Author Topic: Can smartphone / tablet / Apple app be modified?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Can smartphone / tablet / Apple app be modified?
« on: July 24, 2017, 04:18:26 AM »
So I think I know the answer to this question but am going to ask anyway:

I assume that 'apps' are like most software, written in high level languages or a combination of high / low level languages, complied and then distributed. Modifying them is just not going to happen without a lot of very specific knowledge and some sophisticated software tools, such as decompliers and so forth.

My specific questions involves apps that use specific hardware.... can they be altered to use other hardware? More specifically, I am looking at a series of target cameras and each mfg. uses their own apps for their own hardware (of course). The problem is that some software (the apps) is terrible while others range from OK to quite good. Same thing with the hardware, which is basically a camera and WiFi tx, and they too range from fair to excellent. So of course the idea is to combine the better hardware with the better app and also of course that has been prevented by the app writer. Can this be gotten around (not trying to boot or steal anything here, just..... er, make it cross- compatible.)

Similar question applies to the hardware: some of the hardware is very good but has something not quite great, almost always the camera or WiFi tx itself. And while they start off as simple security cameras, they are sometimes 'cobbled' by the mfg. so they cannot be swapped for a better, say, camera.

In the end, these are pretty simple systems in that they are just using off- the- shelf components to make a 'system'.

Oh yeah, one more question: can the range of the WiFi system be extended? Most systems are either rated for ~300 yards or ~ 1 mile. I do not need a 1 mile system (around here, I would have to cross a state line to use that!) but some of the 300 yard systems are sketchy at 300 yards. So can something such as a directional receiver be added to extend the range or more accurately, make it rock- solid at 300 yards?

Thanks for any input.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Can smartphone / tablet / Apple app be modified?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »
With enough lawyers, guns, and money, anything can be accomplished.

As far as wifi, they make repeaters/range extenders.   Better to buy an extender that same brand as what you have.   If you have an older router (4 years or more), I'd buy a new one (better in everything) and get an extender of the same family.   There are so many technologies to choose from based on what you need to accomplish.   Too much to explain here.

https://www.lifewire.com/before-you-buy-a-wireless-internet-router-818328
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
Brian;

Apps
Unless the app is open source (and you know programming) this is usually just about impossible. Difficult even if it meets both those criteria.  If you can find an app that does 'nearly' what you need, you might have some luck talking with the developer, but this too is just a 'hail-Mary' type solution.

Wifi issues
Wifi repeater/Amps are available that simply take the input signal. boost and re-transmit the same signal...  I haven't found them to be super reliable, but that may just be my experience - maybe I was a little too optimistic on range.  I ended up getting a second router, and a special 150' low-impedance Cat6 cable connecting it to the main router to solve my reception issues.  Cable can be pricey, but once installed is very stable.
You could always build your own transmitter/receiver pair : google yagi antennas, usually made with Pringles potato chip cans or coffee cans (I think the Pringle cans work better, but I haven't actually tried the coffee cans.  I have done this, and shared (for a while) my Wifi with a neighbour just under a 1/4 mile away. Once we got them aimed correctly, the reception was really good, very little interference or slowdown only in really bad weather. The only caveat is that you need a wifi router that can handle external antennas... (typically BNC type connectors)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
Yeah, that is what I thought regarding the app but was hoping against hope that there was some trick or shortcut.... :-(   As far as the 'stealing' part, I would be happy to pay some reasonable fee for the software to be usable with different hardware though I doubt that is going to be offered.

As usual, the good hardware guys are not so hot with software, the the good software guys are not overly spiffy with apps.... and this is why automation engineers exist, the entire group of 9 at the last meeting.  ;) :o

Yep, a directional antennae and re- broadcasting unit would be the right device. It would have to be small, easily packed and carried, and battery powered. Most likely the display and WiFi receiving unit will be an Apple Ipad, so tapping into an Ethernet is not going to happen.

Thanks for the input guys, it is appreciated.

Brian

Brian;

Apps
Unless the app is open source (and you know programming) this is usually just about impossible. Difficult even if it meets both those criteria.  If you can find an app that does 'nearly' what you need, you might have some luck talking with the developer, but this too is just a 'hail-Mary' type solution.

Wifi issues
Wifi repeater/Amps are available that simply take the input signal. boost and re-transmit the same signal...  I haven't found them to be super reliable, but that may just be my experience - maybe I was a little too optimistic on range.  I ended up getting a second router, and a special 150' low-impedance Cat6 cable connecting it to the main router to solve my reception issues.  Cable can be pricey, but once installed is very stable.
You could always build your own transmitter/receiver pair : google yagi antennas, usually made with Pringles potato chip cans or coffee cans (I think the Pringle cans work better, but I haven't actually tried the coffee cans.  I have done this, and shared (for a while) my Wifi with a neighbour just under a 1/4 mile away. Once we got them aimed correctly, the reception was really good, very little interference or slowdown only in really bad weather. The only caveat is that you need a wifi router that can handle external antennas... (typically BNC type connectors)

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »

Oh yeah, one more question: can the range of the WiFi system be extended? Most systems are either rated for ~300 yards or ~ 1 mile. I do not need a 1 mile system (around here, I would have to cross a state line to use that!) but some of the 300 yard systems are sketchy at 300 yards. So can something such as a directional receiver be added to extend the range or more accurately, make it rock- solid at 300 yards?

Thanks for any input.

Brian

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/
--
space reserved for humourous sig file