Author Topic: texting while driving  (Read 18522 times)

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: texting while driving
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
The other day on my commute I was rolling just a little faster than the car in the right lane and I was going to move to pass but saw that she was texting, so I decided to stay in my lane.  Less than 20 seconds later she rear-ended the car ahead of her.  WHEW.

Distracted driving...we have enough laws as others have said.  A PSA campaign to keep people from distracted dring is fine... all distracted driving.  I knew a guy who died tying to light a cigarette.  It isn't new.  Maybe cell phones are worse, maybe not.  I think on a minute by minute basis they're NOT worse, it's just that you can spend SO MANY minutes talking on the car vs. the few seconds you need to light a cigarette.    It's anecdotal at best.  But it all needs to stop.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »
I thought Hands-Free was when I took both hands off the handle bars so I could text easier. Isn't that what everybody does?

+1

And I'm understanding per thread title text is the only bad distraction no matter hands-free or not.  But from a phone forum posting, surfing the web, youtube, email, facebook, etc appears to be OK, or err...maybe "not as bad" 

And people talking on it is totally OK!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »
I'm glad someone else finally used the airplane analgy.I ave used it many times and got "that's diiiiiferent". No, it's not.
Wen driving and my phone rings my ead starts swiveling as if I was flying.
"Don't drop the plane to fly the radio".
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
I'm glad someone else finally used the airplane analgy.I ave used it many times and got "that's diiiiiferent". No, it's not.
Wen driving and my phone rings my ead starts swiveling as if I was flying.
"Don't drop the plane to fly the radio".

So it's not different. How many times does a pilot have to maintain a flight path with tolerance of only a couple of feet? How many times does a pilot have to negotiate an intersection? A roundabout, How many stop signs? How many pedestrians? How many traffic signals? How many lane changes? How many times does he have to maintain position with another vehicle just a few feet in front of him? How many times does have to maintain position while being completely boxed in, front, rear, left, and right? How many school buses and school children does he have to watch out for?
Funny they have auto pilot for Airplanes but not for Autos, Why? Because it is different.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »
So it's not different. How many times does a pilot have to maintain a flight path with tolerance of only a couple of feet? How many times does a pilot have to negotiate an intersection? A roundabout, How many stop signs? How many pedestrians? How many traffic signals? How many lane changes? How many times does he have to maintain position with another vehicle just a few feet in front of him? How many times does have to maintain position while being completely boxed in, front, rear, left, and right? How many school buses and school children does he have to watch out for?

Two versions (three if you count tail-draggers) of the three fundamental rules of flying a plane. 1) Aviate, Navigate, Communicate; in that order. 2) Fly the plane, fly the plane, fly the plane. 3) In the case of tail draggers, keep it straight, keep it straight, keep it straight. Substitute "drive a car" for "fly a plane" above, and I'm sure we'll all be better off.

Funny about planes too, if you grenade the engine (or anything else for that matter), you don't coast to the side of the road and call for a tow truck.

Or, what's the difference between a pilot and ATC? If a pilot screws up, 200 people die. If ATC screws up, 200 people die.

Fly the dang plane.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
It is obvious the pster before Rick doesn't fly.
Can you navigate your car to your driveway without looking out the window? In a car the pavement keeps the car level. What keeps the plane level-while not looking out the window? And guess what-there is someone in you ear talking to you and you have to repeat what was said and still fly the plane.
Car drivers can't do it even without the phone.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »
It is obvious the pster before Rick doesn't fly.
Can you navigate your car to your driveway without looking out the window? In a car the pavement keeps the car level. What keeps the plane level-while not looking out the window? And guess what-there is someone in you ear talking to you and you have to repeat what was said and still fly the plane.
Car drivers can't do it even without the phone.
I don't drive cars but I do navigate my motorcycle home and into my driveway without looking out the window.
If the pavement keeps the car level, how do cars turn over? All the aircraft I've been in had instruments such as a Attitude indicator and an altimeter. The pilot has much more time to check his instruments and monitor radio transmissions has he does not have to contend with the rapidly changing conditions as an auto driver has to deal with constantly. Not just when pulling into his driveway.

Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
(snip)

Funny about planes too, if you grenade the engine (or anything else for that matter), you don't coast to the side of the road and call for a tow truck.

(/snip)

Well, there's your first problem.  Grenades are for blowing things up, not flying...
 ;D

Seriously, though, talking into a device while driving isn't new.  Truck drivers have been using CB's for years.  Texting, however, does require more brain activity than running your mouth, and that activity would be better used paying attention to the road.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »

How's that go the two things a pilot can never have enough of is altitude below and fuel in the tank?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
How's that go the two things a pilot can never have enough of is altitude below and fuel in the tank?
Three things... Altitude, fuel, runway ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »
I bet you can't drive your bike to your driveway just by looking at the instrument panel.
More time to do things? Yep, its obvious ya don't fly.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 08:49:37 PM »
Pilots are superior. Gotchya. Especially when their drunk. Then they can sing Karaoke into their radios while simultaneously landing the plane AND finishing up the super Hard Sudoku that was in their morning paper all the while blindfolded listening to William Hung's  "She Bang"

Just knowing that little tidbit will make me so much more confident the next time I step into a plane.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:32 PM »
WTH did that come from?
What are the odds of having a drunk pilot vs a drunk driver?
The point is here flying is much more labor intensive than driving and pilots MUST.also talk on a radio and memorize, repeat and execute what they are told. An auto driver doesn't come anywhere near that level of concentration.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2011, 04:59:50 AM »
Pilots are superior. Gotchya. Especially when their drunk. Then they can sing Karaoke into their radios while simultaneously landing the plane AND finishing up the super Hard Sudoku that was in their morning paper all the while blindfolded listening to William Hung's  "She Bang"

Just knowing that little tidbit will make me so much more confident the next time I step into a plane.

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »
WTH did that come from?
What are the odds of having a drunk pilot vs a drunk driver?
The point is here flying is much more labor intensive than driving and pilots MUST.also talk on a radio and memorize, repeat and execute what they are told. An auto driver doesn't come anywhere near that level of concentration.

I had a long reply written out, then decided I really don't care anymore. Pilots are superior. WE GET IT! 

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »

Well, there is ONE time when you can have too much fuel.

When you're on fire.....

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
Pilots are superior!

Snippage

We have now "jumped the shark".

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »

Unless it rains this afternoon I'm going to post in this thread from my EVO 4G phone mounted on my C14, but of course I won't under any circumstances "text-message" or look at GPS or the pretty lady in the lane beside me or anything else distracting.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
cell phones and motorcycles
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
Yesterday I saw a motorcycle rider checking his cell phone at every stop light. I thought ok no big deal until he started checking his cell phone while he was riding. I wonder how many of you out there have seen this....I know no one will admit to it. What got me he was a seasoned rider....old enough to know better... is being kind. There are all kind of hand signals for motorcycle travel ....let invent one for "dont look at your phone while on a motorcycle"......or is this to much "Big Brother."
On the blue shore of silence

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: cell phones and motorcycles
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2011, 06:39:19 PM »
My EVO 4G phone is on a RAM mount on my bike and serves as GPS, texting. e-mail, TV, internet, youtube, weatherbug, online banking, etc etc  etc

"of course" I never use GPS or text while bike is moving, I pull over to do anything