Author Topic: How do you get the lock cylinder out of the side bag key assembly  (Read 1093 times)

Offline ethorpe65

• Enjoy The Ride
Hello all,

How do i remove the key barrel from the Side bag lock assembly on my 2010 ZG1400 Concours?

Thanks in Advance

Offline MtnRider

Re: How do you get the lock cylinder out of the side bag key assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
I made a removal tool from some scrap steel about 1/16" thick. See picture. Looking at the lock cylinder, the largest slide all the way to the left is what latches the cylinder in place. Insert your tool into the key slot and at the bottom push it toward the lower side of the picture. You'll be able to feel the latching pin move to the side and the cylinder should pull out. Looking at the tool, the tab at its left edge could be wider (L/R direction in the pic). Mine is thin enough it can slip under the latching pin so I have to lift it off the bottom of the cylinder and keep it aligned with the pin. Making it wider would reduce the touchy-feely factor and the process a little easier. Hope that helps.

No need for the tool to install. The barrel the lock goes into has a ramp to compress the latch, you just push on the cylinder to install.

Leo

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:21 PM »
I made a removal tool from some scrap steel about 1/16" thick.

Since you can't remove the key in the unlocked position, are you saying using that tool, you can remove the cylinder from the bag without a key and in the locked position?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 06:01:51 PM »
Yes. It has to be in the locked position since you have to have the key out to use the tool. I've only tried it with the key out & in the locked position, anyway.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 06:07:28 PM »
I'm willing to make a better sized one for community use and sharing. Can't say it will be any prettier though.   :rotflmao:
Respond to this thread and send me a PM with your address for the first to respond. Then you're responsible for sending to the next one who needs it. All free of charge. If a couple of people have an immediate need, I can make 2 or 3. I would still like to see them passed around.

PS 1: the bags can be unlocked with the cylinder out with a screwdriver. (Edited)  (Thanks Michelle!)
PS 2: I believe it works on the seat lock cylinder and factory top cases, too, as the cylinder part numbers are the same.
PS 3: To match a cylinder to your current key buy: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kawasaki-kqr-47-liter-top-case-one-key-system-type-1

Leo
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:23:18 AM by MtnRider »

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
PS 1: the bags are still locked with the cylinder out so it's no use to a thief.

Not so. With the key barrel removed the lock mechanism is exposed and the bag can be opened with a screwdriver.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 10:48:24 PM »
Oops. I'll fix that. Thanks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 05:46:18 AM »
Yes. It has to be in the locked position since you have to have the key out to use the tool. I've only tried it with the key out & in the locked position, anyway.

Wow, so much for security :)

Of course, I never thought of it as all that secure in the first place, but having a design like this seems really bad.  Most locks do not work like that, they require a control key, or removal of a bolt or nut or something from the secured side of the lock.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 09:44:12 AM »
Wow, so much for security :)

Of course, I never thought of it as all that secure in the first place, but having a design like this seems really bad.  Most locks do not work like that, they require a control key, or removal of a bolt or nut or something from the secured side of the lock.

Yeah. After posting the info above I've had second thoughts to whether it should be posted in the open, at all. Although, I found this information on YouTube so it is already out there if you look for it. If there's a consensus to pull it, I will.

I also had the "It's not all that hard for a determined thief to get the bags off even if locked" thought.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »
Well, what's the consensus?  Shall it go or shall it stay?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »
Well, what's the consensus?  Shall it go or shall it stay?
https://youtu.be/BN1WwnEDWAM

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
We have a name for this situation in my field:

"Security through obscurity"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 07:44:15 PM »
That can certainly be said about the systems I work with.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.