Author Topic: Canyon Cages on their way. Any tips for installation?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline captainmarko

• COG# 10462
Canyon Cages on their way. Any tips for installation?
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »
Anything I should know?
Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: Canyon Cages on their way. Any tips for installation?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
Secure a breaker bar, the engine bolts are tight on the bottom.  I used a jack handle.  Use a thread cleaner to remove the red loctite that was installed at the factory, otherwise you may have problems on the re-install. 

Depending on your model, you may want to trim the fairing so that you can remove the plastic body work without having to remove the Canyons.  Instructions and photos are in one of the Canyon threads here.

Offline speed545

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
and dont tighten any bolts until the parts are all together but loose

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
and dont tighten any bolts until the parts are all together but loose
^^^^^ that...and don't loose any of the fairing screws like I did...still haven't found them.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
If you have a 2nd gen C14, get yourself a ratcheting box end wrench for the upper right bolt to the brace. Not certain the size but I think it was 16mm. You can get a socket on it by squeezing the water hose but much easier with a ratcheting box end.

Offline Rasmith

• Lenexa KS
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »
If you have a 2nd gen C14, get yourself a ratcheting box end wrench for the upper right bolt to the brace. Not certain the size but I think it was 16mm. You can get a socket on it by squeezing the water hose but much easier with a ratcheting box end.

16mm is correct. My set went up to 15mm before I saw the room I had to get a socket in there. Still waiting to install mine. Recooperating from ankle surgery. That, the HIDs and motolight installs will keep me occupied once Im on my feet. Silly me to think there wasnt anything else I would want to hang on this bike..
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red
2007 Vulcan Meanstreak 1600

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »

+1

Either that or cut the fairing (as shown in the other threads) so it is possible to wrestle the fairings on AFTER you install the bars.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline danl

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »
I think that ratcheting wrence is a 5/8", though that probably translates to 16mm. My set is all odd numbers so I had to use a standard wrench and a lot of tiny turns due to the limit of the fairing.

I used the original long bolt that runs thru the bottom engine mount, it slides onto the allen wrench you need to get the top mount bolts off perfectly and works as a nice breaker bar.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
I think that ratcheting wrence is a 5/8", though that probably translates to 16mm. My set is all odd numbers so I had to use a standard wrench and a lot of tiny turns due to the limit of the fairing.

You are correct.  It is actually a 5/8", but a 16mm works fine.  And it was a nightmare installing using a standard box-end wrench instead of a ratchet [speed] wrench.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline danl

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:07:29 AM »
You are correct.  It is actually a 5/8", but a 16mm works fine.  And it was a nightmare installing using a standard box-end wrench instead of a ratchet [speed] wrench.

Nightmare is an understatement!

Offline captainmarko

• COG# 10462
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Install and test ride complete.  No problems.  Had to come up with and interesting solution to get that bolt on inside the fairing.  Tight fit.
Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.