Author Topic: For those that miss the Super Tech 7317 oil filters  (Read 5832 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
For those that miss the Super Tech 7317 oil filters
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »
They were made by Champion and sold for just under $3. It appears they are back on the market under the 'Champ' brand. I just got 6 of them delivered and they appear to be identical to the Super Tech other than the fact that they are white. Mine came from All Battery Sales and Service, cost $2.56 each and shipping was $6.30 so the final cost was less than $4 / filter including shipping.

Now the funny part that had to be coming.... The long filter is part number PH2867. The company made a mistake and actually shipped PH2876 filters which appear to be the short version of the same filter. I called them, pointed out the mistake and asked for either the correct filter or a vehicle that fits the filters they shipped; they choose to send the correct filters out and did so that very day. :-)  They didn't want me to ship the other, short, filters back so now I am hip- deep in oil filters. Maybe I can weld two of the short filters together to make 3 really long filters out of the six short filters I have....  ;D

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: For those that miss the Super Tech 7317 oil filters
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »
Just welding two filters together is not going to make them perform any better than  a single short filter unless you drill a hole in the base filter and insure that it is properly sealed to the second filter. You could feasibly do it but it would be more trouble thn it would be wotrh, in my opinion. Just saying...
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »
I would suggest one on each ear to filter what enters and what leaves ;D  I bet Kirbys bike is due an oil change ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:09:11 AM »
C'mon Bob, work with me here. See the smiley face? I don't think a person could do much with two $2.50 filters in the way of customization and make them better.

So the beginning of the post was serious- the filters do exist, I did buy them and they do appear to be Champion manufactured. The latter part of the post was humorous and I never really was going to try to TIG weld two 0.010" thick steel (and painted) cans together so I never got as far as working out the oil flow of the two filters internally.

;D ;D ;D

Brian

Just welding two filters together is not going to make them perform any better than  a single short filter unless you drill a hole in the base filter and insure that it is properly sealed to the second filter. You could feasibly do it but it would be more trouble thn it would be wotrh, in my opinion. Just saying...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
My post was intended to be humuorous in its entirety.  But if anyone could make a dubble work it'd be you!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
I would suggest one on each ear to filter what enters and what leaves ;D  I bet Kirbys bike is due an oil change ;)

+1

Yeah, his skin appeared somewhat dry when i met him last month!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline daringdave

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
We haven't seen kirby in a while... Is he on Holiday or just becoming self concious about getting so skinny?
2010 Neptune Blue

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
Actually Kirby has been hard at work on a new C-14 project. He has made a few missteps lately though and 'let the smoke out' of some internal electrical items. Still I guess he is making progress overall and he remains confident in the outcome. I don't want to give it away but he is thinking of naming it the Virginia Jim memorial farkle.

Brian

We haven't seen kirby in a while... Is he on Holiday or just becoming self concious about getting so skinny?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »
I tried to look this up and I couldn't find the answer.

It seems like the ST7317 was replaced by the ST9688 perhaps years ago. I am not sure how available the ST9688 is or if it is not recommended for some reason.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
 You probably would have had better luck on your search if the subject wasn't 7 and a half years old.

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 12:36:29 AM »
I guess a better question would be which is the best and or cheapest filter I could find at Walmart today.

From the list of filters it looks like my best  bet is the K&N HP-1008 which should be in stock at any Walmart I checked. I was only looking for the KN-303.

It also lists the following in stock.

SuperTech ST6607
SuperTech ST9688 (this cross references to the HP-1008 but the box says HP-1004)

Maybe there is something better to look for at Walmart.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 05:47:18 AM »
I can't say what is best, but I use K&N 303
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »
I dont see any Super Tech products at my Wal mart for a few years I use HIFLOFILTRO HF303
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/220-0567/hiflofiltro-oil-filter-black
Sorry for being a smart ass 8)