Author Topic: Concours 14 suspension setup  (Read 85632 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Re: Concours 14 suspension setup
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »
How and what do you guys use to measure the pre-load on the front end? I am using the end of a dial caliper that sticks out (one that is used to measure depth) and then measure the extended end against an el-cheapo mm straight edge I have. I am not sure how much accuracy is of concern here.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
How and what do you guys use to measure the pre-load on the front end? I am using the end of a dial caliper that sticks out (one that is used to measure depth) and then measure the extended end against an el-cheapo mm straight edge I have. I am not sure how much accuracy is of concern here.

Are you measuring pre-load or sag ?

For pre-load, IIRC the adjuster has lines, and you can measure it with a straight edge marked in mm.  Sag is more difficult as you have static and dynamic sag to adjust and account for.

Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
Measuring pre-load
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
Measuring pre-load

Ahhh... then you can measure by the lines exposed (say, you can see 4 of 10 lines - as an example) or go by mm exposed, or mm in from max.  Make sure you aren't comparing apples to oranges.

10mm exposed adjuster is NOT the same as 10mm in from full out.  Make sure the adjustment you are tying to reach is either measured from full in, or full out.  Sorry if that's confusing.

If whatever guide you are using says things such as "10mm out from full soft", or "10mm out from full firm", that's easy to follow.

Setting up your suspension will make you a much happier rider.  Trust me.

Good luck,
Barry

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
Ahhh... then you can measure by the lines exposed (say, you can see 4 of 10 lines - as an example) or go by mm exposed, or mm in from max.  Make sure you aren't comparing apples to oranges.

10mm exposed adjuster is NOT the same as 10mm in from full out.  Make sure the adjustment you are tying to reach is either measured from full in, or full out.  Sorry if that's confusing.

If whatever guide you are using says things such as "10mm out from full soft", or "10mm out from full firm", that's easy to follow.

Setting up your suspension will make you a much happier rider.  Trust me.

Good luck,
Barry

O o ! I might have been doing that wrong. I was measuring the exposed adjust from top of the nut where you put your wrench to the bottom of it as shown in the manual. I am confused now...can you explain to me how to measure from all the way in? I think the manual says to measure from the all the way in - of course, what it says did not enter my thick head...
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
Sorry if this muddies the water.  I don't remember what the .pdf said. 

But many times you will read "10 clicks from full soft" or "10 clicks from full firm"... I don't know if that's all they way in, or all the way out.  It can vary on damping settings....  *USUALLY* firm is all the way in and soft all the way out for pre-load.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve (in or out).  But say there is 100 mm of adjustment.  90 mm exposed would be 10 mm from all the way in.  That make sense?

Probably looking at both your guide (the .pdf we have had posted here?) and your manual at the same time, will explain what you need to do.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
I reset my suspension again making sure I read and re-read the manual correctly. Let me first discuss the front end setting and hopefully, someone can chime in if I am doing this correctly.

Pre-load: Per the manual, I just need to measure the distance from the top of nut that you wrench to the base of it to check your preload. I measured mine and made sure I had 14mm on both side. I also counted the number of visible lines in the bolt and they are the same on both sides. For the dampening force, I rotated the dial (for lack of better word), until I was all the way in. Then I rotated it counter clockwise for "5" clicks.

I am sorry for posting this over and over again, but this whole setting is making me buggy! I am finding the ride to be a bit harsh and I want to set it right. But at the same time, I do not want the ride to be squirly. I am trying to set my front end back to factory settings (which according to manual is 14mm and 5 clicks from all the way in). I am thinking my harsh riding is due to my stiff setting on my rear shocks and I will set that over the next few days, but I want to make sure my front is set right first.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »
When making any changes be sure to write down what you currently are running.
If you are tweaking settings make one change and test ride it. I bring the tools along and do it on the road writing down the changes.
Once you get it dialed in the rear pre-load-black knob- should only need a few (or more) clicks in for fully loaded/passenger riding. then a few clicks back for solo.
The front pre-load settings should be given in what the distance is above the fork cap (showing). This and proper tire pressures transform the C-14's handling.
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
I forgot to come back and post what resulted from my "rear preload knob lockup". Took it back to the dealer last Friday. They took into the shop for about 15-20 minutes, then came back and asked me where I wanted it set. I told them 16 clicks in, and that's where they set it. (I'm about 165# or so with gear, had the bags off.)

I asked them what they did just in case it happened again. They said they just worked it loose and that if it stuck again to bring it back. I don't know if they put some kind of wrench with a big cheater bar, or what, but I know that I couldn't get it to move AT ALL.

When I got home, I tried turning the knob and it was very easy to adjust, two fingers and a thumb.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Fearless

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
AWAZ,

You are making the adjustments correctly. If you want to fine tune the ride, just dial the dampening a click or two in or out and then take note on how it rides. Generally, as you screw the dampening in, the suspension will feel firmer and when you dial it out (counter clockwise) it will feel softer. Same with the rear dampening. Turning it clockwise will make the bike feel firmer, and turning it counterclockwise will make it feel softer.

The preload adjustment is primarily for setting the proper sag which is based on your weight.

FYI - From what I understand the 2010 and newer C14s have more fluid in the front forks so the dampening settings might be different than the 2008 and 2009s.

I reset my suspension again making sure I read and re-read the manual correctly. Let me first discuss the front end setting and hopefully, someone can chime in if I am doing this correctly.

Pre-load: Per the manual, I just need to measure the distance from the top of nut that you wrench to the base of it to check your preload. I measured mine and made sure I had 14mm on both side. I also counted the number of visible lines in the bolt and they are the same on both sides. For the dampening force, I rotated the dial (for lack of better word), until I was all the way in. Then I rotated it counter clockwise for "5" clicks.

I am sorry for posting this over and over again, but this whole setting is making me buggy! I am finding the ride to be a bit harsh and I want to set it right. But at the same time, I do not want the ride to be squirly. I am trying to set my front end back to factory settings (which according to manual is 14mm and 5 clicks from all the way in). I am thinking my harsh riding is due to my stiff setting on my rear shocks and I will set that over the next few days, but I want to make sure my front is set right first.
2008 C14 - Flies out, Area-P full system, PCV

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »

I know everyone feels the bike differently. but 14mm preload on the front is too soft. for your size the factory setting are too soft. the factory setting are for a 150lb rider!!   start with the front first and get it feeling right before adjusting the rear. 
 what I have realized is at the factory setting for us big americans is that its not even in the ballpark of comfort. got turn it up just to start to get there. the harsh feeling that I felt was not that the bike is stiff. it was that the bike was so loose that the suspension wasn't doing what it needed to!

try the zip tie trick. put a zip tie on each fork. don't crank it down, just tight enough to stay place but lose enough to slide as the forks move. then ride as you would at any given time. after some time stop and measure the distance between the zip tie and the fork seal. 
 total travel of the front suspension is 4.4 inches(manual) you need around 30mm sag or so. thats "around"  1 1/4 inches. so you should shoot for around 3.25" of travel on the measurement between the zip tie and the fork seal. ride and adjust preload til you get "around" this measurement. 
 damping is where you will find the comfort. one problem with the forks on most bikes from japan is that they are setup for light weight people.  for two up full load comfort the fork oil needs to be changed to a heavier weight oil. if sag can't be set properly then heavier springs will have to be added also!   this is a great bike, but a goldwing its not!

I'm 180lbs. for solo riding I have 10mm showing on the front and 3 clicks out from full in on the dampening,  rear is set at from full out 17 clicks in for cruising and 20 in clicks for twisties, and dampening at 1 turn out from full in.
 for two up with some load I  set the front dampening 1 click out from full in. and go to 25-27 clicks in on the rear and don't change the dampening.

just my 2 cents

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
After reading through this thread and having my Friday beer, I want to thank everyone who has contributed here.  A most excellent thread indeed.   :chugbeer:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
After reading through this thread and having my Friday beer, I want to thank everyone who has contributed here.  A most excellent thread indeed.   :chugbeer:
I would have to agree in all honesty after three Friday vodka martinis. LOL Seriously though good good thread Hic...
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »
FYI - From what I understand the 2010 and newer C14s have more fluid in the front forks so the dampening settings might be different than the 2008 and 2009s.

Glad to have you back, Mr. Fearless. :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
OK stupido here I understand everything but the front fork preload. How and where is this measured as per the manual??? The reference to all the way out is fu$$ing me up. Not in line with the manual....Simple is what simple does should have went to College more years. Anyway help please.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
OK stupido here I understand everything but the front fork preload. How and where is this measured as per the manual??? The reference to all the way out is fu$$ing me up. Not in line with the manual....Simple is what simple does should have went to College more years. Anyway help please.

in the little owners manual, page 195, simple.  righty tighty(in),
lefty loosey(out), 

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »

Yes, the 'all the way out' reference to the front pre-load in the chart attached to this thread messed my brain up too. I think all you need to do is just measure from the top of the nut where you put your wrench to the base. If you are 14mm, you are at stock. Then just wrench it in or out depending on what you want and measure. I counted the number of lines showing on both side to kind of make sure I got them both at the same measurement.

Honestly, I did like the stock front setting (14mm preload and 5 clicks dampening) and the rear at 20 clicks from all the way out. But wife hated it. She got a hurt back and the bumps were too pronounced. I eased the rear back to 16 clicks and she is happy. But the ride is not as sure footed as before. Guess I will have to get used to it.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2011, 08:06:15 AM »
Yes, the 'all the way out' reference to the front pre-load in the chart attached to this thread messed my brain up too. I think all you need to do is just measure from the top of the nut where you put your wrench to the base. If you are 14mm, you are at stock. Then just wrench it in or out depending on what you want and measure. I counted the number of lines showing on both side to kind of make sure I got them both at the same measurement.

Honestly, I did like the stock front setting (14mm preload and 5 clicks dampening) and the rear at 20 clicks from all the way out. But wife hated it. She got a hurt back and the bumps were too pronounced. I eased the rear back to 16 clicks and she is happy. But the ride is not as sure footed as before. Guess I will have to get used to it.

The measurement is actually from the top of the adjusting nut to the top of the nut below it.  Not to the base.  There is a picture in the manual that shows this clearly.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:46 AM »
The measurement is actually from the top of the adjusting nut to the top of the nut below it.  Not to the base.  There is a picture in the manual that shows this clearly.

You are correct. By base, I meant the base of the nut where you put your wrench, but it could be misleading. The owner's manual shows it clearly.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Fearless

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
Good to be back. I got lost during the Web site transition. Looks like I'm starting over with 0 posts. I'm a newbie again

2008 C14 - Flies out, Area-P full system, PCV