Author Topic: FREE RIDER TRAINING - Advanced Cornering Clinic, Quantico Va.  (Read 20743 times)

Offline Barry

• Arena
Re: FREE RIDER TRAINING - Advanced Cornering Clinic, Quantico Va.
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 06:39:03 AM »
Barry, you missed a good one!  They changed the course to have a lot more turns.  Glad you could make it Chris.  This was a very good class.  No one could catch the C-10, and I passed quite a few in my group.  The "experts" group didn't have to many "experts" in it I found out.

Did you do the Thursday event or Friday event?  It killed me not to make it.  I heard the course was way more fun.

I was supposed to be on BRP in NC with 2 buddies on a bike trip.  Got sick, didn't go.  SUUUUCKS.  You got pics Frank?

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »
I went to the Thursday class and Chris Caffeinated) was there also on his C-14.  Another co-worker of mine went on Friday with his H-D.  I hope they continue this class next year.  The course was a little slower because it had a lot more turns - we even ran it the opposite direction for the 2nd half of the day.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 07:41:11 AM »
It was a blast.  Everyone needs to do something like this at least once a year to keep up your skills and learn more.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »
Ok, here's a question for those of us that are not near Virginia.
Do they do this on other military bases?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 05:12:56 AM »
Ok, here's a question for those of us that are not near Virginia.
Do they do this on other military bases?

Ride safe, Ted

Yes....
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »
Yes....

I have googled fairly extensively and have come up with nothing except Quantico, for a location.  Any links you could post?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 06:30:58 AM »
From what they told us at the briefing,  they are hoping to continue this next year and years after that.  The advanced cornering clinic has to go thru funding approval each year.  Do a search for "Semper Ride" it should show you where that program has been this past year.  Semper Ride kind of travels around the US, whereas the clinic repeats at the same locations.  The Quantico classes are no longer listed on the MCBQ site because the season is over.  I guess we just have to keep our eyes and ears open.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
Did any of you get contacts at the Training? (Contacts that you (or I) could call and ask about other sites.
I will continue to look in Google, but so far no luck.
NOTE: (From memory) On the Semper Ride Site the last date was in Sept.
One of the Rides in August was at Belle Chase in Lousiana. That would be close enough to me to have attended, but it was a Track Day.
Which would be cool....
But, the Advanced Cornering Training sounds like a better choice. (If I were to have a choice).

Maybe next year more will be available....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
Did any of you get contacts at the Training? (Contacts that you (or I) could call and ask about other sites.
I will continue to look in Google, but so far no luck.
NOTE: (From memory) On the Semper Ride Site the last date was in Sept.
One of the Rides in August was at Belle Chase in Lousiana. That would be close enough to me to have attended, but it was a Track Day.
Which would be cool....
But, the Advanced Cornering Training sounds like a better choice. (If I were to have a choice).

Maybe next year more will be available....

Ride safe, Ted

Ed Billig
Drivers Training Manager
703 784 2120
edward.billig@usmc.mil

shoot him a message...he's the man in charge at Quantico, and knows about the other events on other bases.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 06:27:09 PM »
Ed Billig
Drivers Training Manager
703 784 2120
edward.billig@usmc.mil

shoot him a message...he's the man in charge at Quantico, and knows about the other events on other bases.

Thanks for the info, I will shoot him an email tomorrow at work.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
Any up dates on this?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »
I just signed up for April 26th!

https://www.quantico.usmc.mil/opm/Default.aspx?m=QCA&p=cd&c=81

Lokks like they are scheduling events:

http://semperride.com/events/upcoming.aspx

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
just signed up for 26 April as well.  Signed my son up too.  I need to find out if he is eligible though, he's licensed, but not a federal contractor like me.  Anyone know?
Will

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 05:10:10 AM »
just signed up for 26 April as well.  Signed my son up too.  I need to find out if he is eligible though, he's licensed, but not a federal contractor like me.  Anyone know?

I see that there are two classes- Sport Bike on the 26th and Non-Sport bike on the 27th.  Any idea if there is a decided advantage of one over the other given we are on C14's?   
2010 C14 ABS

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »
If you are "comfortable" on your bike, I would say take the sportbike class.  Each day the class is divided into beginner, amateur, and advanced groups.  You can specify which one you would like to start in and move to another if you feel the need.  The non-sportbike day is the more of the "cruisers" (HDs, Vulcans, etc.) and may be frustrating for you because you have the potential to take the corners (and straits) faster and someone may always be in front of you with you riding their butt trying to get around them.  You're not learning that way.

From talking to others in the class (and seeing what they are riding), if you have any skill at all, you probably want the sport bike day.  There are even guys with KLRs an V-Stroms that come on this day.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2012, 06:22:47 AM »
If you are "comfortable" on your bike, I would say take the sportbike class.  Each day the class is divided into beginner, amateur, and advanced groups.  You can specify which one you would like to start in and move to another if you feel the need.  The non-sportbike day is the more of the "cruisers" (HDs, Vulcans, etc.) and may be frustrating for you because you have the potential to take the corners (and straits) faster and someone may always be in front of you with you riding their butt trying to get around them.  You're not learning that way.

From talking to others in the class (and seeing what they are riding), if you have any skill at all, you probably want the sport bike day.  There are even guys with KLRs an V-Stroms that come on this day.

Thanks for the insights.  I just spoke with Ed Billig, at USMC.  GREAT guy.  Once I told him I was riding a C14 he strongly suggested I opt for the Sport Bike class.

Since I will be traveling down from NJ, if there is anyone from the NJ/PA/NY area or points further north interested in meeting up to travel together, let me know.  For those of you in the Quantico area, do you have any suggestions on a hotel?  It's been YEARS since the govt paid my way to go down to either Quantico or the Academy.  At the time, it was mandatory for me to stay in the BOQ.  I have some rather nightmarish memories of the Quantico BOQ!

2010 C14 ABS

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »
Look up your choice of hotel brands in zip code Dumfries area (22025) with a Dumfries Road or Old Stage Road address, these are pretty clean and reasonable.  They would be a little on the north side of MCB Quantico.  The other area would be Aquia Harbor / Garrisonville that are a little south.  They would have a Jefferson Davis Hwy (US 1) or maybe a Garrisonville Road address and a zip of 22554 or 22556.  There is a hotel out front of the main gate but it was still old and worn down last I checked.  The gate to get to Camp Upshur is one exit south from here.  Be advised that it almost takes half an hour to get to Camp Upshur after you come off of I-95 at exit 148 (its way back in there).  There are no services at this exit either (i.e. food or gas).

Edit:  Don't get me wrong, there are some cheap hotels in this area.  I don't know if I would leave my bike outside of one over night though.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
If anyone sees that they are offering these in Lousiana or Texas, please post the info.
If I get enougth advanced notice I would attempt to go. But at this point I don't see any scheduled.
Last year I learned of it too late...

Thanks, Ya'll enjoy!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:14 AM »
You got it Ted!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
Just a reminder that this event is coming up soon!  Check your area for similar events.

For those that are here for the first time, don't forget that the location takes almost 25 minutes after you exit I-95.  Its back in the far corner of the base and there is a lot of morning traffic after you exit.