Author Topic: Concours - GTR 1400 Fender Extender  (Read 118704 times)

Offline Blue One

Concours - GTR 1400 Fender Extender
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
Still the  best looking and most effective fender extender you can buy for your Concours - GTR. Very OEM in appearance.

I designed  these and mold them using 1/8" thick ABS plastic.  The color as you can see is black and they have a textured surface that goes well with the rest of the bikes black trim.

The purpose of the fender extender is to protect your radiator from  damage and also protect the lower bodywork as well as the area where the pipes and oil filter are.

The Stock fender is ABS plastic, so installation involves removing the fender and gluing the extender in place using ABS glue.  No screws or rivets needed for a clean look.

The extender will stay in place and do it's job.  Installation instructions are included.

The price is $45 US which includes mailing to your address.  There are now hundreds of these in service all over the world.

Send me a private message or an e-mail and you can order using paypal.

Overseas shipping can be arranged.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:13:10 AM by Blue One »

Son of Pappy

Re: Concours - GTR 1400 Fender Extender
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »
Still waiting on a hugger? ;D

Offline Blue One

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
I also do a rear fender extender for the Concours.

The price is $60 US   Installation involves removing the rear fender and riveting the extender in place as the rear fender is polypropylene and you can't glue to it.

After riviting a small bead of black RTV on the inside seam seals it nicely.

The rear extender helps a great deal in keeping the back of the bike clean and drier in the rain.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:51:46 AM by Blue One »

Offline Blue One

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
Couple more pictures of the rear fender extender.

Offline Reddogger

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
I would defenitely be interested in a rear tire hugger.
"...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."                     

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Blue One

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »
I decided not to do a rear hugger as they (huggers) actually do very little in the functionality department.  They may look cool,but only direct things in a different direction and don't actually solve a problem.

My rear fender extender on the other hand has proven to be effective.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:50:26 AM by Blue One »

Offline Blue One

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
Still have plenty of front fender extenders molded and ready to go.  A quick PM and a payment to paypal is all it takes to get one.  :)

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:05:36 AM »
I have to say this is probably the best extender out there.  It hangs much lower than those offered by others and I also want to say that it's wider as well.  Only a few minutes to install and it looks great.
I feel like a new person!

Offline Blue One

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:28:56 AM »
I have to say this is probably the best extender out there.  It hangs much lower than those offered by others and I also want to say that it's wider as well.  Only a few minutes to install and it looks great.

Thanks, glad you like it. There are a great many of these in service all over the world now ,and I have more ready to go for anyone who wants one. Just send me a PM and I can provide an address for Paypal.

Larry.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:48:23 PM by Blue One »

Offline gnuse

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 06:21:16 PM »
I got my new fender extender from Larry and after reading all I could about removing the front fender, I got all of the tools and some silicone spray out in preparation for what was likely going to be a difficult task.

After realizing the worst that could happen would be that I would break a brake line clip, I grabbed the needle nose pliers and I sprayed some silicone spray on the clip. I then grabbed the circular part of the clip that the brake line goes through at the 3:00 position and gave a pull. The clip popped right out. Then the left side slipped right out. It was not a big deal and nothing was damaged. Thanks to all for their words of advice.

It seems Home Depot and the local hardware stores only carry a glue that works with ABS, PVC, and CPVC. I hope it works. I sanded and scored the mating parts and they are now clamped together. Hope to ride tomorrow.  :D
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
If you have any problems getting the glue to stick you can also go to an auto parts store and buy some of that 3M  body tape.  It works just as good and less messy.
I feel like a new person!

Offline gnuse

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
Thanks, but it is glued and clamped already. Discrete mechanical fasteners might be a last resort. I'm guessing there is no getting it off now  ::)
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 04:31:43 AM »
I bought mine from Murph and just used the cement.  It ain't coming off.  Did the same thing with my C10...it never came off either.  If it's glued correctly it won't come off.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Blue One

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
I bought mine from Murph and just used the cement.  It ain't coming off.  Did the same thing with my C10...it never came off either.  If it's glued correctly it won't come off.

Too bad it (Murphs extender) is only about 1/2 the extender mine is in both  appearance and function  :) 

You are correct in the statement that once they (ABS plastic fender extenders) are glued on using the proper glue that they are not coming off. No mechanical fastening required.

ABS glue bonds using a solvent cement type bond which is a chemical bond where the solvent slightly melts the plastic and joins it almost like welding.

That's why it is important to use the proper glue. Any other type of glue will not give the proper bond and it could fall off at any time.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:32:14 PM by Blue One »

Offline Blue One

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
Thanks, but it is glued and clamped already. Discrete mechanical fasteners might be a last resort. I'm guessing there is no getting it off now  ::)

As long as the glue you used is rated or specified as being good for ABS plastic (among others) then you will be fine. No mechanical screws ,rivets etc needed.

The problems come when ABS plastic is NOT mentioned  on the list of a bonding agents (glues) uses. Just seeing "May be used on plastics" is NOT good enough.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »
Are you running a sale on these for Christmas?
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Blue One

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
I don't usually run anything in way of a sale. I make these in my garage and get pretty busy around this time. I do have stock on hand if you want to order one up.

Besides my normal price is way way cheaper than a new radiator  ;)

Larry.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:02:53 PM by Blue One »

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »
pm sent   :D
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Blue One

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »
pm sent   :D

Your front fender extender is on it's way to you now.

Thanks  :)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
Got it today! Looks very nice.  ;D
The Pope