealer.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 03:15:43 PM »
So will the Connie walk a K1600GT? We shall find out the next time I meet up with one  ;D

I suspect they would be comparable.

As for the ZX14- that will smoke just about anything out there.

The C14 is tuned for sporty touring, not racing.  It has a very generous amount of power and it is placed for comfort, not for speed.  It is a compromise of comfort, features, and reliability vs. pretty much just power.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
I suspect they would be comparable.

They were compared in the magazines, and if I recall correctly, the big 1600 has a bit more oomph...I forget exactly what, but it had enough 'extra' power and/or acceleration it was worth mentioning. It wasn't like it walked away from the C14 by any means, but I think side by side, the 1600 would walk on the C14, even if it was just a little bit.

I'm only going by fuzzy memory here, and I can't even look it up as I tossed about 40 pounds of magazines last week as part of my 5S blitz in the garage....lol. You'll have to talk to Gary about that one...lol.

To say that it would beat a C14?....It might...by a little.
To say that it would walk away from a C14 without any trouble? Don't think so.
To say that a k1600 is as fast as a ZX14 or ZX14R is really kinda silly, even from the pinky finger in the air and wine-sippin' BMW crowd;)

JMTCW,
Rem :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 04:26:55 PM »
Rem, if I can get book rate I'll ship you that 40#s and raise you another 20#s. Haven't use them in years.  :)

Offline harry76

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »
The 1600 makes more torque but the C14 makes more horsepower, which means the BMW would have more initial oomph but when the Connie gets a few revs it is going by it.
In quarter mile testing the C14 is quicker and pulling away at the end of the quarter.