Author Topic: Removing Fairing while Canyon Cage is Fitted  (Read 10633 times)

Offline Highett

Removing Fairing while Canyon Cage is Fitted
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »
ZG1400CBF (2011)

I only have limited time at the moment due to work commitments so larger tasks have to be done over few weeks.

I am intending to install a McCruise, Today's job was to remove the left and right rear middle fairing.

I have Canyon Cages fitted, I also modded the fairing to fit and remove without removing the cages.

I have read numerous posts about fitting and removing the fairing so I decided to video the process.

I did this outside because there was more room and light.

Walking the GTR out of Garage

Remove Fuel Tank Cover

Remove Left Inner Cover

Remove Left Rear Middle Fairing

Remove Right Inner Cover

Remove Right Rear Middle Fairing

Walking the GTR into Garage

Offline clogan

Re: Removing Fairing while Canyon Cage is Fitted
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »
Great pictures...love the green bike.
One question here: I installed my Canyon Cages without making the cut in the middle fairing which would allow later fairing removal. Is it possible to make the cut with the Cages in place? Or must I remove the Cages in order to make the cut?
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:05:55 AM »
One question here: I installed my Canyon Cages without making the cut in the middle fairing which would allow later fairing removal. Is it possible to make the cut with the Cages in place? Or must I remove the Cages in order to make the cut?

They must be removed- so do it on your next servicing.  Here is the cut on my fairings (plenty of other pix in other threads.  I find removing/installing the fairings without removing the cages to be plenty difficult, but still a net gain over removing the cages.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Aegir

• 2012 - Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:12:14 AM »
Thanks for the vids Highett!!  You make it look so easy like those home improvement shows.   8) I too made the modifications and have been practicing removing and replacing.  You're much faster than I am at it.  When re-attaching, right side always seems to go on much easier than the left.  Not sure why but I'll keep practicing.  Maybe if you get some time, can video re-attaching. 

BTW, just moved from Perth back to Austin, TX.  Spent last three years there.  Loved it!  Thanks again for those vids.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:41:19 AM »
Great video's  :thumbs:

Yes, it is possible, I just did mine. I took the blade out of the hacksaw and was careful while cutting. It was actually really easy, and way better than taking the cages off.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
Great pictures...love the green bike.

I thought they were pictures, great videos

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:50:34 AM »
Yes, it is possible, I just did mine. I took the blade out of the hacksaw and was careful while cutting. It was actually really easy, and way better than taking the cages off.

Interesting.  I remember examining the situation closely before determining it couldn't be done properly/safely without removing them from the bike first.  Perhaps you are just more adventurous than I :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Highett

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 12:15:25 PM »
Thanks for the vids Highett!!  You make it look so easy like those home improvement shows.   8) I too made the modifications and have been practicing removing and replacing.  You're much faster than I am at it.  When re-attaching, right side always seems to go on much easier than the left.  Not sure why but I'll keep practicing.  Maybe if you get some time, can video re-attaching. 

BTW, just moved from Perth back to Austin, TX.  Spent last three years there.  Loved it!  Thanks again for those vids.

Even the bike shop thinks the left side is harder than the right side to remove and fit.

I am finding easier each time I remove and refit

Offline Highett

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Interesting.  I remember examining the situation closely before determining it couldn't be done properly/safely without removing them from the bike first.  Perhaps you are just more adventurous than I :)

No doubt its a tight fit and it takes a little wriggling to remove and refit the fairing rear midsections with the cage on however they are pretty strong and won't break when you give them some firm manipulation.

I personally think that there is very little or no time difference removing or refitting with or without the cages fitted.

They are fiddly either way.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »
I personally think that there is very little or no time difference removing or refitting with or without the cages fitted.

They are fiddly either way.
But why would you want to spend another 10-15 minutes taking cages off? Plus they mount to motor mounts, the less screwing around with those bolts the better.

Guess it depends on the work needed to be done. I am replacing a ballast and I had no reason to pull the cages of if it was not necessary.

Again, great videos.  ;D

Offline Highett

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
But why would you want to spend another 10-15 minutes taking cages off? Plus they mount to motor mounts, the less screwing around with those bolts the better.

Guess it depends on the work needed to be done. I am replacing a ballast and I had no reason to pull the cages of if it was not necessary.

Again, great videos.  ;D

Gumby you misunderstood what I meant.

I meant the time it takes to remove the fairing with the cages on  is about the same as it was before I fitted the cages. before & after was fiddly.

I totally agree about the attachment point on the motor bolts, that's why I decided to mod the fairing in the first place

The bolts are an absolute sh*t to get at with the fairing on and why tempt fate and end up stripping threads

Cheers

Paul

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

I meant the time it takes to remove the fairing with the cages on  is about the same as it was before I fitted the cages. before & after was fiddly.

I can see how it could be confusing.
Anyway, I find getting those fairings on and off difficult even before the cages and now a little worse :)  But I don't have much practice either.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
Thank you very much for taking the time to put this video together! It really came out great! I get quite a few inquiries from people asking about this mod and now I can refer them to this video.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
:goodpost: Yes, it is entirely possible that I read your post wrong I do that often, depends on how many beers in I am  :chugbeer:

I do agree with you on the point above, taking the fairing off with cages or no cages is the same. 

I dig that green Connie.  :thumbs:

Offline Highett

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time to put this video together! It really came out great! I get quite a few inquiries from people asking about this mod and now I can refer them to this video.

Thanks Ryan

When I put them back on I'll do the same, Just follow on with the original post.

Cheers

Paul

Offline udoggie

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »
Great videos!

For what it's worth, I just finished cutting the tabs on my fairing, so I don't have to remove the Canyon Cages when I want to take the fairings off.

I did it with both the fairings and cages on.

I just blue-taped the areas around where the cuts needed to be made, and used a small drywall knife.  I also used a little putty knife between the section I was cutting and the fairing under it, so I wouldn't over-cut.

It took around 20 minutes on the 1st side, and about 10 on the second (I figured things out on the fly on the 1st cut.)

Piece of cake.

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
Good to know udoggie. I was hoping I could do the same.