Author Topic: On .001 miles of a 2000 mile trip  (Read 3661 times)

Offline xsv

On .001 miles of a 2000 mile trip
« on: May 23, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »
The bike is packed, the bags are full, I am geared up and anxious to get going, Yellowstone here I come! :)  I dismount my bike at the gate to my property.  I put it on the kickstand, as I always do.  My driveway is blacktop and the road leading to my gate is dirt.

I leave the kickstand down, as I always do and push the bike 6 feet through the gate.  The kickstand catches the edge of the blacktop and causes the bike to start leaning right.  I am walking on the left.  It was all over at that point.  I try to gently lower the bike because I sure the hell am not stopping it.  It goes down on  the right side.

In preparation of this ride I have been adjusted and massaged several times for a sore lower back.  As I look at the bike I figure I am going to nullify any benefits of those procedures.  I pick it up, with much effort and find scratches on the bag, lower fairing and mirror.  My freshly installed Mondomoto light is pushed in, but my custom bracket for the light is unfazed!   Now I have thought about canyon cages, but don't really care for the look of the 08-09's.  However, I now come to realize that they look better than the scratches I am looking at.

I go back to the garage and hit the scratches with the high speed buffer.  I got a fair amount of them removed or at least diminished the extent of the damage.  What a way to start the trip.

Now sitting in Jackson Hole....its not so bad, just a matter of perspective 8)
Short list....Canyon Cages.

Yeah it sucks, but there are more important thing in life to see and worry about.

2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Conrad

Re: On .001 miles of a 2000 mile trip
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:54:56 AM »
Sorry about your drop! At least you weren't on your way to work.   :o

This is the reason that I always walk my bike while pushing it from the right side. With the side stand down and me on the other side the dropage potential is minimized.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Sorry about the drop. Happens to almost all of us. I made it to almost 45,000 miles on my 2010 because I broke a finger the day before. Really shouldn't have been riding. There is a possitive effect to the first marks and scratches. We worry less about it and enjoy the bikes more. My 2011 hasn't been down yet. 14,000 miles.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
As long as it didn't stop your trip, it's tolerable. Take care of it later and enjoy the ride now!