Author Topic: will get a 2009 concours ABS tomorrow. Advice needed!  (Read 897 times)

Offline zhangjx0545

will get a 2009 concours ABS tomorrow. Advice needed!
« on: September 29, 2020, 08:14:00 PM »
Hello everyone!
new to this forum, because I will get my dream bike in a couple of days. It is a red 2009 concours with 10.7k miles.

A few questions need your advice:

1. the bike has probably been sitting in previous owner's garage for 6 years (based on last inspection sticker) and only changed oil every year. What maintenance should I do as winter projects? there are a bunch listed in the manual, but not sure if they are absolutely needed. Want to postpone something to valve check time.
2. the tires are Michelin, look brand new but 8~9 years old. should I replace them or can get a few hundred mile out of them?
3. I haven't been riding for 7 years, plan to get back into this hobby. I know this is a big bike. any advice on how to safely get back into riding (e.g. what skills to practice, which videos could be helpful)? I am considering do back to MSF course again next year
4. I plan to own this bike for quite a while, how many years or miles of longevity should I expect

Thanks for your advice!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: will get a 2009 concours ABS tomorrow. Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »
1. the bike has probably been sitting in previous owner's garage for 6 years (based on last inspection sticker) and only changed oil every year.

Only every year?  Or the only maintenance done ever has been oil?  As for oil, I change mine far less often than annually- it depends on mileage and type of oil (I use true synthetic).  First change was with dino at 900mi, then with synthetic at 2,631, 9,653, 21,500, 36,117, 43,428.  Lots of opinions on that, of course.

What maintenance should I do as winter projects? there are a bunch listed in the manual, but not sure if they are absolutely needed.

Depends on mileage and what was done and when.  Report that back and people can better answer your question.

Want to postpone something to valve check time.

What is the mileage?
I can say, I waited FAR too long to do my first valve check.  Some were WAY off.  I was fortunate there was (as far as I can tell) no damage.

2. the tires are Michelin, look brand new but 8~9 years old. should I replace them or can get a few hundred mile out of them?

Impossible to know without seeing the wear pattern and feeling the rubber.  Even if wear is OK, tires get harder and less safe over time, especially depending on where it is stored and weather/sun/etc.  I am going to guess they should probably be replaced for safety reasons.

3. I haven't been riding for 7 years, plan to get back into this hobby. I know this is a big bike. any advice on how to safely get back into riding (e.g. what skills to practice, which videos could be helpful)? I am considering do back to MSF course again next year

Take it slow.  Wear all safety equipment all the time- full faced helmet, armored jacket, heavy long pants, proper boots and gloves.  Taking a course is not a bad idea.  Always drive defensively- assume nobody can see you and everyone is out to run into you.  Always be alert.  And don't feel you have anything to prove to anyone.

4. I plan to own this bike for quite a while, how many years or miles of longevity should I expect

Properly cared for, people are reporting 100,000  150,000  and even higher mileage with no major issues.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zhangjx0545

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »
Thanks a lot for your input!

The current mileage is a little less than 11,000 miles. I talked to the owner, and my guess is he only changed oil annually, nothing else has been done.

I am a bit concerned on things like brake hoses and clutch hoses and plan to change them out with a brake fluid change in the winter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 10:45:30 PM »
Thanks a lot for your input!  The current mileage is a little less than 11,000 miles. I talked to the owner, and my guess is he only changed oil annually, nothing else has been done.

That is really low mileage for a 2009.

I am a bit concerned on things like brake hoses and clutch hoses and plan to change them out with a brake fluid change in the winter.

If really nothing else was ever done, and it were my purchase, I would replace *ALL* the fluids (oil, final drive, coolant, clutch, brakes), just because of age (oil just because of certainty and type/brand).  I would also question the battery and tires.  I wouldn't worry about valves for a much longer interval (at least double that mileage).

Not sure what I think about hoses.  That might have a lot to do with how it was stored.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »
I'm going to drop this here hoping it helps: https://medium.com/@okrider/should-you-buy-a-kawasaki-concours-14-8381f5afa60f

Interesting read.  Most I agreed with, and some not.

He is certainly right about it being hard to work on, and the TPS battery frustration.  But it was completely silly to open the bike up to the point of replacing the camshaft sensor O-rings without just going ahead with a valve check, since he was likely halfway there.  So he made a lot of extra work for himself.  I also think his brake/clutch issues were not "typical."

And yep, it is heavy and big as hell in a parking lot :)

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »
I have the same bike ZH - the red one's don't really go faster but they certainly look it.

As said, they're top heavy.  Never come to a stop with the bars turned off centre, even slightly. 

The ABS unit (if fitted) is susceptible to blockage due to lack of regular flush/bleed every 2 years so get that done early.  Plus it doesn't have linked brakes, which is a good thing.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »
Good information posted already.
I'll add a couple.
Absolutely/positively change and flush the clutch/brake fluids!
Assuming the bike has been stored inside, so, I'd stay with the tires "for now".
 But, keep the speed down and inspect them regularly.
 "Before" they wear out you will have time to decide which tires you want to install.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline zhangjx0545

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 08:51:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice! The bike is in garage now, so excited! I am 220 lbs 6’1” guy, seems the size and weight is just manageable when moving around in garage (motor not running, pure man power)
Will look into all fluid changes.

I saw some speed bleeder kit for brake and clutch, do you recommend them? Otherwise can you reach the bleeder while squeezing levers?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 09:18:11 PM »
I saw some speed bleeder kit for brake and clutch, do you recommend them? Otherwise can you reach the bleeder while squeezing levers?

I do recommend them.  I have the Motion Pro and it makes the job faster and easier and one person.  Plus, unlike many people have reported, I had no problems with air.  The clutch bleeder is hard to get to, unfortunately....  At least, when you cheat, like I did, and try doing it without removing any fairings.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »
Otherwise can you reach the bleeder while squeezing levers?     I'm your size and manage ok without s/bleeders.

On the series 1 bike (08 & 09) the clutch bleeder is well exposed and accessible. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
[From the other thread about upgrading to a later bike]
Yeah, and that is another annoyance on the gen. 2 C-14's: the clutch bleeder, the idle adjustment and all drain bottles / lines are easily accessed on the first gen. C-14's. I admit the trade off is worth it due to heat on the rider reduction but it makes some minor maintenance more difficult.

<snip>

The clutch bleeder is hard to get to, unfortunately....  At least, when you cheat, like I did, and try doing it without removing any fairings.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Freddy

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 12:16:17 AM »
Regarding the so called heat issue on the earlier model, I've never had a problem that some folks have complained of.  The bike is stock standard in that area both sides.  I always wear riding jeans and boots no matter how hot the day.