Author Topic: Filed under 'Unclear on the concept".....  (Read 2776 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Filed under 'Unclear on the concept".....
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
Beyond my understanding.... 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/26/florida-police-fatally-shoot-woman-threatening-suicide.html

Florida police fatally shoot woman threatening suicide
Published August 26, 2017
Associated Press
Authorities say a Florida police SWAT team shot and killed an armed woman who had been threatening suicide.
The Broward County Sheriff's Office says a Sunrise Police SWAT team went to an apartment Friday where an armed woman had
barricaded herself inside and was threatening to kill herself.
Sheriff's spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright said in a press release Saturday the woman stopped communicating with officers, so
the SWAT team entered the apartment. She says the officers encountered the woman and shots were fired. She died at the scene.
No officers were hurt.
The woman's name has not been released. The Sunrise Police and Broward Sheriff's Office did not immediately respond to phone
and email requests for immediate comment.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Filed under 'Unclear on the concept".....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
Not much info. there to really make any kind of opinion I think. A lot would depend on whether or not she was alone, had kids in the house, etc.

Once the LEO's enter the house of an armed person, it really only has two ways to go I think; the person of interest surrenders or is physically disabled almost certainly using a firearm(s). So the questions in this case would really be about what prompted them to enter in the first place but again, not any info. about why that might have been done.

Brian

Beyond my understanding.... 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/26/florida-police-fatally-shoot-woman-threatening-suicide.html

Florida police fatally shoot woman threatening suicide
Published August 26, 2017
Associated Press
Authorities say a Florida police SWAT team shot and killed an armed woman who had been threatening suicide.
The Broward County Sheriff's Office says a Sunrise Police SWAT team went to an apartment Friday where an armed woman had
barricaded herself inside and was threatening to kill herself.
Sheriff's spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright said in a press release Saturday the woman stopped communicating with officers, so
the SWAT team entered the apartment. She says the officers encountered the woman and shots were fired. She died at the scene.
No officers were hurt.
The woman's name has not been released. The Sunrise Police and Broward Sheriff's Office did not immediately respond to phone
and email requests for immediate comment.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
All info at this time says she was home alone. Seems to me the Swat team was late for supper or something and forced the escalation. Probably never know since we'll only hear one set of facts.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
She probably just wanted to make sure she died

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_cop
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
I only read the article at the link you posted and did not see anything about her being alone or not, and I have not looked for anymore information. It does say 'shots were fired', and I  will say that of course, if she shot at one or more LEOs, it was bound to go that way. Also, nothing in the article about how long it went on, it could have been a 12 hour stand-off. The article did mention that it happened in an apartment rather than a private (individual) home so no doubt the neighbors were of concern; I have no idea how long something like an entire apartment building should be cleared of residents while the authorities negotiate with an individual in circumstances such as this. A day? A week? 10 hours?

In my mind we just do not know enough to make any kind of call or even lean in any direction regarding who may have acted properly or not. But this is why we have the systems in place that we do regarding an investigation, evidence gathering and review, etc. Now as far as the implied cover- up, well that is a very different matter and again I would not jump to that conclusion unless again, there was evidence of that happening either for the current incident or some history of it in the recent past, and I mean a chain of it, not one incident 14 years ago, for example.

Not saying you are not right, just that I am not able to form any opinion without a lot more information.

We had a barricaded, stand-off in this area last year; it lasted 36 hours and ended with the man being taken into custody. Certainly the LEOs did not overact in that case, acted properly as far as I know and gained the best possible outcome given the situation. http://turnto10.com/news/local/police-continue-standoff-at-coventry-home

Brian

All info at this time says she was home alone. Seems to me the Swat team was late for supper or something and forced the escalation. Probably never know since we'll only hear one set of facts.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
A lot of people use the "suicide by police" method. They just don't want to live and yet can't end it on their own and so it goes, I guess.
Too bad, often a last ditch effort for needed help/attention.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 02:32:45 PM »
A lot of people use the "suicide by police" method. They just don't want to live and yet can't end it on their own and so it goes, I guess.
Too bad, often a last ditch effort for needed help/attention.

It is too bad.  What they need is medical help- often just some simple, cheap, and plentiful anti-depressants could help turn it all around.  There are a surprising number of suicides in the USA; but I found out recently that we still have quite a low rate. (#48)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate  of note, lower than Belgium, Hungary, Japan, Korea, Russia, India, Sweden; and not much higher than other places in Europe.  http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/535557fc6bb3f78245a35752-1200-500/world%20suicide%20rates%20with%20india%20map.png

It is also too bad that the anti-gun rights people will lump gun-related suicides into their "gun violence" statistics (along with those actually defending themselves from criminals)... despite having, by far, the highest gun ownership rate in the world, but that is another matter entirely.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
Another similar irony:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/australian-woman-shot-dead-minneapolis-police-officers-after-calling-911-n783581

Sorta.  In that case we know absolutely nothing at all.  The story says nothing about what happened- why 911 was called, what dispatch was told, who was there, what the officer did (other than shoot her), if there were any witnesses, nothing except that there was no body cam or car video/audio.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »
Sorta.  In that case we know absolutely nothing at all.  The story says nothing about what happened- why 911 was called, what dispatch was told, who was there, what the officer did (other than shoot her), if there were any witnesses, nothing except that there was no body cam or car video/audio.

Actually, there is quite a bit more to this story than what is told there. It was very big news in MN and will no doubt be news again after the "official" report is released.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
Actually, there is quite a bit more to this story than what is told there.

I should hope so.  The article presented isn't much of anything.  When searching, I found a bunch of misc nothing until I hit, of all places, this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

Damond called 9-1-1 twice eight minutes apart late in the evening on the day of the shooting, reporting that she thought she heard a woman either having sex or being raped.[17] Officers searched the area and found no suspects or signs of the suspected rape that had prompted Damond's telephone calls to 9-1-1.[18] According to the account by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is investigating the shooting, the officers were driving through an alley, the lights on their squad car off, looking for an assault suspect. “Officer Harrity indicated that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad,” the statement said. Immediately afterward, Ms. Damond “approached the driver’s side window of the squad car. Harrity indicated that Officer Noor discharged his weapon,” striking her through the open driver's-side window.[19] There have been conflicting reports concerning how many times Damond was shot. Some sources have claimed Noor fired a single shot,[20] while it has also been reported that Damond was shot multiple times.[21] The officers attempted CPR to no avail; Damond died 20 minutes later.[22]

Both officers had their body cameras switched off.[23] Minneapolis introduced police body cameras in 2016, but their activation is not mandatory in all situations.[24] According to MPD protocol, officers are required to activate body cameras for "all citizen contact".

Investigators were looking for an unidentified witness, a bicyclist, who stopped nearby while the officers were administering CPR. [25] They subsequently located and interviewed the bicyclist. While officials have not confirmed nor denied it, it has been reported that this witness recorded at least some portion of the incident.[22]

So it appears from that, the officer IN A CAR was startled and just shot her!

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »
I should hope so.  The article presented isn't much of anything.  When searching, I found a bunch of misc nothing until I hit, of all places, this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

Damond called 9-1-1 twice eight minutes apart late in the evening on the day of the shooting, reporting that she thought she heard a woman either having sex or being raped.[17] Officers searched the area and found no suspects or signs of the suspected rape that had prompted Damond's telephone calls to 9-1-1.[18] According to the account by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is investigating the shooting, the officers were driving through an alley, the lights on their squad car off, looking for an assault suspect. “Officer Harrity indicated that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad,” the statement said. Immediately afterward, Ms. Damond “approached the driver’s side window of the squad car. Harrity indicated that Officer Noor discharged his weapon,” striking her through the open driver's-side window.[19] There have been conflicting reports concerning how many times Damond was shot. Some sources have claimed Noor fired a single shot,[20] while it has also been reported that Damond was shot multiple times.[21] The officers attempted CPR to no avail; Damond died 20 minutes later.[22]

Both officers had their body cameras switched off.[23] Minneapolis introduced police body cameras in 2016, but their activation is not mandatory in all situations.[24] According to MPD protocol, officers are required to activate body cameras for "all citizen contact".

Investigators were looking for an unidentified witness, a bicyclist, who stopped nearby while the officers were administering CPR. [25] They subsequently located and interviewed the bicyclist. While officials have not confirmed nor denied it, it has been reported that this witness recorded at least some portion of the incident.[22]

So it appears from that, the officer IN A CAR was startled and just shot her!

Yes, perhaps maybe sort of.
But one of the many things that astonishes me a lot about this tragic "incident" is that the woman walked up to the driver's side of the squad car and the "officer" that shot her was in the passenger seat. If I was the driver/partner officer I think the shooter would have woke up with a very large contusion on the back of his head for discharging a weapon almost across his nose.
Lack of training, skill and apparently more adrenaline than sense were at work here.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:38:17 PM by jettawreck »

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:33:05 PM »
Update to the last story in this post. Officer Noor has been arrested and charged with 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter. He has not been released on bail as of yet.
Right, wrong or otherwise it seems the wheels of "justice" (or at least investigation) move very slowly.