Author Topic: OEM Brake Pad question  (Read 2238 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
OEM Brake Pad question
« on: July 17, 2018, 02:44:50 PM »
The setup: Looking around for brake pads. I have of course seen the cheapos on eBay and Amazon and I even have a set in my tool bag for emergency usage (mine or for a fellow rider). OK for spares in the tool bag, but I didn't like the looks of them, the metal backing was thinner than OEM or EBC and the pads looked smaller in surface area and they didn't appear to have any indentations in the back so I think there is no mechanical attachment in shear, just the glue. I'll probably buy the EBCs from Murph, but....

The Question:...in looking around I noticed that there is a new part number for Gen II OEM pads starting in 2012 (43082-0122). Anybody know what the difference is between them and 43082-112, and if they are interchangeable with each other? Also I found a different one for the Gen I as well 43082-0071.
What's up with this?   Anybody? Anybody?

If this is an old question then I'm hoping max' can steer me with a link?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: OEM Brake Pad question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »

Generally, I remember most (many?) of the past generalized subjects and take it from there.  Lots of talk about brake pads, but I don't see mention of part numbers like this before.

In my case (2011), I took the easy way out and paid the full $$$ and ordered "genuine" pads from the K dealer and didn't look at part numbers.  So I have no idea now what I got or how they compare... I just validated they were Kawasaki before installing them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:11 PM »
the pads can be used on every year manufactured since the 2008 (A) model.
the changeover took place somewheres around 2010, when Kaw 'changed' the pad formulation, in an effort to supply a cure for all the reported brake 'shudder' issues it was seeing, and again upgraded (I think) a second time when the linked brakes became a current production, again, due to some issues with longevity, and complaints, caused by the 'linked' system using the right rotor more than the left rotor, when linking...

all in all, I would think the newest pad formulation would be the best, as the older ones (gen I, '08-'09) were kinda 'gummy' and transferred pad material to the rotors when heated, and then held on at a stop.

the calipers should give you a hint also, as they are all used on all years... so, the parts interchange is viable...
downstream, when they sell off the two prior old stocks of pads, they will supersede them both with the newest number you found.

when my EBC's wear out, I'll buy the latest OEM's again, the -0122's

figure they have the formulation worked out now... :hail: :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 03:38:54 PM »
Are you sure the gen. 2 front brake pads that you found started in 2012 Marty? The reason I ask is because as far as I know, there are two OEM front brake pads for the C-14, the '08 and '09, and the '10 and later. And they are very, very different. They are interchangeable in use. Kawasaki came out with the second pads in an effort of cure the brake rotors warping and it did not work. But they are excellent pads IMO.

I have tried three: OEM gen. 1, OEM gen. 2 and EBC. Of the bunch, I like the OEM gen. 2 the best. The EBC are OK but seem hard on the rotors, plus they are noisy (they 'hiss' under any application, no matter how light).

The gen. 1 OEM pads offer the best stopping power for the least effort and are the most progressive of the three (10% pressure on the lever = 10% braking, 15% pressure = 20% braking, and so on) but they are very soft (Easy Boys!), wear quickly and truly make more brake dust than imaginable.

Oh, and BTW, the gen. 2 brake pads are less expensive than the gen. 1 pads- must be because they do not use as much 'makes brake dust' additive I suppose. :-)

Another very nice touch, at least IMO, is that all OEM brake pads have a wear groove in them and that is very helpful for a visual inspection; no matter how much pad is left, it always seems they are about 10 seconds away from being gone when looking at them on the bike, at least to me.

Brian

The setup: Looking around for brake pads. I have of course seen the cheapos on eBay and Amazon and I even have a set in my tool bag for emergency usage (mine or for a fellow rider). OK for spares in the tool bag, but I didn't like the looks of them, the metal backing was thinner than OEM or EBC and the pads looked smaller in surface area and they didn't appear to have any indentations in the back so I think there is no mechanical attachment in shear, just the glue. I'll probably buy the EBCs from Murph, but....

The Question:...in looking around I noticed that there is a new part number for Gen II OEM pads starting in 2012 (43082-0122). Anybody know what the difference is between them and 43082-112, and if they are interchangeable with each other? Also I found a different one for the Gen I as well 43082-0071.
What's up with this?   Anybody? Anybody?

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Another very nice touch, at least IMO, is that all OEM brake pads have a wear groove in them and that is very helpful for a visual inspection; no matter how much pad is left, it always seems they are about 10 seconds away from being gone when looking at them on the bike, at least to me.

LOL!  I noticed the same thing.  When I finally was all ready to replace them and looked at them OFF the bike, there was more wear left than I thought and I said "F it, it has been 7 years, I am replacing them anyway" since I had the new ones already unpacked and everything ready and set to replace them.

I am pretty sure one or both of my front rotors is slightly warped (since cleaning the bobbins and faces and replacing the pads ultimately didn't fix it) but have not tested it with a runout.  It is slightly annoying at light braking when moving slowly.... so I am still ignoring it for now (has been that way a few years now).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 04:43:05 PM »
Are you sure the gen. 2 front brake pads that you found started in 2012 Marty? The reason I ask is because as far as I know, there are two OEM front brake pads for the C-14, the '08 and '09, and the '10 and later. And they are very, very different. They are interchangeable in use. Kawasaki came out with the second pads in an effort of cure the brake rotors warping and it did not work. But they are excellent pads IMO.

per the Kawasaki Mocrofiche...( not Ron Ayers)

2008 & 2009 model     43082-0071   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE

2010 & 2011 model  43082-0112   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE (Kaw Microfiche shows designator in picture as 43082A, but still calls out the -0112 pad in list)

2012 & up model     43082-0122   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE

3 total pad versions were made.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
I was totally unfamiliar with the third gen. pads- not only never used them, never knew they existed.

Brian

per the Kawasaki Mocrofiche...( not Ron Ayers)

2008 & 2009 model     43082-0071   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE

2010 & 2011 model  43082-0112   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE (Kaw Microfiche shows designator in picture as 43082A, but still calls out the -0112 pad in list)

2012 & up model     43082-0122   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE

3 total pad versions were made.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »
FWIW, I recently changed my pads and went with "43082-0112".  I regret that decision.  I don't recommend those pads.  I'll go back to 43082-0071, next time.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »
There we go, two exact opposite opinions (mine thoughts are the exact inverse).  ;D  This is what happens when we humans are given choices; Henry Ford had it right in only offering the Model T in black- no one complained about the color until there were choices.

I think Mr. Lincoln might say, if he was a motorcycle rider, something such as: ' In great questions in motorcycling, each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time.' So one or both of us is wrong and now it is up to Marty to decide which it is.....    :rotflmao:

Brian

FWIW, I recently changed my pads and went with "43082-0112".  I regret that decision.  I don't recommend those pads.  I'll go back to 43082-0071, next time.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »

well, why go back, when you haven't tried the -0122's yet???

hmmm? :nuts: :popcorn: :popcorn: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

then you can do a full tilt critique, based on all 3 versions....

I like the EBC's, and never cared about the 'hiss' when new, and still on occasion, but I can't complain about the functionality of them...but they are thinner from the start than any of the OEM's I've seen....  (I'll let ya know when they wear out, and I buy -0122's)
dammit... now I have to go look at how much pad is left on my EBC's.... ::)
I really have not seen a lot of the old "my brakes shudder / my rotors are warped" threads from those that had the third gen pads so far, well, not like we had from '08-'10 initial buyers/ owners at least.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
There we go, two exact opposite opinions (mine thoughts are the exact inverse).  ;D  This is what happens when we humans are given choices; Henry Ford had it right in only offering the Model T in black- no one complained about the color until there were choices.

I think Mr. Lincoln might say, if he was a motorcycle rider, something such as: ' In great questions in motorcycling, each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time.' So one or both of us is wrong and now it is up to Marty to decide which it is.....    :rotflmao:

Brian

If not then he's not really GODDDD!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 09:47:00 PM »
If not then he's not really GODDDD!

meh, Abe had an Amish beard...  :chugbeer: :thumbs: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I was gonna say something like that, but this says it better...

https://youtu.be/9t4FgmaKOy8

and it ain't the "Jung ian thing, y'a know, about duality of war,  and stuff" :hail: :grouphug: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 07:01:11 AM »
RIP R. Lee