Author Topic: Suggestions for a Throttle lock?  (Read 7229 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Suggestions for a Throttle lock?
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
Anyone use a Throttle Lock, like Vista Cruise or Kuryakyn's model?  I've had the Universal Vista in the past and was very pleased with it. Any issues with the heated grips on the Connie?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks folks!  :)
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Suggestions for a Throttle lock?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Vista Cruise won't really work.  Simply not gonna fit right (been there, tried that).

Omni-Cruise is a good throttle lock, I bought one and it works fine,  I just don't use it much:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12372.0

Throttlemiester is expensive, integrated, nice looking, and popular, although strange to operate:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9441.0  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1098.msg14490

And some people just use an "O" ring as a throttle lock, believe it or not:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20999  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11539.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:34:26 AM »
I have the Vista Cruise on mine.
Works great and inexpensive.

To keep it from rotating, I built a small bracket that mounts between the cables {to hold the foot of the Vista}.
Recently harry martin installed one and came up with a simpler way to keep it from rotating.
I'll send this discussion to him. Maybe he'll tell us how he did it?

NOTE: I have the heated grips on mine.. Took a little trimming, but worked out fine.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Harry

• Pass the duct tape please...
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »
Yup. Did mine similar to Ted's.

Difference between mine and Ted's is that I used the included hardware.
Trimmed off some plastic and drilled a hole in the plastic stopper and used a paper clip to lock it all down.
This way, you don't have to trim up the grip.

Only real caution is to get the rubber grip back just a hair without damaging the heater.
I used WD-40 sprayed between grip and rubber to loosen up the grip goo.
I used a small bladed screw driver to gently work the rubber grip free.
When done my way, the locking lever is at your thumb where it is very easy to lock/unlock as needed.

Makes a world of difference on long rides.

I'll dig up some pictures.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY   *1986 Vintage C10 "Silverdammit" * - *2015 C14 "Greendammit"*

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
I started by studying the problem and being a cheap frugal tight wad that I am, I chose to use the Vista Cruise.
Here is the main hardware. I cut and filed off the 90 degree excess plastic. This stuff gets in the way. The C14 throttle grip is a tight arrangement to stuff. The narrower you can get the hardware, the less you need top push out the rubber grip.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY   *1986 Vintage C10 "Silverdammit" * - *2015 C14 "Greendammit"*

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »
Then, I drilled a hole to add a paper clip.

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »
I used sand paper to remove excess plastic so that the rubber could more easily slide (twist) along the inner surface of the hardware.

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
Then I assembled everthing together and wired the tab into place.

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 10:56:57 AM »
Here is the completed assembly. The rubber grip is pushed outward slightly and hits the bar weight.
To loosen it up a bit more, I added a lock washer to the bar weight to give it a tad bit more clearance.

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
So here is Ted's hardware. I tried the exact same setup but quickly discovered that the hardware is not very flush. All the extra hardware pushes the rubber grip out enough so that you have to cut the grip to make room for everything. I didn't want to do that.

So I went back in and filed down the brackets as flush as i could get them.
It all fits snug but not too snug. The throttle grip will snap back when released and it stays put when locked down.
The thumb lever is exactly where it needs to be for quick operation.

So, it just goes to show that there is many ways to skin a cat. Ya just have to think it out before getting started.
Sometimes, ya just have to think outta the box.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »
I wasn't able to get the Vista throttle lock to mount without/fit it looking like it would be necessary to permanently alter the bike (which, at the time, was rather new), so I gave up.  I did like the Vista, I had it on my previous bike- it was simple, effective, and easy to use.  Perhaps I gave up too easily :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what Harry means about my hardware pushing the Twist Grip outward?
I cut a piece of aluminum in the shape of a Cross, and folded the 3 ends up to form a pocket (that the Vista Cruise pin sets in).
I then drilled a hole that the existing throttle cable screw fits thru...
  On mine, the pin is loose in the pocket, not pushed anywhere?

Perhaps Harry misunderstood my directions.. (again)    {evil grin}   :yikes:

Regardless, ya'll can see that with a little bit of work, the Vista Cruise can be made to work.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I ain't sayin' Harry's design won't work.
        In fact, it works fine..
           Just not as good as mine...   :rotflmao:

Offline eng943

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »
I have tried several throttle locks. Honestly, they all were disappointing. I am going all in and buying an MC Cruise this time around. Having had bikes with electronic CC, it's that or bust from now on.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »
I appreciate the feedback...but I'm still on the fence. ???

I like the action of the Vista, but I'm not sure about how that all plays in with the heated grip wire.  Gotta give it some more thought...

Thanks Fellas. 
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »
From what I see, there is no interference with the heater wire. It stays neatly tucked out of the way.
I'm sure Ted would agree. <but Ted agrees with most anything I have to say, being so weak minded smart.>

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »
Harry, I don't agree with anything you say.
I just tolerate your idea's....

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:18:00 AM by connie_rider »

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 11:11:03 AM »
I prefer the Throttlemeister. I know you weren't looking at it, but it is well made and it works well. It won't interfere with the heated grips.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »
I appreciate the feedback...but I'm still on the fence. ???

I like the action of the Vista, but I'm not sure about how that all plays in with the heated grip wire.  Gotta give it some more thought...

Thanks Fellas.

Had this basic Vista cruise on my 2010. Fabricated my own bracket to keep it in place. I carefully used a shim to loosen the grip and slide it out about 3/8 inch. No interference with the heated grip wires. Worked great. Even after I installed a Rostra, I still used it occasionally when I wanted to quickly use my right hand.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »
Another fan of the Throttlemeister here. It just works. And no goofy looking crap on the bar.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Pilotct

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »
Kaoko has worked well for me - not cheap but looks stock.  Very easy to use one-handed.