Author Topic: WHO rode today 1-6-12 ?  (Read 14332 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: WHO rode today 1-6-12 ?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
I did about a 1/2 mile on the KLR, in 8 inches of snow :yikes:

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
I did about a 1/2 mile on the KLR, in 8 inches of snow :yikes:

Count me as jealous.

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »
1-9 was treacherous!  Northern VA got some snow flurries...totally unexpected.  Long story short:  2 hour ride home in the snow...luckily i66 stayed clear and just a tad slushy, my windshield didn't do to well and had to lower it so i could keep my eye on the road (snow kept caking up on it), which made for a "windier" (is that a word?) ride home.  Made it home safe and sound.
In December, we took a 300 mile ride, with about half of it in drizzling rain.  Then the rain turned into a light snowfall, which was beautiful coming down.  But as the elevation was rising and the day falling, it got more interesting from there.  :)  25 miles in the snow that felt like 50.  Just under 1/2" of snow stuck to the windshield.  At times the snow was falling so thick that I had to wipe the faceshield every 2-3 seconds.  We were following the tire tracks on the road, which stayed more or less clear (the tracks, not the road).  At one point, I decided that the left track was getting a bit close to oncoming traffic,  and had to cross 2-3" deep slush to get to the right track.  That convinced me that it would be just as well to stay in the right track from there on.  All in all, it was one of those "When is this merry-go-round going to stop?  I'd like to get off." kind of experiences.  At the coldest, the air temp dropped to 32.2F, but the bike never slipped nor hesitated. 

You realize how stressed you were when it's raining and 33F degrees and you are celebrating the warm, clear weather.  :)  First real ride in the snow, and it was fun.  Not ready to do it again anytime soon, however.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
You guys impresss me! I'll never do that, ride in snow, ever. Besides, roads here in northern Ohio are literally covered in salt and calcium chloride, even on clear days after a rain its still there. If you want your bike to corrode away in a few years ride in this mess, even if you hose it off, it still leaches out from nooks and crannys of the vehicle. First snow my bike gets stored not to appear until after a few good HARD rains in spring.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 06:23:12 AM »
You guys impresss me! I'll never do that, ride in snow, ever. Besides, roads here in northern Ohio are literally covered in salt and calcium chloride, even on clear days after a rain its still there. If you want your bike to corrode away in a few years ride in this mess, even if you hose it off, it still leaches out from nooks and crannys of the vehicle. First snow my bike gets stored not to appear until after a few good HARD rains in spring.

+1. The roads around here are exactly the same.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, 06:27:57 AM »
Just a few miles for me today, In Salt Lake City. I feel like every ride here, in January, is cheating the system.  It was cold and I had to be careful to go around ice spots on the road, but very fun.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »

LOL...I didn't impress me.  I was pissed for being out...but weather ap duped me. Luckily its been pretty mild this winter in northern VA...cold as snow man's balls, but very little snow.
Will

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
    Hey All!! Another 140 odd miles today 1/31 in and around Central Ohio........Love this winter-but I KNOW its coming,we are gonna pay for our riding days in Dec,Jan, sometime I am certain of it :chugbeer:

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »
Way to go Mike, I hit Iron Pony just because today. Got 147 in before the misting rain started.
Looks like tomorrow (Wed. the 1st) will be in the upper 40's and good in the afternoon.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »
I got 50 k's in today.  It was warm enough to ride all day long, but there was a lot of wet spots and salt on the dry roads . Near Niagara Falls Ontario

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 05:04:59 AM »
Salty in Minneapolis too, but that didn't stop me either.
It was all boring riding around the city (doing errands) but boy all those cagers looking at me didn't know what they were missing!
'02 C-10

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
1-9 was treacherous!  Northern VA got some snow flurries...totally unexpected.  Long story short:  2 hour ride home in the snow...luckily i66 stayed clear and just a tad slushy, my windshield didn't do to well and had to lower it so i could keep my eye on the road (snow kept caking up on it), which made for a "windier" (is that a word?) ride home.  Made it home safe and sound.

Sounds like fun! Luckily I work at home on Mondays, and was amazed that it snowed all day even though the weather jerks said it would be clear. I did sell my '02 that night, and has to run it up ramps onto the back of a pickup.  Dark out, slushy street, wet ramps, full tank of gas are not a good combo for loading a C10. My foot slipped at the top of the ramps, and I almost dumped it off the side. Heart skipped a beat, but I was able to catch it.
68 degrees at the moment...today should make for a nice ride home!
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »
Sounds like fun! Luckily I work at home on Mondays, and was amazed that it snowed all day even though the weather jerks said it would be clear. I did sell my '02 that night, and has to run it up ramps onto the back of a pickup.  Dark out, slushy street, wet ramps, full tank of gas are not a good combo for loading a C10. My foot slipped at the top of the ramps, and I almost dumped it off the side. Heart skipped a beat, but I was able to catch it.
68 degrees at the moment...today should make for a nice ride home!

Holy shyte!  Brave man.  I had some biopsy stuff for my Crohn's Disease done yesterday, so no bike for me till tomorrow. 
Will

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »
Holy shyte!  Brave man.  I had some biopsy stuff for my Crohn's Disease done yesterday, so no bike for me till tomorrow.

Bummer Roadie. Hope the tests come back with a good report.

And knowing that some of you are wrestling with cold weather and such, here is a NSFSBR (not safe for snow bound riders) link to our little jaunt down to Monterey Sunday.  ;D

http://backoutonthehighway.com/2012/01/29/lunch-with-russ-east-bay-to-monterey/

2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2012, 05:05:08 AM »
Hope all comes out good and you're back on the bike today...spitting on the way in, but should be sunny this afternoon.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline insignificant

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
i rode to jury duty in cincy today. mostly sunny and mid 50's. no discount for bike parking- $6. same as my 1/2 ton p/u.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »
Jury duty pay doesn't cover that ?  You need to get a hold of Kathy Bates on Harry's Law, I bet she could help you. I got in a simple 12 miles, cause I was looking for cheaper then   $3.49 a gallon gas around here.
And judging from the news this evening, we are not going to down anytime soon.
It might be time for a gas revolt, I wonder if we could get that started.
Well anyway, ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2012, 04:34:17 AM »
Jury duty pay doesn't cover that ?  You need to get a hold of Kathy Bates on Harry's Law, I bet she could help you. I got in a simple 12 miles, cause I was looking for cheaper then   $3.49 a gallon gas around here.
Greg

Did you find it?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline insignificant

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 06:39:45 AM »
Greg

Jury pay in Hamilton Co is $19 per day. That is supposed to help cover parking and lunch. I'm taking the bike again today- *60 and sunny by lunch time. Wind and rain moving in tonight.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »
Jury pay in Hamilton Co is $19 per day. That is supposed to help cover parking and lunch. I'm taking the bike again today- *60 and sunny by lunch time. Wind and rain moving in tonight.

I hope that you have an interesting case at least?

Round these parts we get jack squat for jury duty, BUT, my employer still pays me so that's good.