Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672884 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3200 on: June 07, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
Yep..   And I got found at an Indian Dealership.  Probably the best experience I've ever had buying a motorcycle. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3201 on: June 07, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »
Did they have a bone stimulator there? We know it could not have been the bike......

;D ;)

Brian

Yep..   And I got found at an Indian Dealership.  Probably the best experience I've ever had buying a motorcycle.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3202 on: June 07, 2018, 05:58:54 PM »
And now it is not just the entire human race that has had its' 'cheese slide off its' cracker' a bit: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/07/bison-gores-california-woman-at-yellowstone-national-park-officials-say.html

Now the animals are going over to the dark, inexplicably out- of- control side too. I am starting to think it is something in the solar wind or we have passed through a comets' tail or something. Sheesh!

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3203 on: June 07, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
“The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly flat dishwatery utterances of a man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States.”
-Chicago Times, editorial.

It was written in response to The Gettysburg Address, given some days earlier, by A. Lincoln.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3204 on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:11 PM »
Did they have a bone stimulator there? We know it could not have been the bike......

;D ;)

Brian

Have you ever been in an Indian only dealer?  Quite a few bone simulators in stock and ready to go.  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3205 on: June 08, 2018, 05:08:28 AM »
I find it quite interesting that when your phone goes missing all heck breaks loose.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3206 on: June 08, 2018, 07:30:12 AM »
I find it quite interesting that when your phone goes missing all heck breaks loose.

Something I did without for the majority of my life now is a 3 alarm full panic when it goes missing. How did that happen? "Find my iPhone" is the best app on the thing.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3207 on: June 08, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »
Because the 'new' becomes the 'norm' is the proverbial blink of an eye. We are old enough to remember when the 'remote control' was getting up and turning the channel dial or the volume knob. Now, if a remote has dead batteries or we lose one (we all have more than one, right?) it is an apocalypse and life stops until it is fixed. I cannot imagine walking WAY over to my TV and making any changes adjustments at all- it would be more horrible than death and besides, I do not think any of my TV's are controllable from the actual TV anyway.

So I hear you with the cell phone: for decades, we drove around without them and were perfectly fine. Now if we go somewhere and actually forget the phone, the shock is tremendous and it is like being in public without any clothes. Plus all the things one might need a cell phone for run through the mind at light- speed, entirely forgetting we used to cross the country without one at all.

The same is unfortunately true for negative things as well; we become accustomed to such bad behavior from our species that that too is shrugged off and in some cases, we even have thoughts that 'gee, that was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be". I remember reading about someone plowing into a crowd of people, with a car of course, at really pretty high speed. The first thing that struck me while reading the article was that only one person was killed (though many were injured). The second thought was that the first thought was amazing! I have been so conditioned to truly amazing feats of bad, excessive behavior that I am not unconsciously judging them by the damage they cause vs. what I would have thought and found myself surprise that "only one" person was killed in the idiotic event. A couple of decades ago, I would have been amazed that anyone would even do that.

Brian

Something I did without for the majority of my life now is a 3 alarm full panic when it goes missing. How did that happen? "Find my iPhone" is the best app on the thing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3208 on: June 09, 2018, 05:39:42 AM »

Perfect storm..  low battery and it died before I knew it was missing.  I was a passenger in my wife's car (coming back from our favorite eating place in Fredericksburg, had the phone on my knee and in a corner it slid off and went under the seat and I promptly forgot where it was.   Looked all over the house and couldn't find it.  Was talking with a client the day after and she mentioned the word 'seats' and it instantly came back where it had gone.  Amazing how that trigger word worked.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3209 on: June 09, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »

Perfect storm..  low battery and it died before I knew it was missing.  I was a passenger in my wife's car (coming back from our favorite eating place in Fredericksburg, had the phone on my knee and in a corner it slid off and went under the seat and I promptly forgot where it was.   Looked all over the house and couldn't find it.  Was talking with a client the day after and she mentioned the word 'seats' and it instantly came back where it had gone.  Amazing how that trigger word worked.

What ever you do, don't play solitaire! And for God's sake don't look at the Queen of Diamonds playing card!!!    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3210 on: June 09, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
Been doing an experiment lately.... back in Nov., a female kitten walked into my house and would not go away. I would say we adopted her but it was the other way around. Anyway, she is about a year old now, full grown and generating a surprisingly amount of....., er, 'product' in the litter box.

Now where I live, we have two 'garbage' containers, one for <real> garbage, and one for recycle. Normally, we have been putting Phoebe's..... output into the trash container. But a while ago, i started to put it into the recycle container out of curiosity as to whether or not they could recycle that stuff. I expect it to be turned back into cat food.

Has anyone noticed any recycled cat food for sale anywhere? Just wondering if it was working or not, assuming of course that those no good garbage men (or whatever the P.C. term is for those folks) are not stealing it for their own gain.

Brian

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3211 on: June 09, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
so that's why my bottled water tastes like crap lately...argggg...

Kenny started the trend, wayyyy back, it was called 'cheesing'...
I think the garbage men 'refuse collectors' have been distilling the soaked cat litter... and selling raw product on the streets... for people to get high on...

https://youtu.be/muTQthqfn40

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Boobage

Nancy Reagan always said... "just say no..."
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :hitfan:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3212 on: June 09, 2018, 03:00:18 PM »
Normally, we have been putting Phoebe's..... output into the trash container. But a while ago, i started to put it into the recycle container out of curiosity as to whether or not they could recycle that stuff.

Are you serious?  You didn't really put cat litter in the recycle bin...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3213 on: June 09, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »

sure he is...

funny stuff... some pics I stumbled on from 14 years ago...
cats and dog hated the rooster... it ate the catfood... the chicken flavored catfood...
so, the cats lured the rooster... to the fryer pot... viola.. problem solved...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3214 on: June 09, 2018, 05:38:22 PM »
And this is why we need a face-palm emoticon.....

Watson, the point of the story is humor. It does not matter where I put anything (Easy Boys!), it is the concept that is funny. I believe mammals eating and, er, evacuating, is what is called an irreversible process. So the idea of throwing 'droppings' into any part of a recycle loop becomes humorous because 'it just don't work thata- way'. Sort of like you cannot stuff kittens back where they came from and get sperm and eggs as a result. Again, it just don't a-work that way. But amusing when it passes through one's mind.....

And no, I did not put cat litter in the recycle bin, at least not much, just the removed cat leavins'.  ;) ;D

And there are far worse things I can think of to put in a recycle bin than a sealed bag of cat 'leavings'.   :rotflmao:

Brian

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:01:16 PM by B.D.F. »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3215 on: June 09, 2018, 07:59:05 PM »
And speaking of the things that generate cat leavings, I have more of them now. Went out to see the four feral kittens living in my garage and Mama cat moved them yet again but when I found them, I only found Mama and three kittens, not four. But the kittens were scattered so I think I might have interrupted Mama moving them. ?? Anyway, the kittens are just 4 weeks old, we planned on grabbing them tomorrow and bringing them into the house but tonight I found out they can run. So I made the decision and caught them, or two of them anyway, and they are now in my laundry room. The third ran behind some stored wood where I could not get to it and I have not seen the fourth. I will go out there several times tomorrow and see if I can round up the other one, or hopefully, two kittens. The two I have are not interested in kitten kibble (soaked in water to make it 'mush') so we might have to go out and get a bottle and formula or one of us will have to get a set of breasts working (again in my wife's case, mine have never been used). Probably the bottle I suppose....

I am fairly large (6'2", 240+) and it was all I could do to hang onto that second kitten; it spit the whole time I was trying to pick it up, scratched and bit me continuously and jumped out of my hands several time (I caught it mid- air repeatedly) until I finally got the little fella under control. Must be a Tasmanian Devil breed of domestic cat.

The fierce one is the smaller one toward the right.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3217 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:09 AM »
MOB's story above reminds me...

5 years or so ago my wife and I went to visit my oldest son in Tennessee. My son has a very large fenced in backyard and he was keeping chickens back there. I think that he had around 12 chickens. We had our 3 small dogs with us and they had never seen chickens before. My son wanted to see how our dogs would react to the chickens and he wanted me to turn them loose in the backyard and see what happened.

I suggested that we turn the dogs loose one at a time instead. My son has two large dogs and they never bothered the chickens and the chickens were used to the dogs.

Bosco, our mini Dachshund, was first. I thought for sure that she would go after the chickens but all she did was walk over to them and gave 'em a sniff, that was it.

Agnes, half Dachshund half Yorky, was next. She charged the chickens at top speed but when the chickens didn't run or show any fear she lost interest.

Sookie, Agnes' sister, was last. Sookie took one look at the chickens and made a bee line for the largest chicken. She grabbed that chicken by the neck and shook it for all she was worth. The chicken was screaming and feathers were flying everywhere. Sookie was having a BIG time! My son yelled out, "oh no, my chickens!" and ran to his chicken's rescue. I was laughing but ran along and pulled Sookie off of his chicken. The chicken was ok but we had to keep Sookie away from them after that.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3218 on: June 12, 2018, 06:00:33 AM »
Hedy Lamarr, not to be confused with Hedley Lamarr, had an invention that revolutionized communications and here I thought that she was just good to look at.

Her invention (WWII) helped enable Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth.   It all started in WWII and torpedoes not hitting their targets.   She wanted to help and thought that radio guided torpedoes would help the US have a better hit rate than the normal ones which were shoot and forget.  She thought that if you could steer them to their targets using radio frequencies that changed in sync with a receiver in the torpedo could eliminate the enemy being able to jam.  It was kinda like a player piano tape in that the notes changed via the holes.

Eventually her invention got to be used by the military in the 50's and from there, that idea has been applied to current communications today.

She also thought that airplanes were too slow and came up with some designs to fix that.  Howard Hughes thought that she was a genius.

Unfortunately for Hedy, she neither received any money nor recognition for what she came up with until very late in life. The recognition, that is.   She never received any money for those inventions.

Thank you, Hedy.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3219 on: June 12, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »
Unfortunately for Hedy, she neither received any money nor recognition for what she came up with until very late in life. The recognition, that is.   She never received any money for those inventions.

Unfortunately, that seems to happen a lot with innovators and inventors.  Tesla and Touring both immediately come to mind.