Author Topic: Oooops- Oil!  (Read 945 times)

Offline wtaylorc14

Oooops- Oil!
« on: March 23, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
OK, so this isn't a regular oil thread.  Don't worry.  I goofed and just wanted assurance all will be well.  OK, so I have always used Mobil 1, but on this 2008, I am going economical. So, last change I used Rotella T6... loved it.  Bike shifts smoother than anything I can remember.  So decided to go again.  Got a quart of it and then searched Walmart for a gallon.. which was hard to find.. only a few left.. grabbed one.  Today, I get to changing oil.  Drained, add a K&N, then start pouring the T6.  About a quart in, I see it is 15w40 T6.  NEVER even knew they made this.. only had seen 5w40.  Well, I got no car, and I gotta get oil in there.  So, I add a quart of T6 5w40 and then top off with the 15w40 T6.  So, it's kinda CLOSE to a 10w40, right?  I am in FL  and in a month taking the bike to New Mexico and back so will be changing it again after that trip.  Wanted to make sure I'm ok.. I believe I am but want a calm hand of assurance on my shoulder.  Tell me I'm right! Please
2008 ABS C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Oooops- Oil!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »
It is fine. All motor oils are miscible with each other and mixing two or more is not a problem. If you think about it, any time the oil brand / weight is changed the oil is always mixed with what was left in the engine and transmission anyway. And both Rotella oils are great lubricants. I use Rotella 15W- 40 (that is mineral oil, the other is 'left handed' synthetic oil) and always mix in at least a quart of Penzoil 10W-40 just because the bike shifts so much better with Penzoil (but not for very long if only Penzoil is used alone IME).

Other than using an incredibly incorrect weight (straight weight 70W oil in Alaska for example), all modern motor oils are excellent and all work well. Get even reasonably close to the correct weight for the climate and any oil widely available will be a fine choice.

Brian

OK, so this isn't a regular oil thread.  Don't worry.  I goofed and just wanted assurance all will be well.  OK, so I have always used Mobil 1, but on this 2008, I am going economical. So, last change I used Rotella T6... loved it.  Bike shifts smoother than anything I can remember.  So decided to go again.  Got a quart of it and then searched Walmart for a gallon.. which was hard to find.. only a few left.. grabbed one.  Today, I get to changing oil.  Drained, add a K&N, then start pouring the T6.  About a quart in, I see it is 15w40 T6.  NEVER even knew they made this.. only had seen 5w40.  Well, I got no car, and I gotta get oil in there.  So, I add a quart of T6 5w40 and then top off with the 15w40 T6.  So, it's kinda CLOSE to a 10w40, right?  I am in FL  and in a month taking the bike to New Mexico and back so will be changing it again after that trip.  Wanted to make sure I'm ok.. I believe I am but want a calm hand of assurance on my shoulder.  Tell me I'm right! Please
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »
should have just used the 15w40, and topped the last bit with the other stuff....
seriously, the owners manual show the weight on oil vs temp pretty simply.

don't panic, it's perfectly fine, I wouldn't use anything less than a 10w XX oil anyways, just my personal opinion...

see below.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
Thanks BDF and MOB!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:50:41 PM by wtaylorc14 »
2008 ABS C14

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 03:11:14 AM »
Dead dinosaurs make slick stuff!
The grass isn't always greener.