Author Topic: Idle mixture adjustment tool  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Furbo

• Arena
Idle mixture adjustment tool
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »
Ok, I tried a homeamade gig with a screwdriver attached to a quarter...hands got hot, and it rested beneath the alternator for some years. Is there a tool for this? A small right angle screwdriver?
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Idle mixture adjustment tool
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:26:07 PM »
Hey MOB, where is he idle screw? Never messed with this myself. I know the black idle knob on the side, the screws on the top to sync the carbs. Are the idle screws underneath each carb, next to the carb bowl deep inside a shaft that hangs down?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:30 PM »
Hey MOB, where is he idle screw? Never messed with this myself. I know the black idle knob on the side, the screws on the top to sync the carbs. Are the idle screws underneath each carb, next to the carb bowl deep inside a shaft that hangs down?

Mixture screws reside on each carb, bottom front, in a recess...
Dig up my concourier article on carbs, it has pictures, iirc..

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:37:09 AM »
I bought a little tiny stubby 2-pack of screwdrivers from Walmart that work perfectly before the engine becomes red hot.  I put marks on them with a Sharpie so I could index them.  For some reason I just couldn't get it right with the short ratchet screwdriver.  Also beware - some of the fancy long-handles screwdrivers have a blade that is too short or too wide to work correctly.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Why and how often do we have to mess with these screws?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »
Rarely, if ever for a lot of people.  Mainly after you rebuild the carbs (if you think you need to).

Otherwise, I think a few people have tweaked them when riding out west into the Rockies at high elevations.  But a few discovered that blocking the air box a little (up to one of the intake holes) accomplished the same thing.  Then just remove it at lower (normal for us east coasters) elevations.

But a few discovered that removing the air box cover to add more available air accomplished the same thing.  Then just replace it at lower (normal for us east coasters) elevations.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:31:26 AM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »
RFH, I think you have it backwards...??
Up in the mountains, you need more air, not less?

Long ago I made my first ride to Colorado. Bike was definitely down in power.
I compensated by removing the cover from the air box. Seemed to help.

Later I installed Steve's 2 minute jett Kit.
Down here in Houston, about 3/4 of one of the airbox ports is covered with foam...
When in the mountains, I assume I would remove some of the foam...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
I do believe you are right.  Getting old sucks.  I fixed it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
I do believe you are right.  Getting old sucks.  I fixed it.

You fixed the bike or getting old? If you fixed getting old, please share the secret  ;)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
I bought a little tiny stubby 2-pack of screwdrivers from Walmart that work perfectly before the engine becomes red hot.  I put marks on them with a Sharpie so I could index them.  For some reason I just couldn't get it right with the short ratchet screwdriver.  Also beware - some of the fancy long-handles screwdrivers have a blade that is too short or too wide to work correctly.

I also swear by those stubby screwdrivers, I keep a set onboard at all times...
You do have to be quick when using them, or you roast your hand, but if you fold a piece of cardboard, and slip it in below and in front of the carbs, it works well to prevent hot fingers and burns....

As for messing with them, I've never found it necessary to do, if I built the carbs from scratch myself, as I make sure they are all equal from the start,
I do 2 turns out from seated when using OEM needles, and 2-1/2 to 3 turns out when using K&L rebuild kit needles... they are tapered slightly different...

Trying to use the wratcheting screwdrivers is really a pain, because when doing this you are basically turning the needle back and forth, and listening for a change and that simply can't be acomplished with a wratcheted tool easily and rapidly... most people trying to "adjust" them while running totally mess them up as far as being even, and never realize it.

I built Lobo McClurg's carbs attt the '07 nationals, and when I was done, told him to hit the starter.. it fired right up first rotation, purred like a kitten, and when we put the vacume synch tool on they were soooo perfect I couldn't touch a synch screw without throwing them off... mind you that was because I carefully preadjusted all the throttle plates during assembly.. ( that part has nothing to do with the air mixture screws, just saying.)
The 28 yr old Kawasaki truck "tech" that happened to be onsite, insisted he could "adjust them" better and wanted to mess with the mixture screws, I handed him my stubby driver, looked right at him, and told him anything from this point on you are responsible for.... I did the job right...
Well, he "attempted" to tweak them all back and forth, and never made it better, it actually sounded worse....   on top of that, he had to twist the idle knob a full turn to make it "idle"... @ 1100 rpm
Larry Buck was watching him, and kept looking over at me....all I could do was laugh... and give the kid angry looks till he was "finished"...

After everyone left and went to the banquet, and the bike was cooled down, I went over and checked and re set them all to what I had done when I built them...
The "tech" had them at   1-1/4. 3.  1.   And  3-1/4 turns from seated....

When I returned them to my liking, I turned the idle knob back down...  so it wasn't idling at almost 2k

Fuel efficiency... bah....

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »
You fixed the bike or getting old? If you fixed getting old, please share the secret  ;)

Fixed the text only.  I'm still getting old (only 53 in May, I was trying to make Ted feel good) but the bike is running good - if I just leave it alone.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 10:55:36 PM »
Fixed the text only.  I'm still getting old (only 53 in May, I was trying to make Ted feel good) but the bike is running good - if I just leave it alone.

Getting old is a good thing!!!  Better than the alternative.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 03:29:52 AM »
not always

Offline ldog

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »
I don't post much and this is probably considered necromancy, but I really wanted to share this little tool that helped me out.

I read above about MOB's recommendations but I couldn't get my fat hands to work well for the number 2 carb - too little clearance for me. So I looked around a bit and found this little jewel - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716NW8DV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  - I would NOT recommend it for it's intended purpose, but it works great for a hand tool. Put any size apex bit in it and stick a cheap little thumbwheel 'drive' on it and viola!

Very good feel (like when the straight blade hits the groove) and flexibility (use whatever apex driver trips your trigger) make this a must have (for a setting that shouldn't need to be adjusted, if you don't forget to do it on the bench  :o ).

Brent C. in TN
'88 Connie - soon to be for sale
2012 Connie - new to me and a work in progress :-)