Author Topic: Annoying rattle on new bike  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Gearhead82

Annoying rattle on new bike
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:22:08 AM »
I just joined the forum a few days ago and picked up a new leftover '09 about 3 days ago.  I think my intro post and pic of the bike was up for a whole 12 hours before the forum crashed.

Anyway, I have an annoying rattle coming from the left side of the bike.  It happens between about 3-5k when accelerating through the gears.  It seems to go away or at least be reduced if I grip the clutch master cylinder real tight with my hand, however it is not loose at all.  I even checked and tightened all the screws.  There was an electrical connector just below the MC that was a little loose so I secured it and that's definitely not the issue now.

I'm not even certain its coming from the handle bars.  Just wondering if there are any common rattles that others may have discovered and remedied that might lead me in the right direction.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Mighty

Re: Annoying rattle on new bike
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:45:06 AM »
My leftover 09 had a rattle when hitting bumps.  One of the front fender screws was missing.  Once replaced the rattle was gone.
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »
Instrument cluster on my "08.

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
New bike rule #3:  Go over every single fastener you can get a wrench or driver on and make sure they're tight.

Bikes are 97% assembled at the factory before being crated, then the dealer mounts up the front wheel/fender, bars/controls, any luggage and the windshield (if equipped).  Fasteners can come loose in transport and more often than not the dealer won't go over everything before putting it on the floor or sending it out the door.  I couldn't begin to count the number of bolts and screws I've lost off new bikes in the first few hundred miles over the years.

Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
I took the advice to check all my fasteners and WOW I couldn't believe how loose and inconsistent many of them were. Anyway, snugged them up and went for a test ride and I still had the buzz/rattle. I decided to take my helmet off for a ride around the neighborhood to try to find the buzz. It ended up being the bar-end weigh on the left side! I Busted out the toolkit to make sure the screw was tight and it was. Took the bar end off and went for a ride and the buzz was gone! I ended up putting a small rubber o-ring over the screw between the bar end and the handle bar and now I'm buzz free!

Offline riverbound51

• It's all about the ride.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »
I took the advice to check all my fasteners and WOW I couldn't believe how loose and inconsistent many of them were. Anyway, snugged them up and went for a test ride and I still had the buzz/rattle. I decided to take my helmet off for a ride around the neighborhood to try to find the buzz. It ended up being the bar-end weigh on the left side! I Busted out the toolkit to make sure the screw was tight and it was. Took the bar end off and went for a ride and the buzz was gone! I ended up putting a small rubber o-ring over the screw between the bar end and the handle bar and now I'm buzz free!

I have an 08 and mine still gets buzzy at around 4K RPMS.  I still haven't found the reason.   I gave up looking.  I may try the handlebar ends.  About the only thing I haven't tried.
2008 Concours 14
Always looking for the road less traveled
www.odysseymotorcycletouring.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
Just wondering if there are any common rattles that others may have discovered and remedied that might lead me in the right direction.

None yet- 2011, 500 miles...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:40:23 AM »
There was a screw missing from the bottom of the mirror housing on my '08.  At 3000 RPM or so it would start buzzing.  Got a replacement at the hardware store, now I've got a quieter buzz I can't seem to find,  I hear it in the same RPM range.  It seems to be an ongoing battle.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
I have an 08 and mine still gets buzzy at around 4K RPMS.  I still haven't found the reason.   I gave up looking.  I may try the handlebar ends.  About the only thing I haven't tried.

There was a screw missing from the bottom of the mirror housing on my '08.  At 3000 RPM or so it would start buzzing.  Got a replacement at the hardware store, now I've got a quieter buzz I can't seem to find,  I hear it in the same RPM range.  It seems to be an ongoing battle.

Yeah I would definitely check the bar ends.  It made absolutely no sense as the screws were tight and they didn't feel loose at all.  I've put about 30 miles on the bike since fixing it last night and it's so much more enjoyable now.