Author Topic: Looking for a project bike.  (Read 8160 times)

gpineau

Looking for a project bike.
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
Whats the going price for a not running C10?
Looking on craigs list there are not many C10s near me.
This is all I could find. https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/denver-86-kawasaki-zg1000/6786764744.html
Is it worth $800? I am thinking $400?

Offline connie_rider

Re: Looking for a project bike.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:54:45 AM »
In the shape it's in, maybe $400; If it were running, and you needed it for parts it might be worth $600-$800. {maybe}

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:07:01 PM by connie_rider »

Offline sport rider

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »
I paid $350 for mine.  plastics were with it, but not good enough to resell for much.  tank had some rust.  it was not running, but overall was ok.  I've got some odds and ends parts which might earn me a little bit to offset the $, but honestly not counting on much.

this pic is what I got to after stripping all the parts off.  I replaced the front end with a ZRX 1100 front end I already had.  I replaced the rear wheel with a meanstreak which I already had.

In some ways you save some time because this one is already stripped.  as long as all the pieces are there which you want to use, you might consider it worth a few hours of your time not to have to get it to this point.  I would not pay anywhere near 800 for that bike at the point the seller has it.  that seat has to go and be replaced by something that looks nice.  the headlight/brackets is not there yet.  the rear brake/running light is crap.  turn signals added back on.  I'd bet money you'll easily spend about a grand getting this to what you want it to be.  I'm on that same kind of track.  the second pic is a mock up of what I want to get to.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »
That's a good start. Post some more pictures as you progress.

I am of the opinion that if the bike is not running you cant ask more than a few hundred. And not running in that shape it is in I would worry about bent rods and carb parts missing.
I think I a going to pass on this one or give him a low ball offer.

I have another thread going about it.  it includes putting pod filters on it just to get everyone's dander up.  :D :D :D

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:24 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm old, I've built countless amounts of bikes... this drama crap gets fuggin old.

Maybe you can now take a pill and chill the F out... dood. The masses have contacted the Borg Collective.

Just sayin ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

gpineau

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:36:15 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm old, I've built countless amounts of bikes... this drama crap gets fuggin old.

man, I'm at the reaches of my rope.

Actually the project I had in mind was building a trike for my wife so she can ride with me.

BUT....  If  doing an EFI retrofit on it would really annoy you then that is what I will endeavor to do

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
Ah, the MOB motivational method at work.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Not poking either one of youse guize about this but that response (from gpineau) just struck me as hysterical. :-)

Brian (Rich has not motivated me to do anything..... so far)

Actually the project I had in mind was building a trike for my wife so she can ride with me.

BUT....  If  doing an EFI retrofit on it would really annoy you then that is what I will endeavor to do
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »
Maybe you can now take a pill and chill the F out... dood. The masses have contacted the Borg Collective.

Just sayin ;)

Rick

Now look what you've gone and done, Rich.  You've poked the bear.  My advice is to follow Rick's advice

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »

Just sayin ;)

Rick

10-4.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

gpineau

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 02:28:58 PM »
Yeeee Haa!
Just got off the phone with him. The bike is mine....

Offline sport rider

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
is it actually missing the carbs, or just off?  Curious to see what you decide with the seat.

gpineau

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
The carbs are in a box along with all the other things he had removed.

He said he had it running good but suddenly he had a little fire under the tank and it melted some of the hoses and vacuum lines on the carburetors.  I got a sweet deal he really was looking to unload it.

I'll take inventory when I get it home.

gpineau

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »
Well I got it home. Not much to work with.  No air box. It was using filter pods. Seat is cut in half an no way to mount it.  Carbs are in a box.  Just about a minimum a bike as you can get.    Really cant tell yet but I think it is lower than my other one. Pipes are not stock. I don't know what they are  just not stock.
Without the plastics and the fenders it is a lot lighter than my other Connie.
Only special thing about it is the tank. Someone put a lot of work into it. I is either chrome plated or someone spend days polishing bare metal. 

Offline sport rider

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »
it's a start!

gpineau

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 10:37:08 PM »
It is still sitting where i left it. Its too cold to get anything done so I spent a week in George Town Grand Cayman.  ;D

Maybe it because all the plastics are gone but it seem to be sitting lower than my other Connie.  I'll have to measure  to be sure.

I was walking through the garage and had a thought ...I wonder if it will start? Well certainly not without carbs. But I had a can of starter fluid. So I gave it a couple squirts and hit the starter switch.  No  hesitation. It roared to life and man it is loud. There is no baffles at all in the pipes.  Fixing that will be the first thing I will do to it. I can't stand it the way is is now. It is deafening.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:16:00 AM by gpineau »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 07:10:32 AM »
It's a shame about the loud, but great news about the start!

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »
Its not big problem. I have already started the fix.  I had the same problem on one of my magna's where the previous owner removed the baffles. It was too loud to ride in my neighborhood.

just takes a couple hours and $25 .
https://youtu.be/vO12cpKhgi4

Offline sport rider

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
It is still sitting where i left it. Its too cold to get anything done so I spent a week in George Town Grand Cayman.  ;D

Maybe it because all the plastics are gone but it seem to be sitting lower than my other Connie.  I'll have to measure  to be sure.

I was walking through the garage and had a thought ...I wonder if it will start? Well certainly not without carbs. But I had a can of starter fluid. So I gave it a couple squirts and hit the starter switch.  No  hesitation. It roared to life and man it is loud. There is no baffles at all in the pipes.  Fixing that will be the first thing I will do to it. I can't stand it the way is is now. It is deafening.

Dude....don't you know loud pipes save lives?  :D

gpineau

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
Loud pipes save lives...and also get your reported to the HomeOwners Association.

My neighbor next door said it's not that big a deal just drive faster than the speed of sound and no one will know it's you.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »
that's why I moved out of an HOA and will NEVER live in another one.  I keep my boat parked in the driveway and my motorcycle trailer on the side of the house.  :)