Author Topic: Potentially picking up an DR250 enduro this weekend - any comments?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
I've been tossing around the idea of picking up an enduro to play on the logging trails north of Green Bay and I stumbled across this one: http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/2587641264.html

$700 seems reasonable.  I contacted the guy and he says it has a clean title (needed to run logging trails in WI since they are technically roads) and runs good, just needs a few minor things and probably tires.  Anyone have any experience with these and know what I should be looking out for?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
Re: Potentially picking up an DR250 enduro this weekend - any comments?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »
I kinda like the DRs.  Cousin had one, we rode the heck out of it.  If it runs and doesn't need a bunch of work, it seems like a good price.  It would be too small for me (not exactly in fightin trim anymore).  But, if you're sub 180 lbs I would seriously consider it.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
I put  a lot of offroad miles on my dr250.  Its  a good bike, btu not quite as nice as the dr 250. Its the same size, and weight, but less power.  Suspension is fine, but soft for fast work  TONS of hop ups available for these.  Many old  rm parts will switch over and bolt right on.

The oil level is tough to check as it takes a special procedure. Most people overfill them.

This guy can tell you more about the dr bikes than you ever cared to know. He knows the 250 350, and 650 inside out..and then some.
http://www.kientech.com/

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I am 6'2" ~ 190lbs so hopefully this bike won't be too small for me.  I am hesitant about getting a 650 because  I didn't want too much bike for what is probably going to be used only a handful of times a year.  I'm going to try to meet up with this guy this weekend if he still has it and take it for a spin. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »
I had a DR650 for the last several years, and I now just got a Yamaha WR250R..........I think I am gonna love this bike! Doesn't look or run like a 250, but the weight and handling difference is night and day. Enjoy that new DR, I am sure you will do some fun exploring with it.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »
I had the very same DR250. It only had a kick-start, and I removed the compression release. It ran well, got 60 mpg, doing 60-70 mph. Great around dirt and trails, but we mostly rode in the street. I sold it to a friend who says it needs a new chain @ 15k. Get better bark busters, OEM slide back and bump your knuckles. Some Yamaha ring-free and clean air filter helps also. I  did a dyno-jet kit and liked it but never 'loved' it. Maybe just add a washer under the needle.
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 04:15:01 PM »
I love my DR650. Got enough engine to go anywhere on any road but also has enough off road capability to ride all Forest Service roads here in Colorado. It's my 2 wheeled jeep.