Author Topic: front brake hose clamps removal  (Read 714 times)

Offline zhangjx0545

front brake hose clamps removal
« on: October 09, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »
Hello Concours riders:

How to safely remove the front brake hose clamps from front fender?
I found the clamp photo, but no detailed description in the service manual. thanks!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: front brake hose clamps removal
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 12:57:06 PM »
Hello Concours riders:

I found the clamp photo, but no detailed description in the service manual. thanks!

I had to deal with those twice, when the third time came up I threw them away. I drilled a second hole below and put a black tie wrap between the holes then I slipped a second tie wrap behind the first one (perpendicular) and loosely around the brake line...and never regretted it.

However, to stop my rant and try to answer your question, I believe the trick is to place a small socket over the sharp protruding ends inside the fender to compress them together and then pull from the other side. I'm not sure of the correct size socket but I'd start with 8mm and go up or down in size as needed (probably down). I don't think it can be done with the wheel in place but...
.....maybe with trump hands it's possible......OH OH...did I hear a sword leaving its scabbard?

DUCK Marty Duck..that's no duck Marty..it's some kind of flaming stick. swoosh

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »
Those are a little tricky- you have to close the two posts and then coax one up and out of the hold. The problem is that it is in a very inaccessible place and so visibility is terrible.

As Marty said, I just cut mine off and chucked it; it is not needed and the brake line never touched any part of the fender or anything else in the next decade. That said, I did watch a gentleman who knew how to remove them take one off in about three seconds and it was impressive. But again, he learned how to do it and the one I saw was not his first time.

Another option would be to buy new ones and cut the old ones off. I did look at the price way back when and they were too expensive to stock them for that reason, at least too expensive for me.

Hello Concours riders:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 02:48:01 PM »
OMG, I hate those.  I tried and tried to get them off and gave up and ended up just moving things around the best I could.  If I *had* to remove them, I probably would end up cutting them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 06:36:51 PM »
You can carefully lever one leg out with a screwdriver then the other pops out.  When removed, chamfer the top edges of the clip.  This allows for easier removal next time.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 08:58:46 PM »
...or you can just cut them and pitch them...

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 04:33:53 PM »
on a shelf.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.