Author Topic: New to Sport Touring and Kawasaki's  (Read 7942 times)

Offline Jeep_Lover

New to Sport Touring and Kawasaki's
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
Hello everyone.  Just wanted to take a second and introduce myself.  I currently have a 2004 Honda VTX 1300 with 61,213 miles (every one of them are mine) and just bought a 2016 Connie.  I counting the days till she is delivered, put together and ready to ride.   The VTX is going to sit in Florida at my parents house so I have a bike to ride when I visit.

The one thing that I am worried about is all the electronics.  The dealer offered an extended warranty and said I can add it when I pick up the bike..... yea or nay?  Just want to get an idea if its worth it?  Is there an aftermarket warranty that trumps the dealers?

Last but not least any "must do" mods or additions?

Keep the sunny side up :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New to Sport Touring and Kawasaki's
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Unless your dealer is going price an additional factory three year for less than $400 you can find a thread here... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0    It's the same warranty from Ma Kaw

Offline Jeep_Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »
Thank you for the info....

I will have to put the screws to my dealer.  He did mention it but said I could wait until I pick up the bike to decide.  I'll see what he brings to the table.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
I would have been willing to pay a bit more just to establish a working relationship but the local dealer wouldn't come off the $800 mark. I never went back.

Offline SofaKingFast

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
Hello everyone.  Just wanted to take a second and introduce myself.  I currently have a 2004 Honda VTX 1300 with 61,213 miles (every one of them are mine) and just bought a 2016 Connie.  I counting the days till she is delivered, put together and ready to ride.   The VTX is going to sit in Florida at my parents house so I have a bike to ride when I visit.

The one thing that I am worried about is all the electronics.  The dealer offered an extended warranty and said I can add it when I pick up the bike..... yea or nay?  Just want to get an idea if its worth it?  Is there an aftermarket warranty that trumps the dealers?

Congrats on the new C14.  It's a great bike, I just upgraded from a 2006 C10 to a 2016 C14 in December.  Here's the "must-do" for me that I've added already:
The Kawi 47L rear case since I like the side cases off except for longer trips.
More brake & turning lights, I added this license plate frame on sale now - http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-License-Plate-Frame
Throttlemeister cruise control
RAM mounts for GPS & phone & camera
Polarized pig-tail from battery to connect Battery Tender, air compressor, & power outlet
Plan to add Heli-bar risers
Current bike 2016 C14, Gray
Previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 KZ1000
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »
The bike comes with a 3 year warranty, You can extend it up to 2 times for a total of 9 years. You can get the extended warranty anytime up to the end of the original 3 year so no hurry. I just bought my 1st extension 2 weeks before the original expired.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 12:17:37 AM »

Hello Mr. Jeep Lover, you are in for a big performance boost coming from a 1300 VTX. Just be sure not to "over ride" the original Crapstone 021 tires, and remove them asap. They make this high powered beast very dangerous and squirrely if pushed hard in the twisties when they get 3-4000 miles on them. Do yourself and the bike a favor and get some Michelin PR's or Pirelli Angels, and you can then boogie with the Porsches if you wish.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 05:52:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Unless your dealer is going price an additional factory three year for less than $400 you can find a thread here... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0    It's the same warranty from Ma Kaw

Yeah, what he said.  No worries on the electronics.  Fairly rock solid on that.  I would go with the extended warranty from Pete as it isn't really expensive.  I'm still under the extended and I have the faster '08.  Please bear in mind that the extended warranty does not extend the performance of any lesser color bike.

Welcome to the forum.  If you bring a sense of humor and a thickish skin, you'll do well here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:10:43 AM »
Welcome Jeep_lover! My first bike was a VTX 1300. Going from the VTX to a C14 is like going from a bus to Corvette! Your going to love it!

Offline Jeep_Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
It looks like this forum is active or time got away with work and all.  Thank you for all the great info.

Well going from a bus to a corvette is exactly what I am after so I am going to be grinning from ear to ear  :)  Went by the dealer today and was told it should be here on Friday.  Will post some pics once I pick it up.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 05:46:59 PM »
Welcome - hope you enjoy your new bike - I'm sure you will.  Not sure if there are any Must do mods - but I haven't seen a stock Connie
except on the floor at a dealership.   ;D 

I don't know why people keep calling a Throttlemeister a cruise control - IT'S A THROTTLE LOCK - nothing more.
If you want a real cruise control get a McCruise - not cheap but the good stuff never is.  Mine works better then my 4 wheel vehicles.

Handlebar risers are a popular addition.
A top case is another - after a Phil's plate to mount it on.

Exhaust, seat and windscreen are often changed soon after getting a new bike for some people.

You state your parents live in FL - Where do you live and where are you getting the new bike from?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:15:41 PM »
Congrats on the new ride.

You can buy an extended warranty anytime before the existing warranty runs out, so no need to rush and buy one at time of purchase.

"Must do" mods? Yep, dozens, maybe hundreds of them but I would suggest just riding the bike for a bit and see what you find you want to spiff up your own ride.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jeep_Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »
@silverconnie - Born and raised in the Tampa Bay area but job has me in Kansas City.  I'm guessing you are somewhere down in Florida?

For now I'll probably leave it stock but like others have stated it wont be long till I do something to it.  Now I'll be searching the forums and web for what Phils plate is.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 08:35:50 PM »
@silverconnie - Born and raised in the Tampa Bay area but job has me in Kansas City.  I'm guessing you are somewhere down in Florida?

For now I'll probably leave it stock but like others have stated it wont be long till I do something to it.  Now I'll be searching the forums and web for what Phils plate is.

Welcome.  I'm in Tampa  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 02:37:29 AM »
Welcome mate...you're going to love it!!  :) ;)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 05:11:28 AM »
Welcome!

Concur with the comments on the Crapstone tires. Even at slower speeds I find them squirrelly as hell. My PR4 GTs arrived yesterday. It'll cost me $200 to get them mounted and balanced.  :P
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 11:22:27 AM »
Welcome!

Concur with the comments on the Crapstone tires. Even at slower speeds I find them squirrelly as hell. My PR4 GTs arrived yesterday. It'll cost me $200 to get them mounted and balanced.  :P

:yikes: Bring them to Austin, I'll do it for beer.  :chugbeer:

Offline Jeep_Lover

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 05:38:55 AM »
Hmm let me see.  Austin, live music, flying saucer and beer..... I'm in.  Just tell me the beer you want.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
:yikes: Bring them to Austin, I'll do it for beer.  :chugbeer:

That particular Stealer isn't even a Kawi Stealer, but he's closest to me (still 40 miles one-way). The Stealer that I bought the bike from will do it for $150 -- so the bike is going to go to him for the tire mount and balance AND warranty work on the TPMS batteries. He's 120 miles one-way. I get those irritating messages every morning . . .

Yeah, I know. I live in the middle of nowhere . . .  :banghead:
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »
That particular Stealer isn't even a Kawi Stealer, but he's closest to me (still 40 miles one-way). The Stealer that I bought the bike from will do it for $150 -- so the bike is going to go to him for the tire mount and balance AND warranty work on the TPMS batteries. He's 120 miles one-way. I get those irritating messages every morning . . .

Yeah, I know. I live in the middle of nowhere . . .  :banghead:

If he's doing warranty work on the TPMS batteries, you could make the argument that he has to unmount and remount the tires anyway, under warranty. Only difference is he slips on new tire instead of the old tires.  ;D