Author Topic: sound for helmet  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Squishman

• Arena
sound for helmet
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:30:57 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a helmet that is wired for sound with pre installed headphones? Either bluetooth or wired is fine. I'd prefer to have something like that instead of earbuds.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: sound for helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:44:51 AM »
Pre-installed - I don't know.

But there are several companies that make helmets that are designed to be wired up.  Nolan has several, and HJC just recently introduced one.  Nolan has their own kits that install, including headphone speakers and microphone and offer both a wired and a wireless (Bluetooth) communications unit.  The HJC IS-MAX modular is designed to use the Chatterbox XBi2-H com units.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a helmet that is wired for sound with pre installed headphones? Either bluetooth or wired is fine. I'd prefer to have something like that instead of earbuds.

J&M sells helmets that are pre-wired with their stuff...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Organdonor

• Benjammin'
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:07 AM »
I bought a Sena Blutooth headset for my new Nolan and the Nolan had little cutouts that the Sena speakers popped into almost perfectly. In fact, I didn't have to use the included Velcro to adhere them in.

A buddy of mine wanted a helmet that came from the factory with everything built in BY the factory. No luck.
Ben Jammin'
New London, CT
Current: 09 C14 ABS & 2 KLR650's
Past: 87 CBR1000F; 97 CBR1100XX Blackbird; 07 GL1800

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:12:07 AM »
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
Nothing with everything supplied other than maybe J&M but they don't actually make the helmets.

Some helmets are more music friendly than others. And people have wildly different ideas of what kinds/types of systems they need/want.

Look for helmets that come already equipped with speaker pockets and you're half-way there.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
I'm thinking Scorpion made a Blue Tooth helmet.
I would never buy one though as I don't want to be locked in to the their blue tooth device.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »
Thx for all the awesome advice! Going on a 3 day, 4 state ride next month. It will be my longest ride on the Conk.
Can't wait!
Todd
Eagan, MN
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
Ok, I have a really lame question. I have been riding since I have been 16 (50 now) and I never noticed if there is a break-in period for a helmet. Do you ever feel like you need to break it in like a new pair of shoes?
Q: is it a good idea to take a new helmet on a trip?
I am wondering if I should take my old Shoei RF-900 on the trip and begin using the new one when I get back.
My problem is, is that I bought the new one today (Scorpion Exo-700) and it has a chip on the finish, so they are ordering another one. It was the last one in my size/color, so I wouldn't be able to get it until just before I leave, if it even comes on time. So, I will have no time to break it in.
I keep my helmets a little too long, so I just can't remember if there are hot spots like new shoes. 
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
Yes there is a break in period or should be, or its not snug enough. However it should not be soooo snug that it causes discomfort even on a long trip. If you do get into a situation though were you have a specific hot spot, try taking out your cheak pads and the pads on top of your head and look at the stiff foam. You should be able to use a spoon and press the foam in the spots that are causing discomfort and give you a bit more room for your head.

If I just bought a helmet, and it felt ok for an hour or so, I would take it on the trip.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
Yes there is a break in period or should be, or its not snug enough. However it should not be soooo snug that it causes discomfort even on a long trip. If you do get into a situation though were you have a specific hot spot, try taking out your cheak pads and the pads on top of your head and look at the stiff foam. You should be able to use a spoon and press the foam in the spots that are causing discomfort and give you a bit more room for your head.

If I just bought a helmet, and it felt ok for an hour or so, I would take it on the trip.

What he said. Good advice.

Offline m919

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »
motorcycle-super store.com has them on sale
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
Well, I found my color (neon yellow) and size at MotoPrimo. So, that is awesome that I can break it in before my trip.
And I got MotoComm Thumper helmet speakers.
It's all coming together! Thanks for that info Mr Pepsi.
Thx dudes.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
I tried the MotoComm Thumpers in the Scorpion. Sucked. Not loud enough. So, I am going to go with plan b. Use my high-end Sony ear buds. They sound good. No idea how long I can tolerate them. Few hours here and there, I imagine will be fine.

I like the look of that Neon Yellow. I also was thinking about an orange Shoei RF 1100. Looks cool. And high-visibility like my Scorpion to boot. But the Scorp was about 1/2 the cost.
My other helmet is a nine year old RF900. And it is quieter with the shield open. I discovered the Scorp is the same way. The Scorp is really noisy with it closed. I guess you get what you pay for. I don't mind riding with it open. I wonder though, if I shelled out the bucks for the Shoei if it is any better.
Now I see the benefit of a higher windshield. But I don't want that.

Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
I bought two Oneal Tirade BlueTooth helmets from cyclegear.com
Cyclegear.com customer service sucks.
Oneal customer service sucks.
The radio in the helmet sucks.
The intercom in the helmet sucks.
The bluetooth in the helmet sucks.

Other than that, it's a helmet.   :(

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
I did notice this weekend whilst preparing and trying things out, that with the tunage playing, I am not bothered so much by the wind noise.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 07:04:36 AM »
The issue of Rider magazine that I got last week (July, I think) has a review of Bluetooth helmet headsets in it that you might find helpful.

At the moment, I use a really tiny set of noise-isolating earbuds that fit mostly in my ears.  My helmet doesn't interfere with them at all.  I have an MP3 player hooked either directly to them, or through my ham radio, and can hear them quite nicely.  Plus they block out a lot of the wind noise.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »
Does anyone know of any noise cancelling earbuds that reduce or eliminate wind noise?
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 03:45:53 PM »
I just went to best buy and the noise cancelling ear buds are pretty beefy and wouldn't work well in a helmet.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
These are "noise-isolating" as opposed to "noise-cancelling":  (assuming by "cancelling" you mean electronic noise cancellation)

http://wickedheadphones.com/collection/headphones/in-ear/wicked-little-buds

They fit nicely inside my helmet.  The bass isn't fantastic due to the small drivers, but they do work pretty well.  They come with three different tips to fit your ears.

I don't know if you'll be able to find effective electronic noise cancelling headphones for on a motorcycle.  Every set I've ever seen have the microphone that is used to pick up ambient noise on the cord.  For wind noise in a helmet, that mic would have to be on the earbuds themselves to be effective.  (Probably making them even bigger than the ones you saw at Best Buy)