Author Topic: Oil Pan Swap  (Read 2821 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Oil Pan Swap
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
  I'm a little worried about being able to tighten the new piece when I get it without messing up the threads.

Perhaps get a couple of 3/4-16 20mm-1.5 jam nuts (they are thinner than regular nuts) from Fastenal and tighten them against each other to install the threaded pipe?

I'm pretty sure that the filter uses 3/4-16 threads but I could be wrong, 20mm-1.5 threads.  I'd try jam nuts on the old one and see if 1) they fit the threads, 2)
see if you can loosen the old one and use it on the new oil pan?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 08:34:26 PM »
shove a piece of threaded rod, thru the section, add nut/washer/nut on each end, tightening well, then use that to unthread the pipe from the case.. probably $5 in hardware at Lowe's.. to make the removal tool. Depending on install vs removal, you may have to swap ends with wrench,  on which direction you are turning it with the wrench, i.e. inside, or exterior.. but I think you can get the drift of it from that. good luck, you can do it.

For removal, you will wrench from the inside, that will unscrew the pipe, for install, you wrench from the outside, and that will tighten it back in...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline klb1122

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »
Perhaps get a couple of 3/4-16 20mm-1.5 jam nuts (they are thinner than regular nuts) from Fastenal and tighten them against each other to install the threaded pipe?

I'm pretty sure that the filter uses 3/4-16 threads but I could be wrong, 20mm-1.5 threads.  I'd try jam nuts on the old one and see if 1) they fit the threads, 2)
see if you can loosen the old one and use it on the new oil pan?

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
oh, and the same part is used on both pans, so if you don't damage it, you got it for the cost of making the tool I noted above.

Offline klb1122

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:50 PM »
oh, and the same part is used on both pans, so if you don't damage it, you got it for the cost of making the tool I noted above.

I've already damaged the one on my old pan, trying to remove it like a barbarian.   :-[

I read you post above about a removal/installation tool, but it's not making sense to me.  I think I see what you're saying, but in my mind it only works if you're able to run the threaded rod through the pipe and access both ends.  That's not the case with the oil pan though, you can only get to the part on the outside of the pan, the other side of the pipe is not accessible from the inside of the oil pan.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 09:16:21 PM »
sorry, my bad, I assumed the hole was threaded "thru', and could be accessed, also from inside.... I didn't know it was threaded to an "internal shoulder/stop" which it sounds like you describe.

again, sorry. I was going by photos, manual, and microfiche diagrams. best of luck. To remove it tho, you might use an extractor bit that fits inside the tube, kinda like an "easy out" tool.

Offline klb1122

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 07:06:43 AM »
sorry, my bad, I assumed the hole was threaded "thru', and could be accessed, also from inside.... I didn't know it was threaded to an "internal shoulder/stop" which it sounds like you describe.

again, sorry. I was going by photos, manual, and microfiche diagrams. best of luck. To remove it tho, you might use an extractor bit that fits inside the tube, kinda like an "easy out" tool.

Not a problem!  I didn't know if I was missing something from your description.  Thanks for your help.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »
I've already damaged the one on my old pan, trying to remove it like a barbarian.   :-[

One might be tempted to use the ....sorry...it's hard to say it............the red thread locker that comes in the blue tube (what's up wit dat? anyway?) on the new one
during the install...however, I suggest ordering two of the threaded pipes (just because I love spending other people's money  :) ) and using blue thread locker (that comes in the red tube  :doh: ) on one during the install.
Keeping the spare handy for the time where you are changing oil the night before a trip and the one you installed comes out firmly stuck in the old oil filter.

Offline klb1122

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 10:02:46 PM »
I completely overthought the threaded tube that holds the oil filter on.  The new one arrived and it threaded in easily until it came to a stop.  I tightened it with my hand as much as I could, then put the new oil filter on.  Put the exhaust back on and it fired right up.  Leaving the plastics off for another day to make sure of no oil leaks anywhere then I'll button her back up.  I should have done this years ago. 

Offline klb1122

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2020, 06:53:13 PM »
Project completed.  Dressed her back up today.   8)