Author Topic: Fuel Breather  (Read 1456 times)

Offline blue72beetle

Fuel Breather
« on: April 19, 2019, 08:21:22 PM »
I'm replacing the California fuel tank on my bike with a federal tank, and have removed all of the CA emissions stuff. This means I will have to run a Fuel Breather Hose. On the diagram, it shows a 'Breather', part # 14069-0703. From my research, it appears this is just a hollow bulb-type thing that goes on the line. Am I wrong? What does it do?
Is this really necessary, or will a plain line work fine?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Fuel Breather
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 05:26:27 AM »
You don't need the catch bottle.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
I'm not sure that is a catch bottle, isn't it a small filter so that if there is negative pressure that the air entering the system is filtered? Sorry I have a California model and I just plugged the vacuum line and put a filter on the other line when I removed only the canister. So I guess I'm no help, you need someone that has actually messed with that item on a 49 state bike. I still think it's an air filter or some sort of one way air valve.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »
Its a small catch bottle, any condensation/liquid in the air box drains to it.
IBA #18591

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 01:14:51 PM »

I respectfully disagree.  ('Mitch, please note I said respectfully, which I meant.  :) )

He is showing a different part, not the catch bottle...check the parts fiche (online) he is showing part number 14069-0703 (breather) not part number 13045-1057 (receiver-oil).

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
that catch bottle is a catch for overflow/vapor release side, inside cap, the other "hose" (l/h side on all) is to allow water to flow away from around the cap..
.Just an overflow...

The "vented" spigot (r/h side one for 49 state &Can) should have a hose, bottle, and shrot hose to drain on the end, and on '08 there was another part above the catch bottle...
49006-1267   BOOT,BREATHER
   14069-1051   BREATHER
they removed it in '09, (non Cali) and from past that, all the bikes became the same...

Cali bikes, had the far r/h spigot plumbed into the canisters for Evap recycle... that one could be plugged on a non Cali bike,with a Cali tank, and Evap removed and properly plugged along with the throttle bodies and if desired, the stuff above suggested is attached to the spigot to the left of it.
also:
I respectfully disagree.  ('Mitch, please note I said respectfully, which I meant.  :) )

He is showing a different part, not the catch bottle...check the parts fiche (online) he is showing part number 14069-0703 (breather) not part number 13045-1057 (receiver-oil).

that is the "other" catch bottle... there are 2 of them on a pre '10 normal bike (49 & Can) both of mine have the boot, and the lower bottle (from the airbox) has a cap on it... on my '08, they are identical (and same p/n), I think they did away with the "cap" thing on the one to the airbox, and created the sealed bottom version 13045-1057, because people were leaving the rubber drain cap off...which allowed dirty air to be sucked up into the airbox.. not good.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 05:22:57 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..