Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 853691 times)

Offline tomp

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #840 on: March 08, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »
120 mph, right? 100km = 60m
KPH = 0.621371192 miles per hour, or 100KPH = 621371192, or 62 MPH.  200KPH = 124 MPH.  Whatever, the C14 will probably do that in 4th.  My ZZR1200 exceeded that in 4th, I know. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #841 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »
I had to look twice...I thought for a second it read 200km/hr.

Shhhhh
I think my speedo is acting up. Could have sworn my read 220(136) then it actually read 230(142)for a stretch. I might have been hallucinating.  ::)

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #842 on: March 08, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »

In response to Tomp, just the reflash the flies are still intact. In my opinion, no need to remove the flies with the Guhl reflash

Fork

Offline tomp

« Reply #843 on: March 08, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
Shhhhh
I think my speedo is acting up. Could have sworn my read 220(136) then it actually read 230(142)for a stretch. I might have been hallucinating.  ::)
Nope, no sweat for the 14.  Just watch out for those Mounties.  Hear they are a tough group.  tp

Thanks Dan.  I like mine as stock, but a reflash in the future, may be in order.  Thanks.  tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #844 on: March 08, 2015, 08:27:39 PM »
Installed my ECU after Guhl reflash and took the bike for a ride. Unbelievable! Wish I had done that a year ago. Best mod I have made to the bike. Now it runs like it should have all along if the EPA would have allowed it. [

That was my reaction when I did it to mine, exactly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #845 on: March 08, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
That was my reaction when I did it to mine, exactly.
Max, price and time frame?   tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #846 on: March 08, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »
Still have the flies?  Just a reflash?  tomp

That is the whole point of the Guhl flash (well, maybe 95% of it, anyway)... to have the secondary butterflies open completely very quickly.  The remaining 5% (??) is the fuel trim and top speed limiter removal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #847 on: March 08, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
That is the whole point of the Guhl flash (well, maybe 95% of it, anyway)... to have the secondary butterflies open completely very quickly.  The remaining 5% (??) is the fuel trim and top speed limiter removal.
Gen 1's don't have a limiter, do they?  tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #848 on: March 08, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »
Max, price and time frame?   tp

01/2014 $375 or something

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #849 on: March 08, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
Gen 1's don't have a limiter, do they?  tp

No.  It was added in 2010 (not that it matters to most owners, since few care about going over 154 MPH.  I don't think mine has ever been over 115.)

Offline tomp

« Reply #850 on: March 08, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »
No.  It was added in 2010 (not that it matters to most owners, since few care about going over 154 MPH.  I don't think mine has ever been over 115.)
Taken mine over 135 GPS, but only once, to nose thumb a BMW riding friend.  Is there a site for Guhl or just a secret handshake? 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #851 on: March 08, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »
A big part of the gospel of Guhl is that leaving the 'flies in actually increases intake velocity compared with them removed. That is all fine and well if anyone cares what the velocity is in the intake tract but then somehow that "fact" leads the flock to believe that velocity increase also increases engine power output. So the reflash has something for everyone I guess, the above story for those who choose to believe (or blindly follow idiocy), and humor for the rest of us.

:-)

The easiest, fastest and most absolute way to open the 'flies the soonest is to remove them and put them on a shelf somewhere where they cannot do any harm.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #852 on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »
Taken mine over 135 GPS, but only once, to nose thumb a BMW riding friend.  Is there a site for Guhl or just a secret handshake?

http://www.guhlmotors.com/kawasaki-reflash.html

Offline tomp

« Reply #853 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
A big part of the gospel of Guhl is that leaving the 'flies in actually increases intake velocity compared with them removed. That is all fine and well if anyone cares what the velocity is in the intake tract but then somehow that "fact" leads the flock to believe that velocity increase also increases engine power output. So the reflash has something for everyone I guess, the above story for those who choose to believe (or blindly follow idiocy), and humor for the rest of us.

The easiest, fastest and most absolute way to open the 'flies the soonest is to remove them and put them on a shelf somewhere where they cannot do any harm.

Brian
Brian, I knew I could depend on you to throw logical confusion into the deal.  Appreciate your input.  With Guhl or w/o flies, does it pull like the ZX14 (not R), or more like the carbed ZZR1200, I had?  From 4K up, it was a beast.  Leaned forward and just hanging on for the ride.  tp    Thanks Rubberdown.   WOW, all those chart numbers reminds me of what I deal with at my job.  I hate rows and rows of numbers.   Appreciate the help, though.  tom

Offline Diamondhead

« Reply #854 on: March 08, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »
Can somebody tell me what kind of impact the reflash has on fuel consumption?  Thanx in advance for your reply
Sport-Touracologist

2010 Candy Neptune Blue
05 C10 gone but not forgotten

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #855 on: March 08, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
Yup. I agree, nice 200km Hwy run does a soul good. I had to see if the Dyna Beads did there job. And yea they did.

I wonder if the Dyna Beads affect the TPMS sensors as they fling around in the tire?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #856 on: March 08, 2015, 09:54:21 PM »
Nope- a C-14 is down by 40, 50 Hp and up 140 lbs. from a ZX.... it will not be as quick or as fast as a ZX without supercharging (mechanical or exhaust driven). Even putting a ZX engine into a Concours chassis will leave it considerably lower in performance due to the increased weight and the fact that the two sets of gears in a shaft drive bike consume a lot of power; chains consume almost none.

I do not want to get too deep into this in a general thread like this one though. There are already several, actually many, threads started about the 'pull the 'flies vs. reflash' as well as lots of threads about what both do, some in great detail. I have put quite a few details in some of those threads already and would be happy to comment in either a revived thread or a new one but I really do think the answers are already out there. As always on a public forum, there is a lot of garbage out there too but that is the reader's job, to separate the 'wheat from the chaff', use the good info and ignore the bad. And by the way, there are two companies out there at least doing re-flashes on the ECU so you can avoid that trap too.

I will say though that both methods work (re-flash and physically removing the secondary butterflies) and both have a slightly different set of both positive and negative points. My personal opinion is that a monitored (using an oxygen sensor) system that is 'self tuning' is best, and that can be done two different ways also although neither involves another company doing a re-flash.

There is a member here named Rembrant (Cory) who has gone down both paths with his C-14 and has written in great detail about both methods; I think his stuff is worth a read if you are interested in learning more about it.

Brian

Brian, I knew I could depend on you to throw logical confusion into the deal.  Appreciate your input.  With Guhl or w/o flies, does it pull like the ZX14 (not R), or more like the carbed ZZR1200, I had?  From 4K up, it was a beast.  Leaned forward and just hanging on for the ride.  tp    Thanks Rubberdown.   WOW, all those chart numbers reminds me of what I deal with at my job.  I hate rows and rows of numbers.   Appreciate the help, though.  tom
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #857 on: March 08, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »
A big part of the gospel of Guhl is that leaving the 'flies in actually increases intake velocity compared with them removed.

I haven't read about that one.  Seems like an odd thought process.

That is all fine and well if anyone cares what the velocity is in the intake tract but then somehow that "fact" leads the flock to believe that velocity increase also increases engine power output. So the reflash has something for everyone I guess, the above story for those who choose to believe (or blindly follow idiocy), and humor for the rest of us.

I choose to think it is humorous :)

I don't know about easiest.  It is a lot easier to pop out the ECU and then pop it back in.  But some of us are not as mechanically inclined as others (I being one of the former).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #858 on: March 08, 2015, 10:13:26 PM »
With Guhl or w/o flies, does it pull like the ZX14 (not R), or more like the carbed ZZR1200, I had?  From 4K up, it was a beast.  Leaned forward and just hanging on for the ride.  tp   

I doubt it will ever pull like a ZX14, unless you are prepared to spend a lot more money and do a lot more things than just pulling the flies (like full exhaust, new intake path, larger throttle bodies, etc, etc) and even then it is not gonna.  But removing or nullifying ("Guhling") the secondaries has an immediate and pretty drastic effect on the responsiveness.... considerably more than I expected.  I consider it a "must have" improvement.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #859 on: March 08, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »
Can somebody tell me what kind of impact the reflash has on fuel consumption?  Thanx in advance for your reply

Plenty of threads on the board about it.  It won't affect fuel economy except for the fact that the new found power/responsiveness has you wanting to turn the throttle a lot more to put an even bigger smile on your face.... that tends to destroy economy.  But, if you are willing to flip off the EPA, you can flip off the gas pump too...