Author Topic: Best Seat for long trips  (Read 15505 times)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: Best Seat for long trips
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Excuse me!!!!!!!!!!!  That is my daughter you are talking about  >:(

:P  J/K, I did try to touch her after the pic, that is why there is a restraining order for me in Tallahassee  ???  ;D 

Well, my wife is watching now, so just google "fsu cleavage" and click on images and scroll down, you will find her  ;)

I tried that and when I found similar images, my virus protection went nuts.  Boo

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »
I tried that and when I found similar images, my virus protection went nuts.  Boo

Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
 :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Thank you Cog!!  :thumbs: :popcorn:

Is it just me or is anyone else craving melon now...  :P

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Thank you Cog!!  :thumbs: :popcorn:

Is it just me or is anyone else craving melon now...  :P

Cleanup on aisle 5!!!!

:rotflmao:

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I just got Russel day long mounted on a Sargent seat pan... At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but after a 700 mile weekend and a poker run this weekend, I like it just fine. Not hot spots, not tired butt, just comfortable riding no matter how long in the saddle....
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
I just got Russel day long mounted on a Sargent seat pan... At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but after a 700 mile weekend and a poker run this weekend, I like it just fine. Not hot spots, not tired butt, just comfortable riding no matter how long in the saddle....

I gotta say that is one unattractive seat but after an overnight 600 miler I would have paid good money for it.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
I gotta say that is one unattractive seat but after an overnight 600 miler I would have paid good money for it.

Gotta agree about the looks. Forgetting about the shape of it, the material looks cheap, like poorly-attached vinyl. And it looks like it takes the "sport" right out of a Sport Tourer, because how can you hang off the side when it has those big sidewalls?

OTOH, I have a very nice, expensive Baldwin saddle that I have to get off every 100 miles or so, even if only for a few minutes, or risk Numb Ass Syndrome.  8)

In a couple of weeks I'm making a full-tilt run from Boston to Chapel Hill....it'll be interesting to see how my 57-year-old hiney will hold up. But from there I'm on to The Dragon and the Skyways, and I know I'll be digging my Baldwin then.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 07:27:52 PM »
Y'all must have zoom generous posteriors to require that catches mitt.
Just sayin...  ???
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
I am researching the AirHawk at the present time.  There is no way that I will travel more than 100 miles again on the stocker, modified or not.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »
Just sayin...  ???

Even a google search didn't pull that one up...

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
zoom generous posteriors

Ipad spell checker works in mysterious ways...
Supposed to be "some", but I believe "zoom" may be more appropriate.  :o
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline muguvian

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »
It's obviously just personal preference, but I was able to fix my stock seat with some reshaping and easily handled a 1067 mi day.  Others have used Spencer's work and while I haven't tried it I can say he uses the same material (Supracore) that we are incorporating into the Navy and Marine Corps ejection seat cushions for high mission time endurance.

I narrowed and leveled the nose of the seat, flattened the main seating area so I could slide approx 5-6" forward and back, and lowered the "cliff" separating drivers area from passenger.  I use that to sit most of the way back on the passenger area to straighten my legs for a few miles.  I am going to add some smoothing foam, fine tune one side, and use a HTMoto cover, but you get the idea.  The stock cover stretched just fine even though I ended up removing about 1" in height.  With the narrowed nose there is less pressure on the femoral artery, I can move side to side easier, and have better footing at a stop (even though my inseam is 34" I still felt uncomfortable putting both feet down before the reshaping). 

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »
Just sayin...  ???

Not really, I've got a 34" waist...

The wings support your thighs, taking a lot of pressure off your posterior...

I know the seat isn't too pretty, but nobody can see it when I'm sitting on it. So far I'm very pleased with the comfort level. Have had two 400 mile days, and one day with low miles but with 5 hours in the saddle without any complaints...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »
I have a Russell (built for me) and I can't get more than about three hours out of it before it gets uncomfortable. The stock saddle takes me nearly that far although the discomfort is much worse and is accumulative; a short rest and getting back on the Russell is like starting a new day. I also have a Corbin and cannot ride on that for 45 minutes before screaming 'Uncle' and then I am done for the day. What I have ended up with though is the Corbin with a pair (one for me, one for my wife) of Airhawks on top of it. All day comfort and even after 22+ hours continuous (excluding food, fuel and rest room stops of course) it is still comfortable.

A stock Russell will raise the seating position about 1 1/2" because of the spring construction built on a stock saddle pan. Russell now makes a 'sport' saddle that does not have the internal springs and is made especially for people who do not want to be any higher than necessary. Russell themselves recommends their standard saddle for best comfort though.

The vinyl or leather on a Russell is waterproof but the sewn seams will leak. Because the saddle is dished, it will hold a puddle of water that will leak through the stitches. That is why they make a rain cover because once the foam in the saddle gets wet it will be days or weeks drying out again.

Saddles are a very individual thing, and even the custom made types do not mean they will work for you, at least not without some adjustments. My experience is that there is no way to tell how a saddle will feel after hours of riding on it by how it seems to feel at first; you have to wait until the pressure points make themselves apparent unfortunately. Best of luck finding one that works for you.

Brian

I'm planning a long trip to Yellowstone. Would you say the best seat for the job would be a Russell Day Long?
Are they water proof? I noticed they sell covers???
Also, I have 32" inseam, would that seat put me up any higher?

Thanks
Tony
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CEuler

• Have Fun, Ride Safe!!
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
Its a Sargent and an Alaskan Leather seat cover for me!  Its NICE!!   ;D
2008 Kawasaki C14
COG# 9399
ROK# 100027255

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
my vote on best seat for long rides goes to my OEM HONDA seat  8)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:13 AM »
Pfftt... the stock ST1300 seat was a torture device, you could use it instead of water boarding  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!