Author Topic: Scorpion-XDR-Commander short reveiw  (Read 2935 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Scorpion-XDR-Commander short reveiw
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
Just wanted to pass on a great deal I got with the Scorpion Commander 3/4 jacket http://www.compacc.com/p/Scorpion-XDR-Commander-Mens-Jacket .  I was looking for a Hi Viz jacket since I'm a year round rider and do alot of riding in the hours of darkness, and fall winter is coming too.  I saw that Competion Accessories is having a sale on them for 179.00 free shipping so I took the plunge.  I ordered it on a Tuesday at 9:50 AM and on Wendsday (the next day) UPS is knocking on my door with a big box.

One thing realing sticks out about this jacket, outside the obvoius of being BRIGHT, is the weight. This jack is not flimsy at all it heavy when holding but not when wearing, even with both the waterproof liner removed and the thermal taken out.  At has a zillion pockets and straps to custom tailor/fit a wide range of riders. Waterproof zippers and a huge removable collar for extremly cold rides.  So far here in NC I've ridin it in a temp range from 88-62,  with both the liner removed and with all the vents open 88 is doable even in stop and go traffic, when I came home from work the other morning it was 62 degrees, I just had my T shirt on and closed all my vents.  I did'nt really feel any draft anywhere, now what I do love about this, is that even with the cold collar removed, the attached collar allowed NO COLD AIR TO GO PASS MY NECK, that is a real pet pive of mine. Along with that when ridining I did'nt feel bulky and turning my neck was unrestictive. As the temps start getting lower I'll be putting the liners in but I see this jacket in the 30's.  After that I'll have my Jet vest warmer with it.  So I hope I'm good for the fall and winter rides. I hope this helps anyone that might be looking for a great deal on a great jacket.
 I really want to stay away from bulk this winter, my warmest/hottest jacket for the winter is my WWII A-2 US bomber jacket replica leather and sheep fleece.  I've worn it down to 15 degess with only a t-shirt and it was still very warm. But no body protection and bulky.

Cheers
Ron

09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline throb

Re: Scorpion-XDR-Commander short reveiw
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:58:20 AM »
Does it fit pretty true to size?
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
Just checked them out.  No 2XL :(.  Normally wear a XL but after reading some reviews figured I'd need the 2xl..  Afraid I'd be swimming in the 3XL.....(6'2", 218lbs).

I have a TourMaster Transition II which I love for early Spring and Fall riding (No winter riding here in Wisconsin :loco: :nuts: ;D).  Summer time I have to switch to my Mesh jacket.  The Transition II with the "Waterproof Barrier" inside doesn't allow a very good air. flow.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
I received my jacket today. WOW it's awesome!
My wife asked "how much?"  I said less than $300....
When I finally told her $179 she responded by saying "how the he** can they sell that for 180 bucks?"

Fits me like a glove, sleeves are "snug" like others have commented.

I'm 5-10" 199 lbs (lol) and have a smallish belly.

Thanks for pointing out the sale Mayhem!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
I'm glad they worked out my friend.  ;)

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Ok so today was the big test. I had removed the inner most lining (quilted)before leaving this morning.
I left in some drizzle/rainish mixture and by the time I got to work I was dry as a bone.

So for the ride home I ordered up some nasty rain (ok maybe it just happened that way).
First 20 minutes a good solid downpour that make car driver want to pull over. Next 20 minutes it tapered off and was "just" rain.
By this time I was starting to feel two things. The first was my forearms were starting to feel damp and the second was my crotch was MORE than damp.
I both a Frogg Togg rain suit a couple of months ago and it's the second time it happens. Could it not be sealed right..............?
For the last 20 minutes  of my return home the god lord repeated the first 20 minutes.

Report result: Jacket did great in "regular" rain.
After removing the jacket and removing the "Removable Waterproof Liner" it was evident it wasn't really "waterproof"
The two forearms were soaked up to the elbow. I think it could be the two long zippers that are letting in the element.
Normal? who knows I never had a "Waterproof" jacket before. Despite the arm problem the rest was dry!

I guess throwing on the top of my rain suit will be a wiser idea next time. At least I know if I get caught in the rain I'll be good for a while.

It has come to my attention I'll need some type of rain glove, My hands are a little black from the leather ones... ;D

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
Thanks for the input. I've driven in some good rrain, but nothing like you experienced.  But that being said, I'm going to treat my jacket and liner to Nixwax.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-Direct-Fabric-Repellent-ounces/dp/B0019GOKK0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317353043&sr=8-3  Ive heard nother but good things about it, and there is always someone one a fourm that will praise it.  So off I go.....  ;D

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
Thanks for the input. I've driven in some good rrain, but nothing like you experienced.  But that being said, I'm going to treat my jacket and liner to Nixwax.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-Direct-Fabric-Repellent-ounces/dp/B0019GOKK0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317353043&sr=8-3  Ive heard nother but good things about it, and there is always someone one a fourm that will praise it.  So off I go.....  ;D

Cheers
Ron

I really think it's the zippers that are the issue. I know since I changed back to the stock windshield I get alot more vacuum than with my vented C-Bailey. In my own funny way I'm thinking it might be water being sucked into my "pocket". I'll order some of that product too, can't hurt! thx for the tip.