Author Topic: Engine coolant recommendations  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Paddymonster73

Engine coolant recommendations
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:07 AM »
I need to do a coolant change in my gtr1400 2009 model and  am looking for coolant recommendations. I have used engine ice in my fireblade and that does the job but did not seem to provide a temperature as low as the previous coolant. I have seen some threads on de-ionised water mixes vs other based coolants. What is best to get?

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: Engine coolant recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:15:00 AM »
Do a search for “Coolant Cocktail”...
'02 C-10

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
I think Engine Ice is primarily marketed for race use.  I have had no problems with Maxima Coolanol or Honda Pro coolant.
The stuff that made by Concours and VFR engines run the coolest was Redline Water wetter but the heat coming on your legs will be really bad on an 09. (The heat has to go somewher)
The VFR HAD a poor cooling syten design with the sideways facing radiators and water wetter was the solution. THe C14 has a great cooling systen and normal coolant will be fine and easier on the legs.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Paddymonster73

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
Thanks Lather. Will go look up the Honda stuff up on eBay.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »
as your profile has no indication of your locale, I have to mention that coolant cocktail is great for reducing heat, but if you live in an area (as I do) where winter storage temperatures dip down low, you may be doing 2 coolant changes a year, one for storage, one for riding season... which gets costly...

but, you can recoup and store the 'winter antifreeze' for the summer, as you arent' really abusing it, it just sits and protects...during the cold months... and you get to rinse the system twice as many times, which doesn't hurt  anything at all...
may start doing this myself actually, even tho I don't have any heat issues on my C14.... it does need a flush and refill tho..

oh, and don't waste money on de-ionized water.... as soon as you pour it into an aluminum engine/cooling system, it becomes ionized water... basic chemistry, and no benefit whatsoever... distilled water is the best, and logical, water... but all todays coolants come premixed, so just drain, flush, pour, and go.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Paddymonster73

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 04:41:00 AM »
Thanks Man of Blues. Duly noted.  I am UK so able to ride year round down to temps of just above zero, frost permitting. I checked out availability of items on eBay from leathers suggestions and the maxima and red line are available but will likely get the maxima or closest to it as the heat on my legs, especially in town riding, is quite intense. Thanks again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:45:10 AM »
I've always used the Honda coolant in my Concours bikes.  In fact still have some on the shelf.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.