Poll

Vote to be part of the KIPASS BYPASS MOD by BDF

Vote to be part of the buy....
100 (87.7%)
Don't press this button.......
14 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF  (Read 191711 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
The activation switch failures are down since Kawasaki put in a stiffer (Easy Boys!) spring under that switch. They still stick though- I had a customer in (I think?) Nevada who was plagued by the same old problem with a 2014 :-(  The way to eliminate the problem is to put in a positive displacement switch that is mechanically linked to the main key mechanism so when it sticks, the rider can pull on the switch until it is free and back in the 'OFF' position.

Brian

So what's the deal with these 'Kipass' failures? Are they still an issue even on late 2014 bikes? If not, when was the issue corrected for good? I'll buy a new '13 or '14, and want to know if this is still an issue. Although I have to say a quick shot of silicone spray every few months could eliminate that issue, no? But that harness has the extra feature of functioning like a theft-deterrent device. Hope I don't have to buy either product (Kipass bypass and LFW harness), but I will if still a problem. Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
I now (12 Apr 2015) have some of these in stock again.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
Was the Kipass issue resolved in the 2014 C14?

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
Not judging by some of my customers situations. Apparently, the beat goes on....

The only thing Kawasaki did to address this problem that I am aware of is to install a stiffer (Easy Boys!) spring in the activation switch somewhere back around 2011 or 2012. It did reduce the incidence of the problems but did not eliminate them unfortunately. Reducing the number of occurrences is a good thing but does not do a rider much good if it is he / she that is stuck; there is little comfort in knowing you are now in a small group of people who will be stranded.

Brian

Was the Kipass issue resolved in the 2014 C14?

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
Great- glad that it saved you a tow. You can actually finish your vacation still using the bike- leave the top cover off and unplug / reconnect that connector whenever you need to start the bike. It is a pain but at least you will not have to abandon your trip.

Brian

My bike acted up a couple of days ago but I thought it timed me out because I just pushed the switch too many times without starting it right away. Today it happened twice & now it did it again. I kept hitting/ tapping the key & it unlocked once but stuck again. I'll try the tricks you listed.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2015, 04:39:52 AM »
What year bike?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2015, 04:48:32 AM »
My bike acted up a couple of days ago but I thought it timed me out because I just pushed the switch too many times without starting it right away. Today it happened twice & now it did it again. I kept hitting/ tapping the key & it unlocked once but stuck again. I'll try the tricks you listed.

You can also press the stoveknob down all the way and then let your finger slide off to the side, thus allowing the knob to spring back up with a pop. Some have had luck in unsticking the switch this way.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
What year bike?
Appears to be a '13 going by this pic?
Quote from: picture from speedracersworld seat for sale post

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
I have this mod plus a hammer.  One can't be too careful.  Also never wash it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2015, 07:07:47 AM »
I have this mod plus a hammer.  One can't be too careful.  Also never wash it.

You never wash your hammer?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »
I think what the man may or may not do with his hammer is rather private. At least I do not want to know anymore about it.....

Brian

You never wash your hammer?    ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2015, 05:28:12 AM »
Ah, forum Twits.  It makes life worth living... :finger_fing11:

Offline charliespain

• CARPE DIEM
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »
Hi Brian.¡
Can you indicate the installation?
Is it easy to install?
Could you put on the web explanatory pdf documents on the installation.
tell me the shipping to Spain
Thank you

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
Hey charlie...how you been? Good to hear from you.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2015, 09:08:10 PM »
What year bike?

Sorry, mine is an 08. That seat picture was the one whos seat I bought ;)
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2015, 05:26:53 AM »
Opps- missed this post, sorry.

Complete instructions come with the harness. Basically, you have to remove the top / left fairing cover, unplug a connector and then plug in the new harness into the connectors on the bike; very easy to do.

Shipping to Spain is expensive: last time I checked, it was $27 to Europe! (my cost- I do not mark up shipping). The good news is that for the same shipping price, you can get both the KiPass activation switch bypass and the low fuel warning indicator in the same box. But unfortunately, it is still expensive for us to ship outside the US.

Brian

Hi Brian.¡
Can you indicate the installation?
Is it easy to install?
Could you put on the web explanatory pdf documents on the installation.
tell me the shipping to Spain
Thank you

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
Question regarding care and feeding of the stoveknob and its scurrilous spring -- will using a lockset lubricant keep things more or less springy?

Apologies if this bit of info is covered somewhere else -- if it's in the owner's manual, I missed it.

I don't have problems with my C14 yet (only 500 miles on it so far), but as I routinely remove the stoveknob when I park it, condensation can get down inside of the lockset I would think, creating the expected corrosion...

2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »
Lets try to keep this thread 'pure' for it's intended purpose which is ordering and questions about the BYPASS Mod itself.  As far as questions on lubing the switch assembly go ahead and create a new thread on that.  Thanks.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
10 Nov. 2015: I have some of these back in stock finally. I tried to contact all who had contacted me about purchasing one but if I missed anyone, I apologize and it was not on purpose.

Brian

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »
I have this mod and haven't needed it, yet. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,