Author Topic: TPMS Accuracy  (Read 7500 times)

Offline Bourne2Ride

TPMS Accuracy
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
I'm a little confused, and wanted to know if its just my bike. I had the OEM stones on her for the first year (I have a black 2011), and 10K miles. When I picked up the bike the TPM indicated 36 front and 38 rear. When warm they didn't get much above 37/39 respectively. After reading the forums I figured 42 PSI was the proper temp. So i over filled my tires at the local gas station and road it a block - checked the TPM and released air until I had an indicated 42 front and rear. At my 600 mile fill up the service guy said they were over filled and released some air until his gauge indicated 42 PSI front and rear. my dash indicated 36/38 again. So i filled up the tires once more till  [it] showed 42, and changed my own oil and checked my own bolts each following service.  I just hit 11K miles so I just had the tires changed to PR3s. I told the dealer I need 42 F/R, and when i got the bike back (insert irony here) 36/38! So i went to the auto parts store and got my own gauge to check the pressure. Sure enough it showed 42 PSI! So I got my wife's digital unit from her car, and it indicated 41 PSI.

So after this long story, I'm asking. Is my bike reading low? Is that a warranty fix? I'm figuring between the dealer, my two gauges, and a tire change...something's not right.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Conrad

Re: TPMS Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
The TPM sensors are not 100% accurate, they're more of an indicator really. Mine are darn close, depending on the ambiant temp. Fill your tires using a good air pressure guage and note the readings on the bike's dissplay. If those readings start to fall, you know that you're losing air.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:31:11 PM »
My 08 TPMS agrees with my digital guage.

Flathead

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
Mine are about the same, 38/38 indicated = 42 according to 3 different manual gauges. I am at altitude though.... YMMV

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »
Mine consistently reads 2psi under my manual guage. Never really though about elevation having an affect on the variance from manual guage to the bike. I live at 4800' and most rides go above 8800'.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
Set mine at 40, garage temp always 65 degrees. TPM will rise 2 lbs when tires warm up.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
Don't use it as an alternative to an accurate air gauge.  It's isn't meant for that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »
I've heard from a couple places( all on the internet so take it for what it's worth) that the TPMS sensors are also adjusted for temperature. They show what the tire pressure would be if it were 60*F out. 

I know that when temps get around the 60* mark the display and my hand held gauge are pretty close. As the temps get warmer the reading on the dash and the reading from gauge start to differ more.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
Conrad, I must humbly disagree with your post above. And sir no offense intended but I offer a more "accurate" statement:

The TPM sensors, speedo, fuel gauge, avg MPG/remaining fuel indicated value, nor anything else made by Kawasaki (except KiPass of course)  are not even close to accurate, and the sensors are more of an indicator really.
Mine are darn close, depending on the ambiant temp. Fill your tires using a good air pressure guage and note the readings on the bike's dissplay. If those readings start to fall, you know that you're losing air.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
Conrad, I must humbly disagree with your post above. And sir no offense intended but I offer a more "accurate" statement:

The TPM sensors, speedo, fuel gauge, avg MPG/remaining fuel indicated value, nor anything else made by Kawasaki (except KiPass of course)  are not even close to accurate, and the sensors are more of an indicator really.
Mine are darn close, depending on the ambiant temp. Fill your tires using a good air pressure guage and note the readings on the bike's dissplay. If those readings start to fall, you know that you're losing air.

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
From everything I have read, and from my own experience, the TPMS is temperature compensated (68F) and is pretty accurate, within manufacturing tolerances.  I haven't found much evidence either way as to altitude compensation, but I suspect that they are not compensated for elevation.  I'm at about 1200' elevation, and the TPMS is very close @ 68F.

If you have much moisture/condensation in your tires, the TPMS will be less accurate.

I do adjust my tire pressures to keep the displays at 42psi.  I've been cross checking to ambient pressure compensation charts and tire pressure gauges and have full confidence in the bike's display.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »
TPMS is a nifty gadget and merely an indicator to be used as a guide. Go old school and refer to your trusty air gauge.
Side note..... My GPS says I'm doing 75, speedo says 80, feels like 85. Of course I was going down hill, wind assisted, at sea level..... That might be another post
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
From everything I have read, and from my own experience, the TPMS is temperature compensated (68F) and is pretty accurate, within manufacturing tolerances.  I haven't found much evidence either way as to altitude compensation, but I suspect that they are not compensated for elevation.  I'm at about 1200' elevation, and the TPMS is very close @ 68F.

If you have much moisture/condensation in your tires, the TPMS will be less accurate.

I do adjust my tire pressures to keep the displays at 42psi.  I've been cross checking to ambient pressure compensation charts and tire pressure gauges and have full confidence in the bike's display.

Glad yours is accurate.

Mine isn't close to various other tire gauges that all agree. Whether my bike is up in the Rockies, out west, high, low, in between, or right here in Tampa its been off.  I'll agree mine is  within our "manufacturers" tolerance though =)

Mine is great to proactively see a tire going down but as far as accuracy goes, I'm with the others
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
Mine are more than likely coming out soon, but I have found them to be very accurate.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
TPMS is a nifty gadget and merely an indicator to be used as a guide. Go old school and refer to your trusty air gauge.
Side note..... My GPS says I'm doing 75, speedo says 80, feels like 85. Of course I was going down hill, wind assisted, at sea level..... That might be another post

down hill at sea level, were you going underwater with it too? 

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »
I guess I'll have to live with mine being 4 lbs. off. I'm going to get another more accurate gauge and check the pressure at the pump, then call it good. I'll use the TPMS to indicate if I'm losing air.

Thanks for the responses.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »
My TPSes are neither accurate nor precise but they do let me know when I have a hole in my tire. But at least the batteries have lasted 5 years. Is that amazing or wut?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
Yeah I think even my book says trust the tire gauge if i recall correctly

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »
I've asked the same question before.  But so far my experience has been that my own TPMS has been pretty accurate, and very helpful in times when I've had a hole in my tire.  So far there have been two times when having TPMS has resulted in making it to a safe location, vs. being stuck on the road in the middle of nowhere with a flat.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
Even if the TPS readout is not accurate, it should be repeatable. That is all we really need- as long as when the tire is at, say, 42 PSI, the gauge always reads 45 PSI, then the reading is meaningful. A C-14 owner could even go so far as to put a small note near the dash display that reads something like -3 or 45 = 42 or something similar as a reminder.

My own TPS are pretty accurate, and that is for the two sets (front and rear) that I have had in the bike.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com