Author Topic: Brake light / Driving light question - ANSWERED (Use new bulbs to test)  (Read 12125 times)

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
Hello,

When I put the bike away earlier this year, I noticed that the left side rear light was not working. 

However, the brake light function works fine.  I had added the brake light interruptor in 2010 that has been working well.  Now that winter has set in, I am trying to work on repairs/updates while the weather has been so mild here in WI.

I have attached a few pictures of what I have to look at. 

I have taken the bulbs out and switched them back and forth.  The results are the same.

I would like to use LED bulbs instead but first I need to find/fix this issue with the left socket. Someone wrote that the interruptor won't work with LEDs. 

Any worthwhile help will get me to Arkansas for COG 2012 where I will compensate you appropriately.  :)

Starting look:

Wiring inside:

Flasher unit:

Wiring again:

Harness wires:

Video of operation:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pZ1JzZQ48SXozznr5r5Qgp4UFwuSecWVTI3rJXHGAYc?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:22:19 PM by ManWorkinghere »
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline jklhill

Re: Brake light / Driving light question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
Hello, Man;

Your video indicates that both brake and running lights are fine on the right side. I could not tell from the video if your license plate light is working but I will assume it is. You have brake lights on the left side but no running light. I'll take a guess the contact for the running lights in the left socket is corroded or otherwise damaged. Either that or you have a broken wire between that socket and the 3-wire plug (black, red, and black w/yellow). Start by inspecting the contacts. HTH.

Larry

Almost forgot. These are the LED brake lights I used http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F115x-x3X1W.htm#photos. And yes, the Signal Dynamics website says that the standard BackOff module MAY not work with LED's.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »
I'll take a guess the contact for the running lights in the left socket is corroded or otherwise damaged. Either that or you have a broken wire between that socket and the 3-wire plug (black, red, and black w/yellow).
Yup, that is whats wrong. Brakes lights are fine. Your missing  12 volts to the driving light on the left. Get your meter out and find out why. Probably  corroded contact.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline cmoore

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:55 AM »
I tried the Back Off unit on my Connie about 5 years ago. It lasted about two months and quit working all together. At first I thought I had a wiring issue but when I took the Back Off unit off everything started working again. I threw mine away and got some Hyper Lights. They have worked perfect.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:25 AM »
I tried the Back Off unit on my Connie about 5 years ago. It lasted about two months and quit working all together. At first I thought I had a wiring issue but when I took the Back Off unit off everything started working again.
My Back-Off has worked fine for several years.  Though it is wired to a set of LEDs, instead of the stock brake light.  (Which has been replaced with 1157 LED bulbs.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline jklhill

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »
I tried the Back Off unit on my Connie about 5 years ago. It lasted about two months and quit working all together. At first I thought I had a wiring issue but when I took the Back Off unit off everything started working again. I threw mine away and got some Hyper Lights. They have worked perfect.

I have had my BackOff XP for at least 4 years now and it is till going strong.

Offline ManWorkinghere

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:20:22 AM »
My Back-Off has worked fine for several years.  Though it is wired to a set of LEDs, instead of the stock brake light.  (Which has been replaced with 1157 LED bulbs.)
Thanks for the replies everyone.

D.M., do I understand you to say that the multimeter should read +12V across the connections in the socket?

O.J., where did you obtain your 1157's?  I'd like to try them out once I have this socket issue fixed.

Signed,
MNH

Offline jklhill

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:35:29 PM »
Man;
The socket is the ground. One contact is for the running lights and should have 12v between the socket and that pin when your running lights are on. The other contact is for the brake lights and should have 12v between the socket and that pin when the brakes are applied. HTH.

Larry

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
O.J., where did you obtain your 1157's?  I'd like to try them out once I have this socket issue fixed.

www.superbrightleds.com  I used the 115x-x24 bulbs on this page.  They have 18 bulbs pointed straight and 6 pointed out to fill the reflector in the brake light housing.  They ain't cheap at $7.49 each, but I've had them in there for 6 seasons with no problems.  Worth the extra $$ over buying cheap one.

They have some other awesome bulbs on that page, too.  You might want to browse a bit and try different ones than I did.  The tech has moved forward quite a bit in those last 6 years.  The ones I got are comparable brightness to stock bulbs, but there are plenty available now that are brighter.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
If there is one thing I've learned about automotive lights over thirty years of farm equipment is CHECK THE GROUND.  99% of lighting problems are in the ground portion of the circuit.  If that socket is the ground it is probably where the socket grounds to the frame.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline jklhill

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
If there is one thing I've learned about automotive lights over thirty years of farm equipment is CHECK THE GROUND.  99% of lighting problems are in the ground portion of the circuit.  If that socket is the ground it is probably where the socket grounds to the frame.

I would agree except the brake light is working and it shares the same ground. I'll stick with my original diagnosis that the running light terminal is either damaged or corroded. If it is not then there is a broken wire between the terminal and the 3 wire plug.

Offline ManWorkinghere

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »
:stupid: er, I mean  :iagree: :)
I offer myself up as per RangerJim's signoff: "No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example."

Using two good replacement bulbs fixed my issue.  Not a socket issue at all because I used a bad bulb each time I checked sockets. The bad bulb worked on high but not low once compared with good bulbs.  Last night I went to AutoZone and bought 1157 bulbs for $5 and 1157R bulbs in red LED for $17.  What a difference using good bulbs makes!  ;D

And I do have cell phone video that shows the LED lights blinking so I know that the BackOff device works with them too. 

Offline jklhill

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »
I have taken the bulbs out and switched them back and forth.
 :banghead:

Offline jklhill

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
Glad you got it sorted, Man.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
Awhile back, I bought some LED bulbs, maybe 6 years ago, maybe the technology has changed since then but they were really DIM and you really could not see them unless you were DIRECTLY in back of the bike, I took them out and used the old fashoined bulbs since then. Not sure whats out there today.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
I offer myself up as per RangerJim's signoff: "No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example."

Using two good replacement bulbs fixed my issue.  Not a socket issue at all because I used a bad bulb each time I checked sockets. The bad bulb worked on high but not low once compared with good bulbs.  Last night I went to AutoZone and bought 1157 bulbs for $5 and 1157R bulbs in red LED for $17.  What a difference using good bulbs makes!  ;D

And I do have cell phone video that shows the LED lights blinking so I know that the BackOff device works with them too. 

My local auto store sells 1157 bulbs for $.83 each and Napa at $.99 each.  I almost choked when I saw 1157 bulbs at AutoZone for $2.50 each. You won't see me at AutoZone ever again !! ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »
Awhile back, I bought some LED bulbs, maybe 6 years ago, maybe the technology has changed since then but they were really DIM
Yes, the technology has VASTLY improved in the last few years.  And it matters the type and quality of the LED you buy.  The taillights in my 06 are LEDs, purchased in 06, and they are exactly as bright as the standard bulbs they replaced.  And you can see them from an angle, too.  One of these days, I'll have a few extra bucks and I'll upgrade to a newer set of brighter LEDs, but since I have additional brake lights, it's not top of my list.

I have a good LED replacement bulb in my 3-D-cell Maglite.  It's brighter than the stock bulb, and projects just as well/far as stock.  And I can still focus the beam like the standard bulb.