Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 2736 times)

Offline yoman

Mirrors
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
Has anyone changed to traditional mirrors on a C-10? How well did it work? How did you blank out the mounting for the orginals? Just thinking about changing the look of the old girl and looking for suggestions.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »
I recently smashed up a mirror, and haven't had the $100 or so to replace it.

I briefly tried mounting using the handlebar studs, but the mirrors would bump into the windshield, which restricted steering.  I could have went with bar end mirrors, but didn't like those and they were more expensive than the mirrors I went with.

Instead, I mounted mirrors very similar to these (mine are black though):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200624687055+&lgeo=1&viewitem=&clk_rvr_id=245325770408&vectorid=229466.

The C10 Mirror is held to the frame mount (where the accordian rubber meets the piece on the front fairing) with a single nut and two 'stays' to keep it from rotating.  Removing the fairing mount can be done with some patience, by removing the windshield and then working a wrench between the shelf and fairing plastic.  Two bolts hold the mounting to the fairing.  There are two other bolts for a fairing reinforcement as well here, but you don't need to loosen these.  If you end up taking all four nuts off, no harm will be done, btw.

I then took the fairing mount piece to the local nut and bolt supply place, and found a hex head bolt that would fit through the hole on the mount, with enough length to 'double nut' on the other side.

I then bought a pair of 3/4" conduit holders:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100119654/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053.

I drilled a suitably sized hole in the end of the curved part, and oversized the hole at the flat end so the bolt I had chosen would fit through the strap.

I used the first nut to lock the bolt into place in the fairing mount.  Due to the fact I couldn't get a longer bolt to fit, there is no washer in place here.  I then used a 'locking' nut to hold the strap in place between the two nuts.

I then re-attached the fairing mount to the front fairing.  Note: this would be much easier if you removed the dash shelf, but I'm stubborn that way...

Then I bolted the mirror onto the conduit strap, and bent it appropriately to the right angle.  At some point, I'll find something more stylin' or paint the strap black...

The bendability of said straps have saved my mirrors on two occasions now, when the bike has went down.  The mirrors I bought have a 'ratchet' feature that allows the mirrors to fold up, and the strap also bends a bit to allow the mirrors to bend further out of the way.

My main complaint with said mirrors is that they have a smaller surface area than the C-10 mirrors, so you see less.  At some point, I may find bigger mirrors or pony up for an OEM replacement.  They do look more sporty, though, although I am feeling the need to find a more stylin' piece of metal to replace the conduit straps.

I'll post pics at some point, but this should give you an idea of what's possible.  The main point is that you can use a single bolt at the fairing attachment point to attach them there, with a suitable piece of metal to change the angle as appropriate.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:46:44 AM »
I too here broke my originals, went with the clutch and brake mounts, like standard bikes. Also limited steering, only bothered me most of the time. It got hot and I pulled the Rifle plexiglass off, now I have full lock to lock. To me the combo looks more sporty, kind of zx-10 ish. I need to get a pic too!

Looking at dremel tool work on the windshield to see what I can do because I like the work, I also have some zx6 mirrors that I have modified to fit the fairing, more upright and without the accordion looking boot. Haven't hooked them up yet, but my speedo just went, so I may try it if I take the fairing apart for that fix.

I plan on using some automotive door trim, kind of looking like this:   Ol     to fill the gap where the mirror used to be, filling the gap between of the inner plastic and the fairing.

I'll get pics today. I promise. Its clean too!

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »
I've owned many bikes, the C-10 mirrors are by far the best of all.
I would spend the $$ for OEM ones

Offline yoman

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Is the spacing on the zx6 mirrors mounting studs the same as the Concours? I have been kicking that option around as well. I know that the Connie mirrors are great, I just want to clean it up a bit.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
I had to modify the zx6 style to fit. Drill the holes a little bit to get them to line up right.